Thread: Setra Multi-Pump

Setra Multi-Pump

A friend of mine has a Setra rifle in .22 that he's owned for many years (40 ish I think) and he's looking for something a bit more up to date and that takes less time and effort to load.

Ideally he's wanting an AA S200 or something similar in .22 - would this seem like a reasonable swap to people who know the value of these old guns cos I haven't a clue?

The Setra looks very similar to a Benjamin and loads in the same way. It is in pretty good condition when you take into account it's age and it all seems to work perfectly.

Photo's can be provided if you message me as I can't seem to add them on here for some reason.
    Last edited by Nutmeg; 02-09-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Did not make clear he was looking for valuation

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Depending on the age of it, he needs to get it chrono tested. For many years Setras weren't imported into the UK because they were over our 12ft/lb energy limit.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

inbox full

Your message inbox is full, my email is douglee@talktalk.net,contact me please?

Inbox Cleared

And I've emailed you just in case you didn't see this message.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    In box cleared.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Setra

I recall when a dozen Setra's were imported into NZ.The importer reckoned their "combined" m.e. was about 12ft/lb......They had a blow-off valve arrangement which limited power.Probably made for the British or German market at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    I recall when a dozen Setra's were imported into NZ.The importer reckoned their "combined" m.e. was about 12ft/lb......They had a blow-off valve arrangement which limited power.Probably made for the British or German market at the time.
    There was reportedly 50 sent to New Zealand by The Mart in Lowestoft in the early 1980's, Trevor.

The Mart were having trouble moving them after Rod Lynton slated them in Airgun World so they offloaded them as a job lot to New Zealand.

After the 50 were out the way The Mart found they had 5 shop soiled and none operational guns to get rid of, they knocked these out at £45 each --- my Setra is one of these 5.

The ones sold by The Mart were restricted by having the hammer spring chopped so giving two shots sub 12 ftlb per pumping.

I have articles from the late 1970's which clearly show the blowoff valve fitted to FAC guns --- the valve was fitted as a safety valve to stop valve lock.

All the best Mick

The early Setras were worlds apart from the later version which were made down to a price and distributed by Sussex Armoury who folded about 1980. The later ones were of very poor quality and the design cheapened in as many ways as possible. The owned one until the breech block and barrel came away from the underneath bits when I was out shooting. Steer clear of them. A pile of poo built down to a price. No wonder Rod Lynton slated them. Got to be bad to get a poor review from him. Sound familiar? The early ones were top hole. Think of better than early Benjy quality with looks like an early Bluestreak but in .22" instead of .20".

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    No wonder Rod Lynton slated them. Got to be bad to get a poor review from him. Sound familiar?
    IIRC James, Rod Lynton was selling Bluestreaks at the time, so it wasn't a surprise that he slated the opposition.

If you really want a well built multipump then it would seem that the Mk1 or MK2 Daystates Sportsmans are the way to go ?

Or the FX ?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    IIRC James, Rod Lynton was selling Bluestreaks at the time, so it wasn't a surprise that he slated the opposition.

If you really want a well built multipump then it would seem that the Mk1 or MK2 Daystates Sportsmans are the way to go ?

Or the FX ?

All the best Mick
    I agree with you but the 2nd generation Setras really did deserve slating. Perhaps it was an instance where the author of the reviews bias produced the truth for once. I had an early Sportsman and know exactly what you mean. The pump tube wall was 1/8" thick. The MK2 was a Titan Mohawk multi with Daystate barrel, breech and trigger. Made by Titans Indian subcontractor

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    the 2nd generation Setras really did deserve slating.
    I still have mine

I may give it an airing this weekend at the BBS gathering.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I still have mine

I may give it an airing this weekend at the BBS gathering.

All the best Mick
    Mind the barrel doesnt come away in your hand