Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daystate regal v hw100sk

Quote Originally Posted by anim al View Post
    as an after thought,
    at the moment the only gun i have is an absolutely fabulous tench regged scorpion .177
    which i'm very happy with,but i think i would swap this and go back to the hw100th .22.
    i just think i personally shoot better free standing with a heavier gun

cheers al
    Some do find they can shoot better free standing with a heavier rifle,maybe they balance better

Nikharvey is offline Goes by the name of Marjorie at weekends...
    I've got an HW100t,I don't mind the weight but the thumbhole stock looks a bit like a paddle but I couldn't have the sporter as I always found my thumb started to ache after a while as the grip is quite fat and I like to shoot left and right handed.I tried the DS huntsman when I purchased my 100 and for me the 100 felt right in the shoulder,yes its not the greatest looker in the world but the action is superb as is accuracy and the loading system is second to none,but it comes down to personal taste really,my brother sold his 100 for a daystate where as I prefer my 100.
    ''It is said we learn by our mistakes........clearly not as we keep making the same mistakes.'' My Theory
    ''War is the continuation of politics by other means'' Carl Von Clausewitz.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I have the chance of a early 2013 hw100sk in immaculate condition with a hugget shroud and silencer plus the original weihrauch silencer for £650,am I right in thinking this is a bit too much?
    At that price I would say buy it.
    The shroud and silencer will not of been cheap.
    It's a fair price.
    If you don't like the feel of it or the weight , you could always split the rifle , shroud and silencer and still break even.
    Having tried many rifles over the years, HW , Bsa, Daystate, I still come back to the HW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Having tried many rifles over the years, HW , Bsa, Daystate, I still come back to the HW.
    Me too mate.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    Me too mate.

Chris
    Same here, at least as far as PCPs are concerned: my HW99 is still my all-round goto gun.

The HW100S is a brilliant rifle that would put ice cubes down the neck of the Huntsman, laugh uproariously at its poove clothing, and then send it home with some vouchers for a Justin Bieber long player.

I have both. Form vs substance.

I have an HW100kt and a Huntsman Classic; similar in most respects to the Regal, though of course with a lower shot-count, which it makes up for (in my opinion) by being better looking with the shorter air cylinder. Anyway, they are both absolutely brilliant rifles, top performers. I think the HW100 has a better magazine system - more or less foolproof and much easier to fill the magazines - whereas with the Huntsman there is a knack to working the bolt (if you're not careful, you can index the magazine but not cock the rifle, then you can end up double-loading). The Huntsman is noticeably lighter, so when lamping I tend to take that over the HW100 as I carry the gun in my hands rather than on a sling. In the daytime, the weight difference doesn't matter much to me because I use a sling,and the carbine version of the HW100 balances such that most of the weight goes into your shoulder, making it feel lighter when shooting than it really is. The HW100 carbines are very compact even with a moderator, so they are great for shooting from a car or truck, if you do that. In my experience, they are comparable in terms of sheer accuracy, though the HW100 marginally has the edge at long ranges (50+ yards). The HW100 is also quieter, at least compared to the Huntsman with a Daystate Airstream moderator (I think mine is a Mk.4, but it could be a Mk.5).

So... on paper, the HW100 probably edges the Huntsman/Regal, and there is no doubt that it is a truly solid hunting rifle as well as being capable on the range. Mine has done me staunch service in tough conditions and has never skipped a beat, even when it's been abused. That said, the Huntsman just has bags of character (for a PCP, at least), and that comes across in the shooting experience as well as in the handling itself. It too is very much capable in the field and on the range, and is undoubtedly a great-looking rifle, blowing the HW100 out of the water for that, in my opinion. In honesty, I like and use them both as much as the other, and I would be hard-pressed to choose between them now. I know I'm basically sitting on the fence with that answer, but I hope it's helpful by giving you some pros and cons of each!