Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW35 What have i bought

HW35 What have i bought

Just picked up a hw35.

Stock is a little flakey and scratched but no wood damage. Action looks ok, few speckles that will probably clean up, underside of barrel has a bit of rust. Looks like its never been apart, screw heads are perfect. Looks like its never had a scope mounted but has an arrestor block. Single sided safety, .177, serial number775350. hoots really nice!!!! but only running at 7.7. Breach seal looks old, worn and leather though.
    Missing front sight.

What would you say its worth?
    Age?
    I assume this will have a leather piston seal, do they wear?
    What does the front sight look like? Anyone got one?

Im wondering what to do with the stock. I guess its beech. If i strip it and re-finish (needs it really) what would you finish it with? I did a mk1 airsporter in danish oil and it looks fantastic but will the beech stock come out too light?

Only owned it about an hour and a quater and an hour of that was driving home with it, but i love it already, nicest rifle ive owned
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Age around 1978 or so pre 1980 so should have a leather seal.They can degrade a bit but could be spring related,you need a good breach seal really.The front sight is same as an early HW80.Good rifles that shoot well when in good nick.

I found a thread with some dates, seems it would be 1979 and leather piston seal.

I just remembered, isnt it the 35's that can suffer from leaky breech? Any way to check for shure?

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    Just picked up a hw35.

What does the front sight look like? Anyone got one?

Only owned it about an hour and a quater and an hour of that was driving home with it, but i love it already, nicest rifle ive owned

The '35 fore sight is the standard WH one which fits various models including the '80. They are available new from Chambers but Im sure a 'Wanted' advert on here will produce one.

Damn rifles! Cant stand them myself.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've had two out of three HW35's I've had to do this to

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....t=leaky+breech

Both of them were .177 and they went from 7.5fpe up to 10fpe, which is where they're staying (they are nice to shoot at that power level). Prior to the breech leak fix, I'd done all of the usual (new spring, new seals for the breech and piston and a clean deburr and re-lube) with no increase in power. This might sound odd, but on both rifles, there was a resonance when firing with this fault; it wasn't a twang, but you could tell something wasn't right.
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 22-08-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: additional info' added

I might do the fix anyway just to be sure. I guess there could well be degrees of leakage. As least if its done it wont be on my mind.

New breech seal has helped but still only doing just over 8 so ill strip it, see what the seal is like and do the leak thing. On the plus side its looking quite tidy after a clean and go over with some oooo wire wool.

New breech seal has helped but still only doing just over 8 so ill strip it,
    This: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0 may be of help. Just watch the main spring pre load as sometimes people put huge springs in them. The '35 is one of the easiest rifles to strip. Just watch the barrel shims as your putting them back (well greased) in case you kink them. I put them back one at a time with the aid of a stubby Philips screwdriver.

HTH
    Ian

Thanks. Already had barrel off, cleaned and re greased the lock up. Its never been apart so will be on original spring. I used to have a 77 so ive stripped weihrauchs before. Looks to be full of thick grease though, will be nice to lube it up properly. I have a tin of very high moly content grease thats very thick, almost paste thats done wonders for my bsa's. Its ancient american military old stock

What condition is the seal in ? is it re usable do you think.

Piston seal? Ill find that out later.
    Breech seal? Was a hard crumbly mess.

Piston seal? Ill find that out later.
    Breech seal? Was a hard crumbly mess.
    The piston seal,so far I've not had a breach problem on mine but one I'm in the middle of sorting has low power out put.The leather seal is not bad its the fibre centre part thats shot,spring is too short i reckon & the breech seal is worn,its .22 & has a massive T.P

I was wondering is there is a part missing on mine. When you cock it the linkages comes awaf from the cylinder then slaps back making a clack noise. The leaf springs are there on the bracket and they do a great job keeping the piston end of the cocking link in contact but its the end near the pivot joint that moves.
    On the bracket on the cylinder, in front of the stock bolt, there is a slot. Looks to me like there should be something in that slot to keep the cocking linkage in contact with the cylinder. Am i right?
    If not, there should be and ill make something that fits.

No big issue but the clack when you cock the gun is annoying.

Thats the famous HW click. Subject of many an article in early Airgun Worlds which has caused many a head scratching and problems to hunters. I use a small piece of plastic/rubber piping on the 'bridge' while Optima came up with a sprung loaded plunger down the centre of the front stock screw.

ATB
    Ian