Thread: Webley mark 3 rifle spring and piston washer question

Webley mark 3 rifle spring and piston washer question

I'm in the process of renovating a .22 Webley Mk3 rifle No. B2068 and would like to know what the original spring length should be for a new spring ? The one I removed from the gun looks too good to be original, it has 30 coils and looks like it's got plenty of life left in it. Also, can anyone tell me what piston washer this gun should have, leather or whatever else they used ? I was expecting to find leather but it had a plastic/nylon one fitted held in place with a metal washer and screw. Thanks.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Mk.III Mainsprings

Ist. Type with tag reading ‘Mk3 AR40’:
    Length = 9 ½” x 27/32” x 29 coils (24.2cm x 21.54mm) Approximately, as each spring differs slightly.
    2nd.. Type bulk packed x5:
    Length = 9 ¾” x 53/64” x 29 coils (24.8cm x 21.30mm) Approximately, as each spring differs slightly.

The later type could also possibly be used in the Mk.II Webley Service Rifle.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 29-08-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Spring measurements wrong way round

Thanks for that, I guessed you'd answer. Mine looks like a the second type then although it's 10 cm larger across. Any idea what washer type I should use ? As I said in the OP mine looks like some sort of hard plastic/nylon although the outer edges have turned to mush. One other thing if you don't mind, can you point me in the direction of a plan for a home made spring compressor, something I can rig up with sash cramps ?

MK3 should have a leather seal assembly, easily available fron j knibbs or chambers, soak the washer in leather seal treatment before fitting, once fitted leave it for a day before cocking/Firing the gun, do not be tempted to skip this stage as it will allow the seal to "mould" to the barrel shape/size and give a good fit, this procedure is well worth the effort and will pay dividends on how the gun fires and feels.
    These are far better with the leather as they also damp the piston, I have used a mk3 with a ptfe seal and it was horrible, very harsh recoil and pistol slap.

Replace ALL parts of the seal assembly including the bolt and washer. Part No: AR20 from John knibbs and Titan leather oil to soak it.. Chambers do similar, complete seal and treatment oil should be around £20 altogether from either.

If fitting a non standard spring go for a Titan XS

I'm not an expert so others may not necessarily agree, just going on what I have experienced having done a few MK3's and still using one regularly
    Last edited by nige346; 29-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Thanks for that, I guessed you'd answer. Mine looks like a the second type then although it's 10 cm larger across. Any idea what washer type I should use ? As I said in the OP mine looks like some sort of hard plastic/nylon although the outer edges have turned to mush. One other thing if you don't mind, can you point me in the direction of a plan for a home made spring compressor, something I can rig up with sash cramps ?
    I did the spring measurements in answer to someone else's similar question some time ago, and I suspect the main difference is the diameter ,so the second pattern can be used in the Service as well, and this avoids the Service cylinder having to be honed to accept the earlier spring.
    I've just realised I've made a cock up on the measurements, so will do them again, correctly.

The answer to your piston head question has been answered above.

I use an old 36" record adjustable sash cramp as a spring compressor, with some 1.4" thick leather glued to the faces. I use a couple of long releasable cable ties to secure the cylinder to the bar, with material between the bar and cylinder to prevent damage.

Thanks for all the replies. Just waiting for the re- blued bits to come back from Colin Malloy.

Don't use a Titan mainspring,they are much too stiff and will make the rifle hard to cock and harsh to shoot.
    Pete.

I have genuine new Webley Mk.III mainsprings, not tagged, @ £15 plus postage.

Flatragectory, what springs would you recommend and Troubledshoter, thanks for the offer, I may well buy one from you. while I think of it, what lube do you guys recommend for the spring ?

Flatragectory, what springs would you recommend and Troubledshoter, thanks for the offer, I may well buy one from you. while I think of it, what lube do you guys recommend for the spring ?
    I would recommend an original spec mainspring for this rifle. As for lube I use Millers red rubber grease or Castrol moly grease......sparingly.
    Pete.

I've bought an Abbey maintenance kit which recommends the included LT2 grease on the spring. Will this reduce the 'twang' or should I get what's been mentioned above ?

I've bought an Abbey maintenance kit which recommends the included LT2 grease on the spring. Will this reduce the 'twang' or should I get what's been mentioned above ?
    Yes , the LT 2 is moly grease so fine, but just give it a light coating all over.
    Pete.