Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springer safety, its no joke, take a look

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Springer safety, its no joke, take a look

Came across this its a timely warning to use correct safety when operating a springer and also to make sure you know what you are doing when messing with trigger units.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/air-gun...4h9i2l9opinm06

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I know this was a BB , but this is why I really don't like sliding comp tube guns with no ABT - HW77/97/TXMk1.

By contrast, LGU/TXmk2/3, PS, Diana all have decent mechanisms.

RBs are good and safe too of course - but not very efficient due to length.

Obviously holding the barrel / lever is a must, but a proper ABT gives that little extra insurance.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have a 97k and never let go of the lever. Truth be told, it scares me even then!

I've invented a new safe method of loading under levers. Instead of having a big lump of metal with huge amounts of force behind it ready to cut off your thumb, a simple mechanism between the comp tube and barrel could accept the pellet. I'm not sure whether dropping the pellet in and turning it in a kind of "tap" arrangement, or a flip-up section would be best, but either has to be better than an open breech.

As an aside, does anyone really trust an aftermarket extended latch rod? <shudder>
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Rotary breach

BSA Superstar rotary breach must be the safest loading mechanism produced yet.

A chap on my facebook posted a pic of himself loading a springer, his finger was on the trigger while the other hand was loading the pellet!! I commented with "Take you're fingers off the trigger when loading!!" His reply was "that's what safety catches are for"

WTF! Some people really are brain dead
    BSA SuperSport

Could have been a whole lot worse.
    Could have cracked the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

Obviously holding the barrel / lever is a must, but a proper ABT gives that little extra insurance.
    It never ceases to amaze me how many "experienced" shooters still don't hold the lever whilst loading!

Quick tip for those not aware....On many, many guns, rather than loading whilst the spring is fully compressed, how about opening the barrel / lever just enough to facilitate pellet loading. You have a full and proper hold on it, and are fully aware that any tension is YOUR responsibility solely. Load the pellet. Then complete the cocking stroke and return lever. I ALWAYS load my HW 45 in this manner and have also occasionally loaded rifles in this manner. Once you've done it, it soon becomes second nature.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

seen similiar...

My first ever rifle was a scrappy Chinese sidelever. Me and my two best mates spent ages plinking away with it. Then one day one of my mates was shooting, and the other was loading cor him. The mate shooting swore he never touched the trigger, however his loader ended up with his thumb stuck in the loading port! Bearing in mind we were 13, there were tears, but luckily no lasting damage. Lesson learnt!
    prone position down!

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Came across this its a timely warning to use correct safety when operating a springer and also to make sure you know what you are doing when messing with trigger units.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/air-gun...4h9i2l9opinm06

Kindest regards

Barrel
    I've just read the post on the that forum and the thread went from airgun safety to foreigners being seen first in the hospital post strange

Its been commented before, but even Walther's "beautiful people" video ad on youtube has the same thing.
    Its a bit like taking both hands off the steering wheel to check your map for your motorway exit.

Oh well, opposable thumbs are an evolutionary advantage; Perhaps its just Darwin's theories at work

That's a good tip Tony.
    I will give it a go.

I always hold the lever and did so on my 57 for a few weeks until my friends pointed out that I could just put it back and load.
    This being the whole point of the system!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    I've just read the post on the that forum and the thread went from airgun safety to foreigners being seen first in the hospital post strange
    Why is that strange.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have a 97k and never let go of the lever. Truth be told, it scares me even then!
    The 77/97 are quality springers but I think that hw should update with a ABT, I don't feel safe using them after reading about the cocking lever link wearing and cracking and dropping out of the piston, as even holding the lever would not be safe.
    I don't think that not much can be done about BB's but just holding the barrel satisfies me

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    Could have been a whole lot worse.
    Could have cracked the stock.
    You can get a new stock mate, but you can't get new fingers

Its images like this that put me off sprinters, I almost had a similar incident with a Webley Vulcan air rifle neary 25 years ago, I accidentally pulled the trigger with my right hand whilst loading a pellet into the breach, the barrel came up suddenly and bang caught the bottom of the kitchen table allowing me to pull my fingers to safety, no harm done just the shock and adrenalin rush realising how fortunate I had been.

Unfortunately even the most experience shooters make mistakes from time to time.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

I'm actually amazed that such things as this is not happening more often, i see people alot that doesnt even holding the barrel when loading or the lever.

Some buy those vrey cheap china made Shanghai with underlever and is sticking fingers in front of the pistong, so it's amazing it doesn't happen more.