Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Ace to use or not to use

Sharp Ace to use or not to use

I have a Sharp Ace which is probably condition wise as good as you will get - it was a "sleeper" in a shop for about 15 years. The question basically is should I start using it in the field, put it away or sell it. Thing is I could do with a precharge and this could fit the bill, but to be honest Im afraid of ruining it. What would you do

Personally I wouldn't use a pump up for hunting or plinking. In hunting you may need a second shot quickly (and quietly) and in plinking, after 30 shots with a multi-pump your arms will know about it.

Thats just my opinion. The Sharp Ace is a good rifle but it isn't very practical.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use a pump up for hunting or plinking. In hunting you may need a second shot quickly (and quietly) and in plinking, after 30 shots with a multi-pump your arms will know about it.

Thats just my opinion. The Sharp Ace is a good rifle but it isn't very practical.
    Agree, the Ace is a good rifle, I have used a pump up for hunting in the past when I did hunt but that was one shoot on a rabbit, and at the range 20 yards head shoot it was dead has I pulled the triguer. Now , well I dont hunt, I cant use a pumper for a long period due to a part paralyisesd hand and a arm heald together with bolts and plates but I do love my pumpers, . Use it and enjoy it it is one of the best of its breed. But if you must use it for hunting then make sure its a killing and not a wounding shot please.

If your keeping it then it should be used,it won't hurt to use for hunting unless you drop it.This will help keeping the seals useable but sounds like it survived long enough already.Not the most practicable gun for hunting ,sound for the walking round & come across a shot type of hunting.
    Otherwise move it on for a PCP like a Rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    Agree, the Ace is a good rifle, I have used a pump up for hunting in the past when I did hunt but that was one shoot on a rabbit, and at the range 20 yards head shoot it was dead has I pulled the triguer. Now , well I dont hunt, I cant use a pumper for a long period due to a part paralyisesd hand and a arm heald together with bolts and plates but I do love my pumpers, . Use it and enjoy it it is one of the best of its breed. But if you must use it for hunting then make sure its a killing and not a wounding shot please.
    I also no longer hunt but I remember a friend once saying on a hunting trip he shot a crow off a branch and another crow, a few feet to the side just sat there wondering what had happened to his pal. With the clack- clack - clack of re charging an Ace/Innova it would have been away. His Daystate ruined its day!

I also no longer hunt but I remember a friend once saying on a hunting trip he shot a crow off a branch and another crow, a few feet to the side just sat there wondering what had happened to his pal. With the clack- clack - clack of re charging an Ace/Innova it would have been away. His Daystate ruined its day!
    Yes thats why it was only ever used for ambush shots, but there was a great deal more rabbits about here then, it dose has you say make a fair old clack.

ace

love the ace myself , infact repairing my tatty one tomorow . as for hunting - haven't shot nothing in anger for donkeys years , more of a collector nowadays. as for these new precharged guns - yes they are brill super accurate but in my mind too easy , magazines on them? what do we want a gattling gun? . old gun you miss and thats the targets luck pass it onto me then buy charge up..

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    love the ace myself , infact repairing my tatty one tomorow . as for hunting - haven't shot nothing in anger for donkeys years , more of a collector nowadays. as for these new precharged guns - yes they are brill super accurate but in my mind too easy , magazines on them? what do we want a gattling gun? . old gun you miss and thats the targets luck pass it onto me then buy charge up..
    Me too a collector or an Hoarder has I am often told by some Nead a bigger house methinks has running out of room

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    Me too a collector or an Hoarder has I am often told by some Nead a bigger house methinks has running out of room
    Ive solved that problem - I now collect pistols (but not Wobblys )

I used my sharp Ace for years on rabbits with the lamp, it has accounted for hundreds and i can still pump it without making a row.

Thanks for all the opinons the Ace is now for sale together with a very nice Innova.

A mint Ace might well get a premium price over £300. That would go a long way towards a PCP which would be a much better machine for hunting.
    I got rid of my Sharp Innova because the pumping just gets annoying and accuracy is good but nothing to get overly excited about. A good heavy springer could equal it without the workout for every shot.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Thanks for all the opinons the Ace is now for sale together with a very nice Innova.
    Good luck with the sale of these classic rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    A mint Ace might well get a premium price over £300. That would go a long way towards a PCP which would be a much better machine for hunting.
    Agreed.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Well, as a dear old ex- mechanic friend of mine always used to advise - "Sell it and buy a Ford"!
    That was his stock advice for just about anything - car related or otherwise!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Ive solved that problem - I now collect pistols (but not Wobblys )

Got many pistols too but thanks for the advice