Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hege Siber-A-Lausanne .33 pistol ball moulds & loads

Hege Siber-A-Lausanne .33 pistol ball moulds & loads

I bought a second hand Hege Siber pistol a couple of days ago. Tried to find a second hand Feinwerkbau History 1, but no luck.
    Iīv read that Siber was the pistol to have before underhammers came. So it should be ok. At least it fits much better in my hand than my clubmateīs Pedersoli Le Page .31 that I have used in all Kuchenreuter competitions this summer.

Do you guys know, when were the original Siber-A-Lausanne pistols produced? Any pictures of one online? I havenīt found anything yet..

Pistol came with two moulds, Lee single cavity and some locally made mould that I canīt even use with my bottom pouring pot.
    Cast well over 100 balls with that lee mould ..not fun. Is that lead casting channel in Lee 18ball 00 buckshot mould easy and fast to remove?
    That buckshot is stated to be .330 in diameter. Do those work well in pistols? Good accuracy etc.

Pistol came with two pages of loading info (in german that I donīt understand much) that has photos of groups shot with Siber and load info under each group. Load info of best group says:
    8gr of Swiss no.1,
    .330 round ball,
    0.005" (0.12mm) patch
    "MOS 2 fett" <- What is that?

I use Swiss no.2 in my revolver. Do I need to dispense different amount of no.2 to reach same accuracy what 8gr of Swiss no.1 has?

Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post

I use Swiss no.2 in my revolver. Do I need to dispense different amount of no.2 to reach same accuracy what 8gr of Swiss no.1 has?
    molybdenum disulphide grease

Ref No 2 v No 1: No. 1 is faster because the grains of powder are smaller .25mm - .5mm, v No 2, at .5mm - .8mm. It is not really possible to predict what an individual pistol will prefer. Start out at 8gn of No 2, then vary the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    molybdenum disulphide grease

Ref No 2 v No 1: No. 1 is faster because the grains of powder are smaller .25mm - .5mm, v No 2, at .5mm - .8mm. It is not really possible to predict what an individual pistol will prefer. Start out at 8gn of No 2, then vary the load.
    Yes. 'fett' is German for 'grease', as in 'waffenfett' - the stuff we use on the Schmidt-Rubin and K31 rifles. It is the word from which the English word 'fat' as in cooking fat etc is derived.

tac

any photo of your new pistol

Ok. I found some mos2 grease, so Iīll test it maybe tomorrow.
    Just bought a bottle (1kg) of Swiss no. 2 powder.. Prefer using that on both guns.

Itīs a bit dark here for cellphone camera, but I took a couple of pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/as13fs6d9...Avz-7SyQa?dl=0
    will try to take better photos tomorrow.

very nice

Ok. I found some mos2 grease, so Iīll test it maybe tomorrow.
    Just bought a bottle (1kg) of Swiss no. 2 powder.. Prefer using that on both guns.

Itīs a bit dark here for cellphone camera, but I took a couple of pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/as13fs6d9...Avz-7SyQa?dl=0
    will try to take better photos tomorrow.
    Please give my best wishes to the people of Turku, remembering my younger vacation days spent there with friends...sigh. Oh, nice pistol, too.

tac

Siber

I bought a second hand Hege Siber pistol a couple of days ago. Tried to find a second hand Feinwerkbau History 1, but no luck.
    Iīv read that Siber was the pistol to have before underhammers came. So it should be ok. At least it fits much better in my hand than my clubmateīs Pedersoli Le Page .31 that I have used in all Kuchenreuter competitions this summer.

Do you guys know, when were the original Siber-A-Lausanne pistols produced? Any pictures of one online? I havenīt found anything yet..

Pistol came with two moulds, Lee single cavity and some locally made mould that I canīt even use with my bottom pouring pot.
    Cast well over 100 balls with that lee mould ..not fun. Is that lead casting channel in Lee 18ball 00 buckshot mould easy and fast to remove?
    That buckshot is stated to be .330 in diameter. Do those work well in pistols? Good accuracy etc.

Pistol came with two pages of loading info (in german that I donīt understand much) that has photos of groups shot with Siber and load info under each group. Load info of best group says:
    8gr of Swiss no.1,
    .330 round ball,
    0.005" (0.12mm) patch

Hi Tac,

This looks like the same manufacturer?

http://www.icollector.com/Swiss-Parl...iber_i13827476
    Gordon H

Uh, 'Siber á Lausanne' should give you a clue.

Jean Siber, from a family of watchmakers, lived in Lausanne, Switzerland. He produced his fine target and saloon pistols around the middle decades of the nineteenth century. The shop still stands.

tac

Shot 92 and 95 series today with Siber. Barrel should be ok. Powder dose and patch/grease need some experimentation.
    Barrel grooves look somewhat dark. Hard to clean them. My revolver barrel is shiny. Do you guys do some kind of lapping to ml pistol barrels?

Also, the primer nipple flash hole seems very big compared to nipples in my revolver. Nipple thread is propably M6, but what pitch?

Shot 92 and 95 series today with Siber. Barrel should be ok. Powder dose and patch/grease need some experimentation.
    Barrel grooves look somewhat dark. Hard to clean them. My revolver barrel is shiny. Do you guys do some kind of lapping to ml pistol barrels?

Also, the primer nipple flash hole seems very big compared to nipples in my revolver. Nipple thread is propably M6, but what pitch?
    If the barrel has gone dark, then that is a metallurigical process and is not reversible, due to the formation of low-grade acids during the powder burn process. It is unsightly, but is not harmful. Some powders do this, and some do not. Yours did. None of mine did.

DO NOT LAP YOUR BARREL! Hege do this as part of the very low volume manufacturing process.

You'll have to call Hege to find out about the nipple - these pistols might be lying in every corner of the gunstore in merry ol' Finland, here in yUK but I've only ever seen one in my life, and that was at a gun show.

tac

Shot 92 and 95 series today with Siber
    good shooting ,at what range?

We shoot at 25m range. 13 shots like in a competition, best 10 included in score.

I use Swiss no2 powder, but who knows what the previous owner had used.. Possibly Wano.

We shoot at 25m range. 13 shots like in a competition, best 10 included in score.
    yup how i practise too,also at 20m too

Do you know, what kind of lead alloy is used to make H&N round balls?
    I got a bag of .330 rb from my clubmate few weeks ago. I have shot my best groups with those projectiles.
    First test a couple of weeks ago gave really nice group, but it was a bit low.. Today I shot 96p and 94p targets.
    Maybe it is in my head, but I have shot cast projectiles during same training sessions. H&N balls just seem to group better.

I measured that my own mould drops dia. .3294" balls (averange of 10 measured) vs H&N balls are .3331"
    There is also small difference in weight. Is this difference big enough to be significant?

I used lead sheets I bought from local scrap yard to cast these balls. Are H&N balls pure lead or some kind of alloy?
    If alloy, how hard is it?