Thread: Shepherd Scope 6-18x40 Varmint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interesting findings Kes.

Majority of reviews a few years back concluded that while concept was good, glass quality was awful.

Maybe things have changed - how old is your unit?

Rgds

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

I had a play with one a few years ago. Two reticles with two sets of controls - My effing head nearly exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I had a play with one a few years ago. Two reticles with two sets of controls - My effing head nearly exploded.
    What do you recall of the glass quality?
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Nice review Steve.
    This was my old scope, we had 2 samples from Shepherd and in the end decided not to proceed because dealer margin wouldn't work. I spent a night shooting with Musclefox and the shepherds compared with his Zeiss pretty well. Beer hunter in Aberdeen tested the scopes and came to a similar conclusion - superb glass.

i advertised them at bargain prices on here but nobody took a punt, silly Billies .

Steve's a good old boy and so we offered him one at mates rates. He trusted me enough to have it. Good result.

Great scopes, if you can get one do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    What do you recall of the glass quality?
    Afraid I couldn't really tell mate. A friend brought it to the house one evening, asking if I had a clue about opperating it.

Sadly I didn't. But I tried to buy it off him

*I think Gary C. had 2 or 3 of them for sale recently, so he prolly knows more about them.

IIRC Shepard sell scopes to the US military or police, and it certainly seemed nicely mil-spec & Waltish to me

edit: * Beaten to it by the very man!

Hi Kes,

In fairness, I was referring to reports from the late 80s/early 90's when Shepherd scopes first emerged with their multi stadia reticles. The bracketing rings were a great answer to 'pre-LRF' range finding and still makes for an effective and quick system. Fairly calibre specific, the system is great, just as long as your targets are 9 or 18" units.

The 'one shot' zero system is of dubious value in reality - but the value of being able to see if there has been movement in the cross-hairs is worthwhile to my mind.

The likes of 'Guns & Ammo' had interesting articles on the potential for long range .22 shooting with the units & I was highly impressed by the possibilities for silly range plinking.

Shepherd vanished off the international scene for a time, and it is quite probable that their re-appearance has co-incided with improvements in optical technology and manufacture.

I believe their glass is now made by Nikon - says a lot!

Rgds

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Interesting findings Kes.

Majority of reviews a few years back concluded that while concept was good, glass quality was awful.

Maybe things have changed - how old is your unit?

Rgds

Mod
    Couldn't say for sure. Probably a couple of years at most.

It surprises me that people thought the glass quality was poor. I think it's great. I even looked through a Zeiss Duralyt today and thought, "yeah glass is about the same". To be honest, for something that's costing around £700, you'd expect the glass quality to be at least entry-level-top-end wouldn't you?
    Who knows? I could be waxing lyrical about an optic that you or anyone else might think is rubbish for the price (I doubt it mind ) but for me, the best I've ever owned in terms of glass quality was a Bushnell and this is far better. I'd love someone else on here to have owned one and add their own perspective.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.