Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedding in a HW100 stock

Quote Originally Posted by si7777777 View Post
    Hi,
    On the underside of the action where the stock bolt is there is a little ridge that can cause a see saw effect. Instead of packing, I've taken down the indentation this ridge has made in the stock itself. No more clicking. However id still free float the barrel.
    si
    Did think about doing that myself, but got a tad worried about removing metal,How did you go about it ?
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

I have my HW100k in a Paul Wilson stock with the barrel free floating.
    I too noticed a clicking noise & found the action rocked slightly in the stock around the single fixing screw.
    The cure was some blu-tak, which is easy to remove and re use if it works free again (it hasn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Did think about doing that myself, but got a tad worried about removing metal,How did you go about it ?
    God no I meant make a notch in the wood for the ridge to sit in. There should already be an indent in the stock and just open this up so the main part of the block sits solidly.
    Si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.or...tock%20rocking

Here is how I fixed my stock from rocking..

the full length suffers more flex than the carbine [longer fore-stock] and as mentioned the barrel band is fixed to the stock so can [and will] move the barrel left and right [poi] . the easyest fix is to remove the o ring as mentioned, but try to deliberately twist/lean/pull on the stock without the o ring and check for clearance.......sometimes the o ring removal isnt enough to avoid contact twixt barrel and band still........then its modify the band time, if i could upload pics i would show you, but you know what i mean im sure ... also bipods have an effect as they can impart shock up through the stock, through the band and to the barrel, worth baering in mind.....i like the idea of the Airmasters 88 Rigidity Scope Rail shown above, this should help reduce action flex in the same manner as a 1-piece scope mount maybe even better i'll wager..... if anyone finds out where to get one, let me know
    meanwhile i think its worth pointing out wood [being a natural product] is going to expand / contract and generally move about in different temperatures and moisture-environments. i favour a soft mount option [double sided sponge tape in strips] between action and stock to allowe the stock to move freely WITHOUT moving the action with it
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    Plenty of tips on youtube about rifle bedding, mostly CF but the same techniques apply. I for one won't use araldite, devcon is generally regarded as the best bedding compound but I think if you spend £5.00 on quicksteel you could get the same result
    Pete,
    I tried this on a .22 Mauser rf and the stuff goes off too quick
    The two part epoxy putty sausage roll stuff has a much longer working time for pad bedding which would probably be ideal to correct a rocking action on a pcp.

Cheers

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    Quote Originally Posted by si7777777 View Post
    God no I meant make a notch in the wood for the ridge to sit in. There should already be an indent in the stock and just open this up so the main part of the block sits solidly.
    Si
    +1.

I used a Dremel type multi-tool with a 2mm diamond faced bit to lower the existing slot by about 1mm. The action now sits solidly in the stock. Couple of minutes work.
    Al

Some good suggestions thanks, I'll try and dremmelling the indent first, it does seem to rock rather than move.

cheers

Ed

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    the full length suffers more flex than the carbine [longer fore-stock] and as mentioned the barrel band is fixed to the stock so can [and will] move the barrel left and right [poi] . the easyest fix is to remove the o ring as mentioned, but try to deliberately twist/lean/pull on the stock without the o ring and check for clearance.......sometimes the o ring removal isnt enough to avoid contact twixt barrel and band still........then its modify the band time, if i could upload pics i would show you, but you know what i mean im sure ... also bipods have an effect as they can impart shock up through the stock, through the band and to the barrel, worth baering in mind.....i like the idea of the Airmasters 88 Rigidity Scope Rail shown above, this should help reduce action flex in the same manner as a 1-piece scope mount maybe even better i'll wager..... if anyone finds out where to get one, let me know
    meanwhile i think its worth pointing out wood [being a natural product] is going to expand / contract and generally move about in different temperatures and moisture-environments. i favour a soft mount option [double sided sponge tape in strips] between action and stock to allowe the stock to move freely WITHOUT moving the action with it
    Direct from Airmasters88 though iv`e just checked the website that i saved to my favorites, and it`s showing invalid host name!!! anyway here the number i have though 01525 220076 bought one for my HW100 about 4 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiethunder View Post
    http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.or...tock%20rocking

Here is how I fixed my stock from rocking..
    Any pics of the HW/Buddy bottle conversion and how it was done please?
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Pete,
    I tried this on a .22 Mauser rf and the stuff goes off too quick
    The two part epoxy putty sausage roll stuff has a much longer working time for pad bedding which would probably be ideal to correct a rocking action on a pcp.

Cheers
    It was the two part sausage roll type I was referring to, I've most likely got the name wrong
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Might be Evo Stick "Hard and Fast" or similar?
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

I've finally had some time to investigate exactly what caused the shift of POI when the nite site is fitted and it seems to be the unsupported action at the rear of the gun.

There is a fair bit of movement when the trigger guard is pulled downwards. The front section of the gun (ahead of the magazine slot) remains securely fastened but the rear will easily flex, tilting the scope upwards whilst the barrel position remains in unchanged. This would explain why the POI dropped by around 7 clicks when the NV was fitted to the scope, it is indeed the gun flexing slightly.

I'm going to try some plumbers mate positioned at the rear of the stock to form a platform for the rear extremity of the action, this hopefully acting in a similar way to the metal support shown on the link above.

atb

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    I've finally had some time to investigate exactly what caused the shift of POI when the nite site is fitted and it seems to be the unsupported action at the rear of the gun.

There is a fair bit of movement when the trigger guard is pulled downwards. The front section of the gun (ahead of the magazine slot) remains securely fastened but the rear will easily flex, tilting the scope upwards whilst the barrel position remains in unchanged. This would explain why the POI dropped by around 7 clicks when the NV was fitted to the scope, it is indeed the gun flexing slightly.

I'm going to try some plumbers mate positioned at the rear of the stock to form a platform for the rear extremity of the action, this hopefully acting in a similar way to the metal support shown on the link above.

atb

Ed
    Described perfectly,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

I ordered a rail from Airmasters 88 yesterday and had a good chat with them about this problem, it just seems to be a design flaw. You would think the scope would act as a brace but it must not be rigid enough.

Glad to finally have found a solution to this problem, I'm still going to use some araldite putty at the back of the stock act as a support for the rear action but Airmaster have advised to fit the brace first.

Ed