View Poll Results: Have you tried Sizing?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I had good results

25 39.06%
  • Yes - I saw no difference

3 4.69%
  • Yes - I had bad results

1 1.56%
  • No - I may try it

18 28.13%
  • What a waste of time!

17 26.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Sizing Results

Pellet Sizing Results

I know there are many threads on Pellet Sizing, but I thought I would create a simple Thread with a Poll, just so it is easy and simple to see the results.

I am tempted to try Sizing myself, but first I would like to know what experiance other people have had (I know it also depends on my rifle and what it prefers).

Please could you allow more information below by posting on the thread if you choose to answer the poll, just to add more detail (Eg what pellets, rifle, what you sized the pellets to, range, difference in group size, etc)

Thanks and ATB
    Last edited by Jimbob 2705; 12-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Where's the poll
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

I had good results sizing pellets in a Theoben Sirrocco .22 and a Original 45 .20, but only really worth it, if the pellets are a very tight fit and i found it takes up a lot of time. So i just found better fitting pellets, that gave good results. But if i was shooting HFT, i would check and size my pellets, no matter what pellets i was using, as theres always the chance of a deformed, loose or tight one.
    Last edited by HW777; 12-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    Where's the poll
    Above my 1st Post?

It's there on my screen, can you not see it?

Thanks and ATB

I find it a prerequisite with one of my .25's, a BSA Tactical XL - without sizing down to 6.27mm the power drops to about 8 ft/lbs, my thumb develops a blister after 30 shots and the grouping reminiscent of a gat firing corks at the funfair.
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

When I first brought my .25 I was helpfully sent some pellets "sized down to a better fit" they fell straight through the barrel.
    Surely if you buy a rifle and find that pellets of the correct cal don't fit it. you return the rifle as the barrel is obviously outside specification.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    When I first brought my .25 I was helpfully sent some pellets "sized down to a better fit" they fell straight through the barrel.
    Surely if you buy a rifle and find that pellets of the correct cal don't fit it. you return the rifle as the barrel is obviously outside specification.
    Humph - that's the last time I send you any .25 Mozzies, Steve and I was the one to chuck you a selection of standard and sized pellets too - I'm miffed and gonna sulk

I had that barrel changed by BSA twice but they're just too tight, and although I know I should walk away from it and trade it to some poor unsuspecting (non BBS) shooter I love the tactical stock . . . keep thinking about getting someone (UK Neil or maybe John Bowkett) to open up the breech a few mini-mills, but just don't seem to have the time to do it.
    Last edited by Matou; 12-08-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

Sizing JSB stuff to 4.48 for the Walther.

I would be intersted to hear what the bench rest shooters on here think about this. I know there was an article in AGW about pellet sizing but it wasn't the sort of sizing that i was used to. Most sizers require you to force a pellet (4.52 normally) through and size it to say 4.50 but in the article i saw the chap was using an old bic pen. It was an older clear plasic pen with the internals removed. He put a pellet inside the plastic and let it slide to the end. When it stopped (due to the slight reduction in the diameter of the pen) he made a mark with a permanent marker. He then did this with more pellets until he had several marks on the pen.....that way he could group the pellets together without forcing them through the usual type of sizer.

The pellets didn't jam and only required the plastic pen to be turned upside down, tapped onto a hard surface and the pellet would fall out.

For almost all the airgun disciplines i suspect that benchrest requires the highest degree of accuracy. after all the variable of the shooter is ALMOST taken out of the equation?
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I can't believe you've never heard of "Bic'ing" your pellets before reading that article Chris...my god i've been shooting FT too long!
    That's how we did it in the olden days, with the Crosman premiers. I did it as said in the article but then set my adjustable pellet sizer to the same size as the pellet that gave the best groups, that way i just put all my washed Prem's through the sizer, all the larger ones are sized down to the same size and the smaller ones are rejected and go for plinking or in the pistol. Still do it the same way now.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

I still have my "Pen" from 20 years ago and still works, set pellets to suit barrel with adjustable sizer and chrono, then mark pen.
    PURBECK FTC (formally South Dorset FTC) SWEFTA League Champions 2011
    HW100k, Daystate Tsar, BSA Stalker

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post
    Above my 1st Post?

It's there on my screen, can you not see it?

Thanks and ATB
    Wasn't there to start with , not that it matters now that it is there .

Don't personally bother to size pellets in PCP or springers. It'll be interesting to see if anyone who shoots springers size pellets as the fit of the pellet can affect power/velocity by quite a lot.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    Wasn't there to start with , not that it matters now that it is there .

Don't personally bother to size pellets in PCP or springers. It'll be interesting to see if anyone who shoots springers size pellets as the fit of the pellet can affect power/velocity by quite a lot.
    Me, i size Crosman premiers for use in my HW77K and HW97K, used to size them for my Steyr LG100 too until i sold it.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Sizing is definitely worthwhile.

Put a mike or a vernier across a selection of pellets and see if they correspond to the dimensions on the tin!!

Chances are, the 4.50, 4.52 etc. is wishful thinking. Even the expensive ones can be way out of spec..
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post
    I would like to know what experiance other people have had (I know it also depends on my rifle and what it prefers).

Please could you allow more information below by posting on the thread if you choose to answer the poll, just to add more detail (Eg what pellets, rifle, what you sized the pellets to, range, difference in group size, etc)

Thanks and ATB
    My Black Ev2 likes dai 35 Express sized to 4.50, but dai 60 sized to 4.52

Red ev2 like both dai 35 and 60 sized to 4.52.

njr is not really fussy, will take anything.

However, sizing takes out the odd flier for me so tightens groups up overall, tus increasing the chance of a kit / kill. Windage and rangefinding dependant.
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot