View Poll Results: Which is the better rifle?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA Airsporter

24 43.64%
  • Webley Mk III

5 9.09%
  • They are both cr@p.

0 0%
  • Both good in their own way.

26 47.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter VS Webley Mk III

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Airsporter VS Webley Mk III

It seems that there are more people on here that like BSA Airsporters than those that like the Webley Mk III... which is strange because I was lead to believe by AGW in the 70s and 80s that the Mk III had a very big following amongst the Senior members of the airgun fraternity.

I like the Airsporter more, a the Webley has a strange pistol grip and stock, is lower powered and is not as pretty. The build quality is high, but its not a rifle I have ever had any attraction or sympathy for.

I voted 'both good', but only because of the MK1 & MK2 'sporters. Later Airsporters - I wouldn't give them cupboard room.

I did love the Webley MK3 I had, and to me, it felt nicer than a BSA.

Also fancied my long slabby Original mod 50 in a similar way

Well I voted for both good in their own way.

But I sold the only MK3 Webley that I owned and currently own seven Airsporters. The webley just doesnt do anything for me.
    BASC

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Well I voted for both good in their own way.

But I sold the only MK3 Webley that I owned and currently own seven Airsporters. The webley just doesnt do anything for me.
    That is what I feel about it - even though the rifle has a less tank-like level of engineering and a better trigger. The Mk III cocking lever is much nicer than the Airsporter one for example... but the low comb and general feel is not nearly as appealing as the BSA.

The Webley MK3 was a copy of a German gun that was a copy of a pre war BSA.

The BSA Airsporter on the other hand was the natural evolution of the prewar BSA and was the dogs bollocks.

All the best Mick

Thumbs up

I like them both and have a few of each (More Airsporters than mk3 by a long shot!!)

Seen the most gawjuss Mk3 today though that was chequered and refinished

I wanted it... nay.. I NEEDED it!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I cant choose have and love them both

The webley was always under power to the airsporter, and for me the airsporter looked the better rifle.

I had this dilema so I bought one of each.
    Airsporter looked better, handled better, shot better and was more accurate so the webley got sold.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I voted 'both good', but only because of the MK1 & MK2 'sporters. Later Airsporters - I wouldn't give them cupboard room.
    Agreed, but the later 'S' variants had a certain class and Ive seen some Mk 3s with some outstanding wood work so I voted for both.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Agreed, but the later 'S' variants had a certain class and Ive seen some Mk 3s with some outstanding wood work so I voted for both.
    The thing for me is that the Airsporter is probably the best looking gun ever, well until the Prosport came a long.
    And the Airsporter balances better for me.
    BASC

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

this comparison has surfaced many times over the years on forums and over cups of teas in gunshops and dubious brews in country pubs.
    and not without good reason ;they both represent routes of airgun history equally valid in their own right and have a following to suit.
    my personnel preference as an engineer is with the mk3 [early types] but harking back to when they were the current airguns of choice ,the airsporter was on the wish list of aspiring air-gunners in my neck of the woods never heard mention of the webley .i have an example of each and admire both for different reasons with the weight of preference falling in favour of the mk3. on one occasion i had both out on the bench for maintenance when my mrs passed by and asked what model it was pointing to the bsa, and commented that it was one of the best looking air-rifle i had;this is from someone with no interest what so ever in airguns !;if it were for looks alone the airsporter would be streets ahead.these threads are always interesting and lead to various comparisons that had not occurred to me and learn from; one notable alternative was the fwb v orig 45.there are many others to boot .
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Some mk3s

Some Airsporters.. And a few other beesas..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Cant comment on the BSA, do have 2 mk3's, their quality/finish is better than any other brand I've seen.
    ATB,
    yana

I recall being challenged by a French Airgun nut at a club in 2007.
    He had a Mark 2 Airsporter and I had an early Mk3 both .22.
    At 25 yards the Webley won pretty convincingly.
    Which surprised us both.
    Nice Chap who loaded up his car with a variety of airguns bought here and went home.
    Apparently the French don't do airguns they just get hunting rifles.
    He was the exception.
    He also put up with being called Napoleon by the kindly Range Officer.