Thread: Advice on best method of cleaning an air rifle bore, post-bluing

Advice on best method of cleaning an air rifle bore, post-bluing

HI, I just wanted advice on the best method of cleaning an air rifle bore after it has come back from bluing. I have an HW95 carbine barrel I recently purchased from off of the forum. It had been reblued with Colin Molloy. I was able to remove a lot of staining from the bore, but just wondered the best method for cleaning. I've used pull thro's and Ballistol and a .177 mop and bore cleaner.

Speaking without the benefit of personal experience I would just try and shoot it clean if it is shooting straight that is.Harry.
    B][/B] .177.Venom Lazerglide HW80(1992)http://s152tobucket.com/albums/s168/...t=19e893ae.pbw

The US Military published the results of a trial to determine the effect of plugging/not plugging barrels for rebluing. Loads of data but basically no detrimental effects with no plugif I remember right there was some improved.
    Will try to find it if interested.

Well, I cleaned mine and had a 1fpe increase, but I don't think it's fully clean, hence my question.

Just shoot it. Unless bore was scrubbed out before blueing its unlikely much will have happened in the tube. Lead residue doesn't take blueing too well!
    You want it fixed when??!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Well, I cleaned mine and had a 1fpe increase, but I don't think it's fully clean, hence my question.
    Hi, if that is the 95K barrel I sold you, it was reblued by RichardH and I put alot of 3-In-1 in the bore to keep it from rusting. Usually I tell people when I do things like that, sorry I should have said for you to run a few patches through it to get it dry again. Sorry.

Alistair, I think you did, but I had some really black gunk come out when I gave it the Balistol and pull thro' treatment, which got me slightly paranoid. I've been putting a fair few pellets thro' it now and it's looking very clean upon inspection. I also sourced a very nice blued steel silencer from Konceptus which sets it all off very nicely

If it's one of mine the salts will have all been removed before return.

My salts will appear a green/brown in the unlikely event any remain, pull it through with meths or thinners to remove any oil and a syringe of boiling water will remove any residual salts instantly.

Then pull through with oil as the meths will remove the protective coating I added afterwards.

If you aren't happy to do this (and it's definitely one of mine!!) pop it in the post and I will do it for you.

Regards

Rich

I fume blued an old barrel and didnt plug - I did use a bronze brush after each boil.. my advise would be plug it if you are fume bluing - there is definitely some pitting to the bore... on the other hand, there was some pitting on the barrel as well as I think my fume box was too small and the acid concentrated a little too much.
    Donald