Thread: Modified D front cocking lever ?

Modified D front cocking lever ?

Hi all, Does anyone have a front bayonet cocking lever with the Lincoln Jeffries patent stamp I can purchase please ?, It’s for a 1909 Improved model D, thank you.
    Last edited by havengore; 02-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, what length is the gun please*, and distance from the cocking latch underneath the barrel to main pivot hole.

Is it just the front lever missing, ie. do you have the shorter piece that engages in the piston slot.

*As Improved model D's came in different sizes, each with a specific lever length

I do have some odd levers, so with more info might be able to help.

ATB, ED

front lever.....

Hi, many thanks for the reply. I have the original lever but the bayonet on the end has been modified to suit possibly a disabled person. The 3 inch end has been curved over (possibly at the factory as there are no grip or tool scratches or marks) as though to fit a false or hooked hand. It all works fine & the rear lever is present but as I’m restoring the rifle I thought I would try & find an un-bent lever. I don’t want to try & straighten the end as I think it won’t take too much heat. If I can find a straight lever I will swap them over but keep the bent one with it. I have seen a couple of pictures where early BSA guns have been custom modified to suit a buyer. It would be great if you do have one. Length of rifle 43 ½ inches, Under latch to center of pivot pin is 9 ½ inches, If the whole lever were straight it would be 12 inches long. Let me know if you do have one please, cheers. Simon.
    Last edited by havengore; 02-09-2014 at 02:00 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Simon,

Sorry mate, I can only find a side latch type in 43'' size, and it has file marks on it

In respect of straightening yours, it is do-able (especially if non side fence type) but you will obviously lose the finish if doing it hot. They can be moved cold with a super plastic thor hammer and careful attention to support any part not being moved, and bent levers can be straightened in a press without cracking if careful.

ATB, Ed

curved lever...

Hi Ed, Thanks for looking, I think I will wait until I find another. Mine does have the side fences & has quite a big outward curve at the end. It is not bent (with any crease) & no tool marks which makes me think it was professionally altered. I may try to straighten it once I have a replacement as it is better to have a complete curved lever than a snapped one, or I may keep the curved one with the gun. I’ve just put new flat springs (the old stamped BSA ones were both broken) & new cup & piston washer in, Just filling some scratches on the stock before oiling so it will look presentable. I want to use it as it was intended to be but the curved cocking lever is a tad clumsy. I shall keep looking, Thanks again for your help, Simon.