Thread: removing Venom moderator

removing Venom moderator

Hi all, I am trying to remove a Venom Slimtech moderator from my FWB sport. Fitted by them , obviously there is some kind of adhesive there. Any tips for getting it off? I have applied plenty of heat, put the mod in a padded vice, to twist off, but no movement. Never had one as difficult as this.

How much heat was plenty. If it was permanent loctite they used you would have to have it practically glowing to remove it.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Thanks John, not quite glowing but burning leather gloves when I touched it. I maybe need a more powerful heat source than the small blow torch. I have only removed 1 or 2 in the past, but they have come off relatively easy. Ok, will give it another go, try and get some glowing steel!

Mark if you used a blowtorch and haven't been able to remove the Slimtech then I'd leave it on. I have known this quite a few times and on the last occasion was totally unable to remove a Theoben Evolution silencer without damaging it in spite of really giving it a lot of heat. In this case I didn't mind as I had several replacements and this one was pretty poor anyway. In the case of the Slimtech you would be destroying considerable value if you damaged it so I'd leave it on the rifle.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

It could be threaded.. Just a thought.

The slimtech is steel iirc, so it could be a combination of glue & rust holding it on!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    It could be threaded.. Just a thought.
    Left handed!!
    Master Debater

Applied ridiculous amounts of heat, little bit of cherry showing, left the torch on the section for about 3 or 4 minutes, no movement. All academic now, as I have f***ed the thing now, put a dent in it in the vice.

Just see the other posts, no, its a slip on. I sent the FWB to Venom about 6 or 7 years ago for a tune and to add the slim tech. Venom don't like screwcut slimtechs on break barrels. The idea was to re-instate the original Airmasters moderator on the FWB and use the slimtech on an incoming HW80 Lazaglide action. New slimtech, me thinks, or similar .

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Left handed!!

Lol .....

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzle View Post
    Lol .....
    At least someone got it!!
    Master Debater

Just an update on this. I was told by a friend on here that there are some moderators that just will not come off no matter how much heat you give them. I think you have to accept that potentially if you decide to remove one, you may destroy it. In my case, I used heat, force, and a great tip from the same friend to put a spanner around the narrow neck of the moderator and whack the spanner. But even that did'nt work, even after a dose of heat. I had to take the Dremel and cut out a section near the neck, and use a cold chisel to peel the steel back. Its now all done, and the original Mastersport mod back on, after a clean up and re-blue.