Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things you see when you go hunting

chinstrap Guest

Things you see when you go hunting

evening all,
    just got back off the golf course after a spot of rabbiting,so i thought i would share a couple of first time sightings for me.
    firstly i was just creeping through the thickets being all stealthy like(well trying)and i hear a commotion coming through the bushes heading more or less toward me,so i stop dead still and a rabbit flies past me at approx mach3 closely followed by a fox which catches the rabbit and starts flinging it about,the rabbit is squealing like a pig but then the fox catches sight of me and promptly drops the very distressed bunny and scarpers one way while the bunny goes streaking off the other so i go in another direction because of all the obvious commotion.
    so i do a good tour of the course bagging a couple of bunnies on the way and start making my way back to the car. walking along the tree line and something darts out in front of me which i first thought was another fox but on closer inspection was the wrong colour. ok then its a dog i thought but then i realised just seen my first badger.didnt realise how big these things were or how fast.i dont know if badgers are common in these parts but definetley a first for me.
    sorry for going on a bit but it makes me appreciate what we do for sport/hobby and the things we see that other people may never see.makes you feel sort of privaliged..well does me any way.

drone over

regards shaun

Not only are badgers fast, but also extremely powerful. One creature I wouldn't want to face if cornered and angry/frightened.
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

GiZZeRR Guest
    Have you seen the teeth on them from close up? Frightning!

Gary C Guest
    A couple of years ago Sammie was about to shoot a bunny and just as she tightened on the trigger old Charlie pounced, missed, and promptly sat staring at her 25 yards away. I had the rimmy with me but was so impressed with the cheekly little devil I just watched.

Another time I was laid out on the edge of the farm and kept hearing a snoring. I was sure there was an old tramp nearby. In the end I got spooked and stood up. 15 yards away on the path was an old fox curled up asleep.

Stood by a tree with NV had a badger literally walk over my feet

badgers have always reminded me of stripey bull terriers dont know why they just look strong and like they will hurt you if mess with em

luke

I was sat by a farm track a couple of years ago watching a family of partridges walking up. I wasn't the only watcher though. I heard a slight noise from the other side of the track and 15-20 feet away was a beautiful dog fox, obviously considering dinner. I wouldn't have shot him even if I could, cos he was the most beautifully conditioned fox I ever saw. I moved slightly and he scarpered, probably annoyed that I had seperated him from a meal. I don't think either of us bore too much of a grudge though.

chinstrap Guest
    i just think its great what you can see though,just by sitting still and opening your eyes and ears and tuning in.
    theres also a barn owl on my shoot that always seems to give me a bit of a fly-by when he comes out at dusk. the magpies give him hell though sometimes..

Quote Originally Posted by luke@york
    badgers have always reminded me of stripey bull terriers dont know why they just look strong and like they will hurt you if mess with em

luke
    I think you have under estimated a badger.

am i the only deprived one in here as ive never seen one. well apart from a squashed one anyway

Rocketstu Guest
    Badgers, foxes, Owls, cows and not to forget the Hares!

See them all too often (the cows seem to like following me around now too!).

zooankski Guest
    had a similar experience as Gary-badger ran right past my feet and off through a field which made great viewing through NV-looked like that scene from jurrassic park when the raptors are closing in on them in the tall grass-just a snaky trail of flattened grass before my very eyes.

One of my favourites is watching the woodpeckers on one of my shoots. All that green and red. Wonderful sight! You almost don't need a gun really, do you. Just to be lucky enough to be able to see all this stuff. This is what the anti's just don't grasp, do they? It's not about killing, it's about being part of it.

Lying under a high hedge one Sunday morning a stoat/weasel ran under my barrel, later on the same shoot I heard a rustle in the hedgerow & locked the crosshairs on the biggest deer I have ever seen...I don't know who was the most spooked.
    Sat last weekend waiting for the farmer to finish cutting a field & watched 2 Kestrels clearing the mouse/vole population.

This is what getting up in the early hours is all about.

Beats watching Eastenders any day.

gran.

Great aren't they. Last summer I was out with the NV, I ended up following Mr Brock for about 300 yards using my NV monocular, I was only 15 yards behind him. He trundled off with the occasional glance over the shoulder, totally un-phased by me being there.

Dazz

Professor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketstu
    Badgers, foxes, Owls, cows and not to forget the Hares!

See them all too often (the cows seem to like following me around now too!).
    One place I'm shooting at the moment is covered with hares, I'll frequently see ten in a field. Problem is, I've been asked to leave them well alone, but on occasion when I find one sitting at the edge of a wood, it can be difficult to decide if it's a hare or a rabbit. I have to make them stand up so I can see their ears which has caused me to miss the odd rabbit that would have been a cert.

I well remember lieing on a sunny bank with a shotgun one afternoon, watching a family of fox cubs quarrelling and play fighting, after about ten minutes of really close observation, one of them ran right up to me, stopping, arching up its back like a startled cat and charging off when it realised I wasn't just a particulalrly ugly tuft of vegetation.

I've never seen a live badger though - that would be splendid.