Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow long stroked

Longbow long stroked

Just wondering if anyone got one v glided and long stroked. Mines in being done currently just wondering what I can expect from standard gun to this tune. Cheers in advance

Wooooooooooooo

Don't all jump at once guys

Not sure if you meant "long stroke" or "short stroke" but judging by the response I would suggest it's not a very popular mod !...

I read bits and bobs of long stroke and Lynn informs me it is available now. So I'm having v glided long stroked. Was hoping someone had it done lol

Does not need long stroking, all the longbow needs is converting to the Diana 28mm seal and a 3.3mm transfer port...shoots awesome like this, with next to no piston seal burn either which hampers other seals that are used.

why over complicate the gun...it does not need it, perfect bore and stroke already!

Well I wouldn't know that, nor would I know where to start lol it's being done now anyway, hopefully it will shoot sweet.

robwelsh
    your in box need to be cleared to make some space..
    cheers

Empty now bud

Quote Originally Posted by robwelsh View Post
    Just wondering if anyone got one v glided and long stroked. Mines in being done currently just wondering what I can expect from standard gun to this tune. Cheers in advance
    Well, I have 4. 3 have +6mm and one has the max +8mm and they are all pussy cats in ALL calibres (don't know about 0.25 though)! One has a 3.2mm TP too. After exhaustively testing the +8mm one, I had a +6mm one converted and then 2 more and I don't do that just for the hell of it! (Scottish Dwelling Yorkshiremen don't throw money away!)

You will enjoy that when you get it back!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by robwelsh View Post
    Well I wouldn't know that, nor would I know where to start lol it's being done now anyway, hopefully it will shoot sweet.
    I'm genuinely puzzled and it doesn't happen that often! Could I ask especially given your post quoted above WHY you are spending your hard- earned on something that experts on here tell you isn't necessary? I assume SOMEONE told you it was a good idea? It rather looks as though you decided for reasons best known to yourself to have it done before you got the replies to your original post.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I'm genuinely puzzled and it doesn't happen that often! Could I ask especially given your post quoted above WHY you are spending your hard- earned on something that experts on here tell you isn't necessary? I assume SOMEONE told you it was a good idea? It rather looks as though you decided for reasons best known to yourself to have it done before you got the replies to your original post.
    That's that sorted then! I've wasted a lot of hard earned dosh making significant improvements to some of my BrumBows even though I am not an expert!

Never mind, I will console myself with knowing (yes; knowing they are are improved) since I'll probably get banned for this!

Hey Ho! The proof of the pudding etc!

atvb
    David

and that as Chief Ten Bears was fond of saying "Is all I have to say"

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    ...and that as Chief Ten Bears was fond of saying "Is all I have to say"
    You can't leave it at that!

What about the really important question? Is the recoil a gentle nudge in the shoulder?

Will it be any advantage over getting a Patriot?

I mean if you want more Power mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Agentum View Post
    Will it be any advantage over getting a Patriot?

I mean if you want more Power mostly.
    Oh boy, looks like we have opened up a Hornet's nest here! Here's my take on it!

I have 11 BrumBows in a mixture of calibres, 0.177, 0.20 and 0.22. The 0.22 variants are really quite easy to tune to a very satisfactory and stable state and shoot very sweetly. The 0.177 variant however, was always harsher and much more difficult to get (and keep) on song.

It's not a power issue per se and the Patriot is not part of the equation since it's a real beast of a machine and the last one I tried was operating at 34 ft.lbs! The Tomahawk however IS a good starting point. In it's usual FAC form the Tommy has a stroke around 98mm, smaller than the Patriot, and in re-vamped 12 fpe guise a stroke of about 85mm in which state it is very sweet even in the smaller calibre (I know that since I have a V-Mach Cobra in 0.177 which can poke out fly's eyes at well over 50m all day long (in the right hands!). The cylinder is then far too long and the LongBow was, I believe, an attempt to rectify that but it was rather overdone and the stroke of 78mm with standard seal or just under 75mm with a Venom or V-Mach seal is somewhat inadequate and would be far better nearer the sub 12 Tommy.

It seems that the maximum stroke achievable within the constraints of the LongBow cylinder is 8mm but at that increase a special cocking link is required (I used a modified Tommy link!) and the auto-safety feature is sacrificed! The maximum stroke increase with piston changes only is 6mm which gets it with 1mm of the sub-12 Tommy so becomes the baby Tommy it should have been in the first place.

This mod does not get the attention it merits due to the rather lower numbers of BrumBows around when compared with the HW models. I hope that by now, experienced airgunners would have appreciated that there is not a "one size fits all" solution for all makes and models and that since the airgun is a complex multifactoral machine, it's overall performance is dependent upon many factors simultaneously.

Let's quickly draw a liberal analogy! Everyone seems to accept that a 25mm piston version of the HW77/97 is far "better" than the later 26mm variants! So 1mm in diam makes a big and noticeable difference. The Webley pistons are almost 1mm greater than this so sit in between the early 77 and 80. Adequate support of the "one size doesn't fit all" viewpoint.

It would be interesting to know who advised the mod for the thread starter but whoever it was should be congratulated!

Pity we are not closer together as you could try a +6mm stroke BrumBow in the 3 calibres I mentioned and a +8mm on in 0.22. I will convert more pistons as time permits so all mine will have longer strokes but at the moment other tasks are mopping up the time.

These mods are only KNOWN to apply to BrumBows and an investigation into TurkBows would be required (may have been done but not by me!) before applying the same techniques!

Hope that helps!

atvb
    David

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Great info David

So if the std stroke is 78-75mm, that's clearly in the short category already. And that's pretty unusual for a UK full power gun.

This explain Nick's post - I was just as confused, as 95% of UK full power guns have too much stroke.

Pedantically, in the context of this post, long stroking isn't really the correct title; as whilst we're talking about increasing the stroke (for .177s), we're only talking of increasing it to end up with a medium stroke gun !

Either way, all good info and the original post makes far more sense now

Rob, let us know how you like it when it comes back, but if David's already done the research, and the stroke change is in the same kind of range, it should soften things up nicley