Thread: grease

grease

what grease do you use on the gun after cleaning,ive just been using brunox but was told i should use some grease on the moving parts

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    what grease do you use on the gun after cleaning,ive just been using brunox but was told i should use some grease on the moving parts
    What gun?

Give us a clue.

tac

What gun?

Give us a clue.

tac
    black powder tac

these two black powder burners
    peitta reminton 1858 ss target .44,
    peitta 1862 met police colt .36,
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 03-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.

I prefer not to use grease on a revolver. The residue clings to it.

I have tried grease on my revolver but I found the more I shot the more the cylinder dragged and was putting an undue strain on the indexing link.
    When I took the cylinder off the pin and cylinder was caked with residue that had stuck to the grease.

I now find that oil is sufficient. Once the gun has been cleaned oil the cylinder pin and the other moving parts and that should be all you need. If the cylinder starts dragging, and it can even with oil, just take the cylinder off, clean it and re-oil it.

I only use grease now days under the barrel of an arm that I do not need to strip down, such as a rilfe or single barreled pistol. I have found that silicon grease is best for this, it is waterproof and does not dry up. I believe that normal grease contains a small amount of soap and it is this that dries out.

Now doubt others have their favourite method of lubricating their guns. This one works for me so I am happy with it.

Atb.

I use water pump grease on the cylinder pin and three in one spray on everything else. works for me. Tim

For the last thirty years I've been using what remains of a ten# can of Shakespeare spinning reel grease on the cylinder pin of my various BP revolvers. Some days - guest days at our club - my ROA gets fired around 100 shots, and I don't get any gumming up.

We all have our little methods - that one is mine. If it works, stick to it - NO other part of ANY BP revolver needs any kind of grease.

tac

Thumbs up

cheers guys,ill stick to what i am already doing then ,
    wash hot soapy water-dry in pre heated oven -light spray with brunox
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 04-09-2014 at 06:40 AM.