Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springer safety, its no joke, take a look

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Try now I have enlarged it, click on it to enlarge
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...4.jpg~original
    Thanks mate thats an interesting read, It would seem that the real danger is the stress fracture. As this was caused by components missing and incorrect assembly I don't think I will get to concerned apart from looking at this area of the gun more closely when ever i tear it down. I love Weihrauchs but this is yet another reason why I wish I had purchased another TX.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Ouch that looks bad but i remember seeing a worse injury somewhere on the internet and it was a thumb that had been splattered and nearly chopped off in a HW 77, the only good thing with these type of mistakes and poor handling is you will never do it twice lol.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsman View Post
    Ouch that looks bad but i remember seeing a worse injury somewhere on the internet and it was a thumb that had been splattered and nearly chopped off in a HW 77, the only good thing with these type of mistakes and poor handling is you will never do it twice lol.
    Maybe the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-A0k6tWsQ

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I tell you what.., I've almost did it just by closing the barrel on my EVO too fast. I was holding the action with the corner of my right thumb hanging out just a litte close to the breech and it got caught by the closing breech block corner & opening a nasty but no stiches needed patch pinch/cut not far different from this chap. It did remind me that keeping hose digits clear & holding the barrel are VERY VERY important.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Maybe the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-A0k6tWsQ

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Thats the one mate,

looks painfull i always keep tight a hold of my barrell on my 77

I do absolutely love my tx200 mk3 but it does take some getting use to, sticking your fingers into the breech is a little unnatural.

I know the people in "the know" will start going on about tp lengths and all that but I do think a tap loader is a great configuration. I love my old AA Sidelever tap loader.

Having said that I have decided my next acquisition shall be a Diana52 in 177. Sidelever with a sliding breech. Not sure if you can load a pellet whilst still holding the cocking lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Agentum View Post
    I'm actually amazed that such things as this is not happening more often, i see people alot that doesnt even holding the barrel when loading or the lever.

Some buy those vrey cheap china made Shanghai with underlever and is sticking fingers in front of the pistong, so it's amazing it doesn't happen more.
    i agree and if you do have a DB4 which i do. dont disable the anti bear trap and that goes for any rifle to, ok you mite get rid of the crunch sound of the bear trap ingaging and smoother coking but better the sound is the gun and not your fingers.
    Tony 10 fingers call, me a sissy who cares.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo23 View Post
    I do absolutely love my tx200 mk3 but it does take some getting use to, sticking your fingers into the breech is a little unnatural.

I know the people in "the know" will start going on about tp lengths and all that but I do think a tap loader is a great configuration. I love my old AA Sidelever tap loader.

Having said that I have decided my next acquisition shall be a Diana52 in 177. Sidelever with a sliding breech. Not sure if you can load a pellet whilst still holding the cocking lever.
    That's one of the safest springers to load that you have there, so don't worry.
    On the TX200 it would take 3 faults all at the same time to cause injury, as long as you hold on to the under lever while putting your fingers in the Lion's mouth.
    1) the trigger sear would have to let go.
    2) the cocking link would have to fail.
    3) the anti-bear-trap mech would have to fail.

Alternatively if the trigger sear didn't fail but you accidentally pulled the trigger the auto safety would have to fail.

On the HW77/97 it's reduced to 2 failures and a known weakness in the cocking arm increases the risk.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    That's one of the safest springers to load that you have there, so don't worry.
    On the TX200 it would take 3 faults all at the same time to cause injury, as long as you hold on to the under lever while putting your fingers in the Lion's mouth.
    1) the trigger sear would have to let go.
    2) the cocking link would have to fail.
    3) the anti-bear-trap mech would have to fail.

Alternatively if the trigger sear didn't fail but you accidentally pulled the trigger the auto safety would have to fail.

On the HW77/97 it's reduced to 2 failures and a known weakness in the cocking arm increases the risk.

Cheers

John

Yes the TX is one of the safest sliding breech springers, also the lgv and diana sidelever have the full safety set up, the pro-sport and the diana underlevers have a ABT that works off the linkage so there is one of the things you mention missing(a separate ABT) but its still a ABT that works OK
    I wonder if its time that HW fitted a ABT to the 77/97 instead of messing about with the so called improvements to their break barrels LOL only joking HW fans
    Last edited by Barryg; 02-09-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Like the TX, the Diana uses a ratchet to lock up the comp tube, so as ABTs go, it's pretty good, unlike the HW, which relies on a piece of thin metal, (easily damaged,) to block the lower sear only. Worse still, there is a small spring that can fail, so you think the HW ABT is working, but it is doing nothing. Always keep hold of the lever to make sure, whatever the rifle is..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo23 View Post

The Diana 48/52 is probably the most awkward gun to load with all 3 levels of safety at once.

What I do is:
    Hold the gun on it's side, butt pad tight in the pelvis area.
    Pull the cocking lever up/towards me to the first click of the ABT ratchet. That allows plenty of room to load.
    Still holding on to the cocking lever, the flat of my left hand can press on the gun just forward of the breech while finger & thumb fit the pellet in.
    Then cock it the rest of the way.

The above only uses two points of safety (ratchet + holding on to the cocking lever), but once the lever is cocked all the way (engaging safety point 3 - the trigger sear), it seems impossible to effectively control safety point 2 (holding on to cocking lever).

Plus, if things do go wrong, there's a lot less pressure there at the first ratchet click compared to fully cocked all the way.

The above is an evolution of a HW77 technique, that involves pulling/holding the cocking arm just enough to slip a pellet in with the other hand (thanks to Mick for that one ).

HTH

P.S. In my view, the two major factors in these springer 'accidents' are poor loading techniques & slippery (oily) guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many "experienced" shooters still don't hold the lever whilst loading!

Quick tip for those not aware....On many, many guns, rather than loading whilst the spring is fully compressed, how about opening the barrel / lever just enough to facilitate pellet loading. You have a full and proper hold on it, and are fully aware that any tension is YOUR responsibility solely. Load the pellet. Then complete the cocking stroke and return lever. I ALWAYS load my HW 45 in this manner and have also occasionally loaded rifles in this manner. Once you've done it, it soon becomes second nature.
    Thanks for the tip, blindingly obvious once someone mentioned it, I'm always telling my son to hold the barrel when loading, this is a far better approach.
    www.gadjet.co.uk
    BSA Ultra SE multishot .177
    Swiss Arms P1911