Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springer safety, its no joke, take a look

Not much sympathy, I'm afraid, how many more things could the dope have done wrong?
    The only accident we've had in the last 12 years was a new guy with a BB out on the course on his own, finger inside the trigger guard, barrel let fly, foresight made a bad gash and a nasty bruise on his forehead, stock broke,,barrell bent. Funnily enough, he never came back! since then, every member has a written copy of our safety policy, and springer safety is part of our safety brief.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many "experienced" shooters still don't hold the lever whilst loading!

Quick tip for those not aware....On many, many guns, rather than loading whilst the spring is fully compressed, how about opening the barrel / lever just enough to facilitate pellet loading. You have a full and proper hold on it, and are fully aware that any tension is YOUR responsibility solely. Load the pellet. Then complete the cocking stroke and return lever. I ALWAYS load my HW 45 in this manner and have also occasionally loaded rifles in this manner. Once you've done it, it soon becomes second nature.
    Yup, mandatory for an HW45 IMHO - that'll chop all your fingers off in one go !

I often load my BBs that way too if there's enough clearance (not always possible) in the "broken but uncocked" position.

I always try to remember the olde saying, that somebody has as their sig' on here:

"Never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your cock"

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I always try to remember the olde saying, that somebody has as their sig' on here:

"Never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your cock"
    Remind me never to borrow your gloves!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    As an aside, does anyone really trust an aftermarket extended latch rod? <shudder>
    Like the ones you sell??

Good reason for short stroke-ing break barrels when you break the barrel it drops more making it easier to load a pellet then cock and return the barrel in 1 motion with your finger no where near the breech.

No reason not to hold the barrel/underlever with practice its easier that way anyway.

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have a 97k and never let go of the lever. Truth be told, it scares me even then!

I've invented a new safe method of loading under levers. Instead of having a big lump of metal with huge amounts of force behind it ready to cut off your thumb, a simple mechanism between the comp tube and barrel could accept the pellet. I'm not sure whether dropping the pellet in and turning it in a kind of "tap" arrangement, or a flip-up section would be best, but either has to be better than an open breech.

As an aside, does anyone really trust an aftermarket extended latch rod? <shudder>
    Like a BSA Improved / Lincoln Jeffries. Cock the under lever, drop the pellet in a hole in the top of the breach, turn the lever and good to go.
    Nice and safe

Surely if you always hold the underleaver or break barrel when going through the loading process then whats the issue As always common sense rules

I can't shoot them, I have this reflex action that makes me put my hands in my pockets when I come near a machine that can lop my fingers off. It has only failed me once but they stitched me back together, the nail and the nerve regrew so no harm done.

scary stuff. I have in the past though about using some kind of hardwood block in the breech when loading my much loved hw97 ?
    the thought of trigger and cocking arm failure at the wrong moment does make me shudder a little sometimes when loading it .......adrenalin isn,t good for shooting, right ?
    gat gun .25 cal

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    I can't shoot them, I have this reflex action that makes me put my hands in my pockets when I come near a machine that can lop my fingers off. It has only failed me once but they stitched me back together, the nail and the nerve regrew so no harm done.
    Glad to hear you are OK. Can you give a little bit more detail as to how the accident happened. I have read a couple of posts on this thread about possible cocking arm failure on underlevers whilst loading, surely the chances of this happening if you have a firm grip on it must be incredibly small (has anyone had a cocking arm fail because of pin or other breakages occurring?). My logic is if you keep hold of the underlever or barrel whilst loading you will be OK.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Here are a couple of videos of cocking a BB. The first one seems simple when seated. The second one a bit more convoluted changing over hands to secure the rifle underarm. In both cases the hand is well away from the trigger guard.

Be interested to know which (if any) is the preferred/most common method.

The third video demonstrates what NOT to do, and resultant knackered barrel...could be worse.

Stock supported on hip:
    How To Safely Use A Break Barrel Air Rifle: http://youtu.be/R9c_qh2hEMU

Stock supported underarm:
    How to cock a break barrel airgun: http://youtu.be/tvqmeqnHcsI

Whoops:
    What Not To Do With Your Break Barrel Air Rifle: http://youtu.be/FhmZxHOAgOI

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I have read a couple of posts on this thread about possible cocking arm failure on underlevers whilst loading, surely the chances of this happening if you have a firm grip on it must be incredibly small (has anyone had a cocking arm fail because of pin or other breakages occurring?). My logic is if you keep hold of the underlever or barrel whilst loading you will be OK.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Did you see the pic and airgun world article that I posted in another thread, if you enlarge it you should be able to read it
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd499305c.jpg

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Did you see the pic and airgun world article that I posted in another thread, if you enlarge it you should be able to read it
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd499305c.jpg
    Sadly mate even when I enlarge it the print distorts, is there any way around this as I would like a read.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Sadly mate even when I enlarge it the print distorts, is there any way around this as I would like a read.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Try now I have enlarged it, click on it to enlarge
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...4.jpg~original