Thread: R10 mk2 to Daystate Air Wolf??

R10 mk2 to Daystate Air Wolf??

Hi all,

I am after people opinion....

I currently have a BSA R10 mk2 in 177. I have had the rile for two years now and it shoots great. I use it for target shooting at my local club and for hunting.

Now I know I have no reason for change, as I said the R10 shoots really well, but there is something in me that keeps looking at the Daystate Air Wolf (again 177). I love the looks and the complexity of the on board computer controlling things. The reviews of the rile are great, but it turn it comes at a price.

Can anyone advise if it would be worth the upgrade, as the jump would probably cost me £600-800 pounds more. Would I see any real benefits in this?

Thanks in advance

Chris.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Hi Chris, as far as accuracy goes, you wont notice much of a difference. I have owned both of these guns, and the BSA shoots just as well as the Daystate. The electronics are kind of useful (the bleep facility is handy to tell you when you are down to your last shot in the mag) but it's just another potential thing to go wrong.

Handling wise, the guns are quite similar. I prefer the magazine system on the Daystate's over the R10's (always shot my R10 with a single shot adaptor). The trigger on the Daystate is very light (too light for some), and if you go for the synthetic stock version of the Airwolf, the stock marks very easily and never looks clean (finger marks, grease, etc). Oh yeah, you have no idea how annoyed you will be one day, when you go out shooting, get all your kit laid out, then realise you have left the gun isolation key at home and you have one dead gun (you will do it one day, trust me).

You will see by my signature, that I now own a Wolverine type B, with a 500cc bottle fitted (better balance and around 400-450 shot capacity). I much prefer the mechanical action on this to the electronic system on the Airwolf. If you are hankering after a Daystate, I would seriously take a look at the Wolverine before you buy an Airwolf. The electronics on the Airwolf are kinda cool and blingy, but you soon get used to them once you have one. I certainly wouldnt buy one just for that though.

Summing up, is the R10 a good rifle? yes it is.
    Is the Airwolf more accurate? no it isn't.
    Is the upgrade worth a £700-£800 uplift? certainly not.

Hope this helps matey.

Les
    Last edited by learningcurve; 23-08-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Use the uplift to buy an HW 100 or an AA Ultimate Sporter.
    Then you will have two nice guns.
    In other words Learning Curve is right- not worth the expense.

I have an Airwolf for sale if you want one . Its 2 years old( latest spec) and in as new condition, Pm me if you are interested

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Repeating myself for the umpteenth time here, but, for me, the Airwolf is much more accurate than any other air rifle I've shot, and that boils down to the trigger, I have a bad tendency to tug on a normal mechanical trigger, but with the Airwolf trigger set on it's lightest I have no such problems.

Thank you for all the reply's, they have been really helpful. And thank you Les for the detailed reply, it has really helped me on my decision.

I will stick with the R10 and save the money for now. Will also make the wife a lot happier

Thanks again,

Chris.

Good shout Chris I had an air wolf and honestly you get bored of the blingy electronics I'm back to a rapid (my mfr in my signature lovely gun ) my brother shoots an r10 n it's a cracking little gun.

I honestly don't think the wolf is worth the extra cash or the cost of maintaining them but that's just my opinion mate.
    You had the r10 jb tuned or ratworked or anything like that mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthebirdfish View Post
    Good shout Chris I had an air wolf and honestly you get bored of the blingy electronics I'm back to a rapid (my mfr in my signature lovely gun ) my brother shoots an r10 n it's a cracking little gun.

I honestly don't think the wolf is worth the extra cash or the cost of maintaining them but that's just my opinion mate.
    You had the r10 jb tuned or ratworked or anything like that mate?
    No not had it tuned at all. I have just had the shroud shortened by XTX Air. It shoots really well, I just liked the idea of a Air Wolf, but will stick with the R10.

Have also noticed BSA have released a Super Carbine version of the R10 VC....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris uk View Post
    No not had it tuned at all. I have just had the shroud shortened by XTX Air. It shoots really well, I just liked the idea of a Air Wolf, but will stick with the R10.

Have also noticed BSA have released a Super Carbine version of the R10 VC....
    It's a bit flippin loud with the shortened shroud isn't it?

I had mine done too. If you can find one, get yourself a Swift stumpy silencer for it. Still shorter than it was with the full length shroud, but very, VERY quiet! All you can hear when you fire, is the spring on the trigger

Here's a pic of the stumpy fitted to mine;

Last edited by learningcurve; 23-08-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post
    It's a bit flippin loud with the shortened shroud isn't it?

I had mine done too. If you can find one, get yourself a Swift stumpy silencer for it. Still shorter than it was with the full length shroud, but very, VERY quiet! All you can hear when you fire, is the spring on the trigger

Here's a pic of the stumpy fitted to mine;

Thanks, looks good. I presume it's quieter than the VC?

Yes it is