View Poll Results: Which is the better rifle?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA Airsporter

24 43.64%
  • Webley Mk III

5 9.09%
  • They are both cr@p.

0 0%
  • Both good in their own way.

26 47.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter VS Webley Mk III

I've had a comparison test for these two classics at the back of my mind for some time now. Both rifles indeed have their good points, so pleased this option was offered in this poll. The Airsporter is superior in terms of looks and power, whilst the Mk 3 wins in the accuracy and shootability stakes for me. I have found the Airsporter to be a very pellet fussy rifle, my current example liking nothing other than the limited supply of 1990s Eley Wasp I tried in her.

John

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Apologies but I am biassed and afflicted with a severe case of Airsporteritis!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

The W&S was far better made and "solid" compared with the early Airsporter but the latter was my favourite because of the performace it offered. It would shoot rings around a MK111, leaky tap and all

Ive owned both these classics and the webley is better built , but I much prefer the Airsporter , I bought a Mk3 about 3O yrs ago and shot a few pellets and hated the bloody thing I oiled it up and put it away till last year when I got it out and fired a few shots then thought why the hell did I keep this for so long and sold it , one rifle I will never miss . I like Airsporter's was tempted today by a nice Mk2 for £15O but managed to walk away
    A few nice rifles

So we all agree the Webley is a better gun, but 8:1 prefer the clanky old Airsporter!

I vote for both because I have a MK2 &5 Airsporter but hanker after a webley mk3 (if anyone has a reasonably priced one please pm me!, hope not breaking any rules by asking!)

The early fluted stock double pull triggered Webleys came closer to my perfect rifle, the early Airsporter, than the later clunky stocked MK3.

I have ten Airsporters,three MK1's,five MK2's,one transitional MK1/2 and one RB2!

I have two Webley MK111's an early 50's model in VGC and a late production model also in VGC.

The Airsporter wins for me!

Are there more crap Airsporters around than Mk 3s?
    I ask this because the 3s I see tend to be in pretty good nick unlike the many battered Airsporters about.

Also what are the numbers made of each.
    I presume more Airsporters?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Are there more crap Airsporters around than Mk 3s?
    I ask this because the 3s I see tend to be in pretty good nick unlike the many battered Airsporters about.

Also what are the numbers made of each.
    I presume more Airsporters?
    Probably as the Airsporter was a better hunting tool, they got used (and abused more) ....One idea.

I like them both in their own way, have never found personally a big margin in accuracy between them in similar calibres / conditions. If I had to chose one of each calibre it would be a MK1 Airsporter in .22 and a toss-up between an early supertarget or Club Airsporter in .177, I would find the .177 choice really hard though.

The Webleys often have very nice Walnut stocks, and the trigger blade (for me) is better, and trigger action is also better if fettled, but I prefer the look, balance and shooting feel of the Airsporter.

I have owned and repaired more than one MK3 with cocking arm problems however (bent arm causing latching problems) and also the taps can occasionally have issues, so am not 100% convinced of the often mooted "ultimate" build quality, but then again the BSA can suffer from cracks in the three piece stock, but generally I consider it a more robust tool, and have had examples that had been abused dreadfully, but still worked well.

So for me personally the Airsporter (Mk1...I don't even like the MK2!) is the one to have if you only can have one.

No contest for me - Airsporter every time as far as the early versions are concerned (Mks 1 & 2 - I don't much like what little I've seen of the later ones). Webley has superior finish to metalwork, but a beast to use for a teenager in the 1950's. Cocking lever too short, and very poorly shaped for the fingers - this of course leading to unsteady shots. Mk 3 also had a rather crummy stamped trigger guard like the very cheap guns, although more highly finished. Early Airsporter a dream to use by comparison - handled well, much better looking, more powerful and more accurate (in .22 anyway, never used either in .177). I swapped my Mk 3 with 2 brothers (rich!) who had between them 2 Airsporters one in each calibre - they had my .22 Mk 3 and I had their .22 Airsporter - one of the best trades I ever made. Airsporter a good solid British design developed from the excellent pre-war BSA rifles, not a copy of a German product itself a copy of ... ... a BSA! As far as general purpose air pistols of the period are concerned Webley are the tops IMHO, but for rifles BSA all the way - Cadet, Cadet Major and Airsporter.

ATB Chris S.

Could be that Ed.
    I've had a few of each and most went because they were not good shooters.
    But I now have an early .177 and a 66 .22 mk3 and a mk2 .22 Airsporter which all shoot well.
    I must look out for a MK 1 Airsporter now!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I prefer the look of the Mk1 & 2 Airsporters, but after that it has to be the Webley every time. But thre's no option for that, si I had to go for "both good in their own way".
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

The Airsporter is probably the nicer looking and sleeker of the two but I prefer the mk3 for its solid construction among other factors - this was also my first 'serious' air rifle when I was about fifteen. I have 13 mk3's, 3 Airsporters and a Club.

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    I have 13 mk3's, 3 Airsporters and a Club.
    13! And I thought I had a soft spot for HW35s.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk