Thread: Nikon prostaff or MTC mamba

Nikon prostaff or MTC mamba

I have a £180 budget to spend on a new scope. So narrowed it down to two (albeit two quite different ones). An MTC mamba 3-12x44 4A or a Nikon Prostaff target EFR. I have only looked through the MTC and was very impressed but then Ive heard nothing but good about the Nikon.

I will be using it for hunting mainly rats, pigeons and rabbits in quite low light conditions with my HW100.

So, which one would folk go for? And is there any other scope I should maybe consider?

The Nikon.. crystal clear optics more than enough mag for your purpose. you cant beat quality glass even if the reticule is basic.
    It is simply crystal clear see what your hitting even in lower light levels.

all the best..
    Why on earth didn't i buy that sooner.......

Prostaff every time !...

Nikon it is then.
    Uttings seem to be the only place to stock/ sell them, anywhere else do them (just out of interest)?

You seem to be decided anyway, but I would just like to encourage you to go for the Prostaff. I have one on my HW100 and use it for all the things you describe. Low-light performance is brilliant. I have limited experience of the MTC you are considering, and while the Nikon lacks the (in my view) extraneous features of the other scope, optically they are light years apart.

I love the look of the Nikon Prostaff scopes. The reviews by users are epic,

What I don't understand is, that you can buy Nikon Prostaff scopes on the American AMAZON website for £150 but they start at £350 on the U.K. websites.

I was shocked by this, when I went looking the other day.......

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Never looked through a Nikon but I would imagine the glass is pretty good, I have owned a mamba lite in the past, not the best glass in the world although it does the job BUT the mamba lite is a fantastic scope if you decide to buy a NV add on in the future which I personally think is a must for ratting if you want to shoot them in any sort of number, if you just want to shoot the odd few then use a lamp

Alan.

Vortex Dimondback may be worth a looky.., dibatably better glass, maybe a little cheaper & defiantly better warranty...,

Look here:
    http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/rifles/rifle-scopes-64.aspx

But order from XTX on here.., Darrin is increadable service very helpful

Failing that I'd buy a Nikon
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post

What I don't understand is, that you can buy Nikon Prostaff scopes on the American AMAZON website for £150 but they start at £350 on the U.K. websites.

Ouch!
    Mate not sure what websites you are looking at but they start at about £130.00 in the UK for a 4x32.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Mate not sure what websites you are looking at but they start at about £130.00 in the UK for a 4x32.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Www.uttings.co.UK

130-199 depending on the model
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post

Ouch!
    Are you looking at the Prostaff or the Prostaff 5??

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Vortex Dimondback may be worth a looky.., dibatably better glass, maybe a little cheaper & defiantly better warranty...,

Look here:
    http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/rifles/rifle-scopes-64.aspx

Failing that I'd buy a Nikon
    Good advice

I was recently looking at the same two scopes

However, I ended up buying the new Vortex 3-12x42 HP side foucus model, and to date I have no complaints at all. I was also told by the owner of my local gunshop that, one of his customers used to be a salesman for Nikon, and that it was his opinion that the Vortex range of optics were better than Nikons,

John

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ld-bdc-reticle
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

The prostaffs for low light every time....but right now I have the mamba light on my lamping rig. I like both scopes.

If specifically for low light then it should be the prostaff.

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Good advice

I was recently looking at the same two scopes

However, I ended up buying the new Vortex 3-12x42 HP side foucus model, and to date I have no complaints at all. I was also told by the owner of my local gunshop that, one of his customers used to be a salesman for Nikon, and that it was his opinion that the Vortex range of optics were better than Nikons,

John

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ld-bdc-reticle
    That is some recommendation ..! Out of the two get a Prostaff fella, More than you will ever need on a HW100.