Thread: Being stopped while moving between perms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Being stopped while moving between perms

Hi there,

After a bit of advice, I've been working between a few perms that are situated all in roughly the same place. Everything has been relatively quiet but in the last 3 weeks I've been stopped twice by cars that are using the back roads. They're usually want to know what's in the bag and where I've been, so I make a effort to be as vague as possible. However I recently was stopped by some traveller who was keen to get a look at my gun and try buy it from me. Took me a good 30 min's to get away from him and I then see him again parked outside one of my perms with a couple lads now in the car with him so I make a quick exit.

Should I be calling the police or maybe move on for a bit? I could just be paranoid but when your carrying £400 worth of equipment on you I don't really want to be taking chances...

Have a chat with your local rural police officer, and give him details.

Could be nothing, could be more sinister.

Perms are sooo 70s.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Perms are sooo 70s.
    Should'nt you be out fishing

could be a nosey pike after your permission would inform your local plod if anything untoward happens you could end up in the frame
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    Should'nt you be out fishing
    Shouldn't you be learning how to spell 'shouldn't'?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Shouldn't you be learning how to spell 'shouldn't'?
    nooo it was a deliberate mistake to anger the grammar police

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rapid View Post

What ^ he said and get the registration of the vehicle as well,it cant do any harm as generaly they are trying to see what they can thieve.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsman View Post
    What ^ he said and get the registration of the vehicle as well,it cant do any harm as generaly they are trying to see what they can thieve.
    More likely looking for somewhere to go poaching, if worried mention of being late to meet your mate "who's shooting around here somewhere" while checking your watch can get a message across.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsman View Post
    100% agree, and do it soon

Definitely get it reported as soon as you can.

If I'm walking between permissions i won't stop and talk to anyone except the police or a close friend. I don't really want to be hanging about in public with a firearm any longer than necessary.
    I get it a lot when I go out shooting on my quad as the rifles are strapped to the racks people tend to ask about them. A quick excuse and I'm off.

I wouldn't take a break from the area if I was you I'd be more vigilant and take a mate to try and deterr any potential wrong dooers.
    Just get out there and enjoy doing what you do bugger everyone else.

ATB. Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rapid View Post

+1 on this, other than the "could be nothing".
    The way you have described suggests at least being "cased" for either opportunist theft from whatever vehicle you might be using while you are on the permission, or potentially worse.
    Def get the local constabulary informed, preferably with some visible presence.