Thread: Evening Hunting by Torch

Evening Hunting by Torch

After reading a review in Airgun World, I am considering purchasing the Night Master Venom Strike scope mounting kit.

http://venomstrike.com/venom-strike.shtml

I have not tried hunting rabbits in total darkness yet, so looking for advice.

Would this sort of thing be adequate to hunt rabbits at night? Would you recommend anything else, or in addition? And it comes with a choice of coloured LED's, would you suggest red is best?

It certainly ticks a lot of boxes - variable colour, brightness, adjustable focus etc.
    As a first timer I would probably go down the route of importing a cheap Chinese model and clamp and a pressure switch. Wouldn't cost as much and if night hunting wasn't for me I could sell it on without losing £30 odd pounds. Just my take on it.
    If you feel that £125 is a reasonable amount then go for it.

Pm sent

Looks interesting, does anyone know...

It also says multi modes, is that as well as the dimmer or as reference to the various leds available?

Does the £99 or £124 versions come with all the led colours (no mention)?

No mention of lumens in each colour option, any ideas?

Shame there is not a remote cable with dimmer.

T
    :: Freelance Designer ::

Today, I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.

Posh as a posh thing. If you want a cheap outfit to try

Checked these as latest prices for the hunting torch from www.dx.com and . Torch needs x1 battery but 2 will last ALL night.
    Total cost about £23 - £25 brilliant for the money

DX.COM

SKU: 300163 Pressure switch $ 3.63
    SKU 5955 Smooth drop in reflector $ 3.20
    SKU 12000 Mounts need x2 of these $ 2.14 each
    SKU 5297 Thrower lens $ 1.99
    SKU: 335984 x2 18650 Batteries and Charger $ 7.99

The bay of E item number: 111359751203 Red 502b torch £ 4.99

I have this outfit and it is stunning for that sort of money.

Highly recommended

Putting the torch brand to one side, are there any tips for hunting rabbits at night?

I mean, should you try and approach an area in total darkness then switch on your lamp?

Can you pick a spot and lie in wait with the lamp on and the rabbits will go about there business?

Lads I have one or the venom Strikes.
    Whats in the box is a battery a dual charger mount, torch and your choice of LED. Price 124.95
    I bought a red torch with a green LED and extra battery. Reason for green less likely to spook so ive been told.
    Extra leds are 44.95 each the IR led is 65.95 and 12.95 for the spare battery from what i can remember
    the brightness control is right at the back of the torch and the adjust to suit your own needs.And to adjust the beam twist the front of the torch.
    Ive not used it yet because lack of time but I hope to get out soon.
    any further questions im happy to try and help or contact Tac Light

Method

Quote Originally Posted by pistolet View Post
    Putting the torch brand to one side, are there any tips for hunting rabbits at night?

I mean, should you try and approach an area in total darkness then switch on your lamp?

Can you pick a spot and lie in wait with the lamp on and the rabbits will go about there business?
    My preferred method is to stalk and use the press switch to scan whilst still. walk on anther 25-30yds and same again. Mark on horizon where eyes light up and stalk QUIETLY to shooting distance <35 yds (.177) occasionally pulsing light to check if they are still there. if they sit up bolt upright then stay completely still til they relax again. When in range SLOWLY crouch to kneeling stance and aim an inch behind their eye with whatever hold over/under and slot em!

Depending whether they have been shot at before, they can prove a bit "lamp shy" so then a lay up may be the only way to get the numbers down, I get too bored sniping to do it regularly and prefer the above method.
    Theoben Rapid Mkll in .20 Cal with H&N FTT. Perfect cure for Bunnies with Insomnia!

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolet View Post
    After reading a review in Airgun World, I am considering purchasing the Night Master Venom Strike scope mounting kit.

http://venomstrike.com/venom-strike.shtml

I have not tried hunting rabbits in total darkness yet, so looking for advice.

Would this sort of thing be adequate to hunt rabbits at night? Would you recommend anything else, or in addition? And it comes with a choice of coloured LED's, would you suggest red is best?
    I cant advise you on the particular light you mention as I've not used it, however most modern LED torches are good enough for rabit shooting with an air rifle. I use an Armytek Predator Pro with a couple of filters and a pressure switch. The filters cut down on the light range (a true coloured LED won't though) but that's not really a problem for this light at air rifle ranges anyway.

As for starting out lamping rabbits, have a read of this thread on here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-my-take-on-it

Know your ground like the back of your hand. Make sure folk know where you'll be. Know your rifle set up. The rest will come with practice...
    Lamping is great, whether with air rifle on rats/rabbits or with CF for foxes; enjoy!

(Apologies if any of that sounds like teaching to suck eggs! )
    Wyrd bið ful aræd