Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet catcher

Pellet catcher

Hi to everybody. I am new to this and would like some views on which is the best pellet catcher
    and a good way to deaden the noise.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi

I think theres more than one way to skin this particular cat
    I've seen plumber's putty in baking tins, sand traps, carpet tiles and all sorts...me, I use a study wooden box stuffed with rags and use a hardboard clipboard at the front as a target holder.

I use a sturdy cardboard box stuffed with rags and because it is the right size I can simply tape a piece of A4 paper on the front. The only sound is a pop as the paper is perforated by the pellet and a very soft thud as it buries itself in the rags behind
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

Plumbers Mait from Wilco on tray is good as a back stop behind spinners etc (you can see where you're missing) but can be hard to work and messy if trodden into carpets! Any kind of box stuffed with old rags or paper and an aperture cut out the front is as good as anything for paper targets as it collects the pellets and is free. Knockdown targets and spinners are a dearer way to go but can last years and give feedback when hit. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

argos catalogues and old yellow pages in the back of an old ammo case

I use a cardboard box filled with several layers of old carpet and with a steel sheet at the back, 'just in case'.
    The front of the box is fitted with a sheet of hardboard with a cut-out for targets and a bulldog clip to hold target in place - very successful.

I use a big block of lead. The pellets just stick to it making it bigger.
    hoplophobe

I've been using a cardboard box stuffed with thick magazines etc. to test my rifle indoors.

Stupidly, I forgot to check it regularly and a pellet has just gone through and into a piece of furniture behind it.

I know I was using a 12ftlb rifle, not a pistol, but, whatever you're using keep checking that your pellet catcher is still up to scratch.

In future I'll release pellets only into the garden.

I haven't told my missus yet, and I'm not looking forward to telling her.

This is going to ruin my Friday night.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Very similar to previous posts

I made a wooden box out 5/8" timber to a depth of 4" and just big enough to house old mags/newspapers. Fill the box to 3/4 then cover opening with cardboard using drawing pins to hold it in place. Pin whatever target onto the cardboard front and shoot. The pellets get trapped between the gap so no mess, very quiet. Replace mags/newspapers and top cardboard when required

Pellet catcher

I made mine from a dismantled kitchen. Made a box from the panels and then made an angled steel sheet that is fastened into the sides of the box, then that and the bottom are covered with old pieces of carpet which can be quickly replaced when they have been shot through. Also the box at the bottom catches all the pellets from whatever angle or range, and at the moment I have about 2kg of lead to get rid of.
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    I use a big block of lead. The pellets just stick to it making it bigger.
    Same here, it's weird how quiet lead backstops are, isn't it? Much less fuss than having to replace bits of carpet etc., much less messy than old catalogues and magazines which shed scraps of paper everywhere when shot up for a bit. The only downside is melting the lead to make one, it can be dangerous if you're not careful and should be done somewhere well ventilated.

Red face lead backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Same here, it's weird how quiet lead backstops are, isn't it? Much less fuss than having to replace bits of carpet etc., much less messy than old catalogues and magazines which shed scraps of paper everywhere when shot up for a bit. The only downside is melting the lead to make one, it can be dangerous if you're not careful and should be done somewhere well ventilated.
    Hi Rob why not buy some sheet lead from builders/roofers store and fold it to the thickness you want or better still keep an eye out for roofers working they'll gladly give you the old lead flashing if that's what they're repairing, saves the melting job, just my two pennyworth.

Melting the lead was a pig of a job, not for the faint hearted. Safety precautions such as goggles, gloves etc. were taken, but it was still a scary procedure. Using folded up roofing is a good idea, but I had a rectangular tin that I wanted to fill with lead so that it could be mounted vertically in a wooden box which would hold the backstop and targets, so it made sense to melt the lead into the tin as a way of securing it in place. I also had hundreds and hundreds of shot pellets, scrap lead soldiers from a friend, wheel weights, and assorted other bits of scrap lead including roof lead, flashing and some old lead pipe that I wanted to use in the project. I think another time I probably would use folded roof lead as you suggest and just chop in all my scrap lead at the scrappy though. It's probably less hassle that way!

The backstop works well though, it's surprisingly quiet, you need about 40mm thickness to stop a 12 ft/lb pellet without the back of the lead slab and the tin bulging eventually though.

What i've also done is coat the backs of shop bought target holders with the plumbers mait (quarter inch thick) and just shoot the targets without removing the pellets. The pellets get stuck to the putty and build up a lead backing that lasts months. Easy to scrape off and replace when necessary. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If anyone wants a large quantity of lead scrap free on collection (shot pellets) in the Norwich area....PM me