Thread: BSA Mercury-S ..

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

BSA Mercury-S ..

Got the BSA Mercury-S from the post office yesterday, and I was surprised to see it was the same one I sold years ago! I had bought it as a wreck (stock smashed across the hand, finished in a horrible orange colour, nasty screws on the cocking arm bracket etc) for £45, fixed it up and sold it to Gareth (I think) for a fair bit more, asked if I could buy it back but it had 'gone to Peru' ... and now by accident almost, it has returned. Jolly pleased.

Sorry Pete, but I am keeping this one.

Fate. Now, just think if your pennies at ASDA hadn't totaled over £40.

I know exactly where the Mercury 'S' I regret selling is and theres not a cat in hells chance of getting it back.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=17
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

love my s in .177, lovley gun.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    love my s in .177, lovley gun.
    Might try mine with a .177 barrel, but I suppose the original heavyweight ones are impossible to get. Maybe one off a Supersport will fit though. The balance of the rifle is excellent, will be testing it out soon...

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Fate. Now, just think if your pennies at ASDA hadn't totaled over £40.

I know exactly where the Mercury 'S' I regret selling is and theres not a cat in hells chance of getting it back.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=17
    Does my old one still live with you Ian? WH01266.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Does my old one still live with you Ian? WH01266.
    Yes. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=17 (Yours is the bottom one in this photo). It was its 'mate' that I sold in a moment of total stupidity. At least its gone to a good home.

Mercury S

Surrey Guns had a late .177 one of these in a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth a ring to see if its still there.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Might try mine with a .177 barrel, but I suppose the original heavyweight ones are impossible to get. Maybe one off a Supersport will fit though. The balance of the rifle is excellent, will be testing it out soon...
    Yes the SS barrel will fit, I have a .22 SS on my Merc and a .25 Lightning on my Challenger.

I have a .177 Lightning barrel here if you're interested?, trouble is it's only 10 inches long (not chopped down either, so still chocked but not sure if you want a full length barrel) but I always found the Lightning barrel and a Volly silencer really help balance the rifle and make it much more pointable.

Let me know if interested.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

In my teens I put a hacksawed down 6'' Meteor barrel in .22 on my Mercury(.177). I had to put a screwdriver down the muzzle to cock it . But it worked fine to 20 yds

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Yes the SS barrel will fit, I have a .22 SS on my Merc and a .25 Lightning on my Challenger.

I have a .177 Lightning barrel here if you're interested?, trouble is it's only 10 inches long (not chopped down either, so still chocked but not sure if you want a full length barrel) but I always found the Lightning barrel and a Volly silencer really help balance the rifle and make it much more pointable.

Let me know if interested.

Pete
    Thanks for the offer Pete, but I only really like the full-length barrels on rifles, and with the Mercury I think a shortie would make the centre of balance a bit too far backwards. Its good to know the SS will fit though, I wonder if they are as thick as the Mercury-S barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    In my teens I put a hacksawed down 6'' Meteor barrel in .22 on my Mercury(.177). I had to put a screwdriver down the muzzle to cock it . But it worked fine to 20 yds
    Because of the length or because of the screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Yes. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=17 (Yours is the bottom one in this photo). It was its 'mate' that I sold in a moment of total stupidity. At least its gone to a good home.
    Ian

You forgot to mention the quality of the stock, the nicest set of tiger stripes you could wish for!😀

I wonder if they are as thick as the Mercury-S barrels?
    Nope, standard 15.5mm I'm afraid.

No problem with the barrel, just thought I'd offer it too you.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post
    Ian

You forgot to mention the quality of the stock, the nicest set of tiger stripes you could wish for!😀
    True. One of the best examples of Hydrographic dipping over balsa that Ive ever seen.

Sorry Pete, but I am keeping this one.
    Give it time, I know what you're like

You're get bored of it and you're get seduced by something plain like an HW35 and then you're be begging me to buy it because you love the tap water in my house

Pete