Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who remembers Gerald Cardew (Blue Nose)

Who remembers Gerald Cardew (Blue Nose)

I was just thinking about the late Gerald Cardew also known as blue nose who use to do the research and development in air gun world during the late 70's to I think early/mid 90,s I still read his old work as I have a vast collection of old air rifle magazines and still find it relevant and fascinating the guy was extremely clever and very deep with his research and experiments of all types of air guns and especially his findings with spring guns.
    I would have loved to have met the man in person.
    Who else remembers his work?
    Cheers Doug

gerald cardew

hi doug,i spoke to him a few times on the phone and sent him a hw80 cylinder to open up the transfer port. nice man to talk to. atb mick.

Hi Mick , I can imagine he was, cheers Doug

I remember reading his articles in AGW in the late 7O's did he also do collectors corner or was that Geoff Boxall ? think that was his name . I also remember a writer that hunted with a 35 Vixen a BSF B55 and an Original 5O was this Rod Lynton ? I aso remember a Writer called Fred Grimwade and later on Arthur Shepherd
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    I remember reading his articles in AGW in the late 7O's did he also do collectors corner or was that Geoff Boxall ? think that was his name . I also remember a writer that hunted with a 35 Vixen a BSF B55 and an Original 5O was this Rod Lynton ? I aso remember a Writer called Fred Grimwade and later on Arthur Shepherd
    There's some old names although im sure it was John Atkins that did collectors corner, Geoff Boxall on testing I think, the others I think all did hunting columns/ pages in the mag.

Have a look in your old Mags Doug I have only got 1 old AGW from 1982 , I'll have to look around on the net to see if I can get some would love some from the late 7O's ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Have a look in your old Mags Doug I have only got 1 old AGW from 1982 , I'll have to look around on the net to see if I can get some would love some from the late 7O's ATB Mike
    Hey Mike, I must have 70-80% of all the air world from around 77 to mid 90's and some air gunner I just love reading them and when I have purchased or looking to buy a classic springer or precharge, i scroll through them looking for the original tests, the original airgun mags are full of soul and the modern ones I do not bother much with as they are full of ads and the same plastic guns (sorry)
    Atb Doug p.s I think there are some on the bay as we speak

I have two of GC's excellent books. "Trigger to muzzle" & the later "Trigger to target"

Frustratingly, I seem to have misslaid Trigger to muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas hatcher View Post
    I was just thinking about the late Gerald Cardew also known as blue nose who use to do the research and development in air gun world during the late 70's to I think early/mid 90,s I still read his old work as I have a vast collection of old air rifle magazines and still find it relevant and fascinating the guy was extremely clever and very deep with his research and experiments of all types of air guns and especially his findings with spring guns.
    I would have loved to have met the man in person.
    Who else remembers his work?
    Cheers Doug
    I would say that most springer fans over the age of about 35 will be well aware of Mr Cardew's workings, much of which was very eye-opening at the time.

And his books, The Airgun from trigger to muzzle and, later, The Airgun from trigger to target, can be considered "must haves" for many wanting to work on their own guns.

However, time stands still for no man and although his work was invaluable to us, modern knowledge and thinking has moved on, with the likes of Jim Tyler and Dr Mike taking things so much further and actually dispelling some of GC's findings. Like the dependance of the springer on combustion to make decent power. And we have more than our fair share of very knowledgeable tuners right here on the BBS.

Taking nothing away from the great man, though....his works can be regarded as pioneering and probably helped pave the way for the modern tuner.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I would say that most springer fans over the age of about 35 will be well aware of Mr Cardew's workings, much of which was very eye-opening at the time.

And his books, The Airgun from trigger to muzzle and, later, The Airgun from trigger to target, can be considered "must haves" for many wanting to work on their own guns.

However, time stands still for no man and although his work was invaluable to us, modern knowledge and thinking has moved on, with the likes of Jim Tyler and Dr Mike taking things so much further and actually dispelling some of GC's findings. Like the dependance of the springer on combustion to make decent power. And we have more than our fair share of very knowledgeable tuners right here on the BBS.

Taking nothing away from the great man, though....his works can be regarded as pioneering and probably helped pave the way for the modern tuner.
    Good point made TonyL, I think im just a wee bit nostalgic and stuck in the past, I haven't had the joy of reading GC's two books and think im going to purchase them now, I remember reading his findings on the reliance of dieseling in springers and I actually did not know this had been dispelled, on this subject of the new guys out there who now is the equivalent of Venoms Ivan and Dave and takes on custom springer work? cheers Doug

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Bang-on Tone. Excellent post

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I bought his book to read on holiday last year!!

unfortunately I haven't been on holiday yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Master Debater

, I haven't had the joy of reading GC's two books and think im going to purchase them now, I remember reading his findings on the reliance of dieseling in springers and I actually did not know this had been dispelled, on this subject of the new guys out there who now is the equivalent of Venoms Ivan and Dave and takes on custom springer work? cheers Doug
    Yes, those books really are a must have. I only have the later one, "The Airgun from Trigger to Target", which, I believe, is as per the earlier book but also studies what happens after the pellet has left the barrel. Much of the content is relevant, invaluable and an excellent read / tutorial. Have a look on Amazon to try and get a copy.

Venom Arms lives on. Steve Pope is Dave's son. Look up V-Mach Custom Rifles. On his site there is a section on the history of the company, explaining all.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Good point made TonyL, I think im just a wee bit nostalgic and stuck in the past, I haven't had the joy of reading GC's two books and think im going to purchase them now...
    You can buy the later book direct from Gerald's son

http://www.cardew-watches.co.uk/airguns_8.html

... the original airgun mags are full of soul and the modern ones I do not bother much with as they are full of ads and the same plastic guns (sorry)
    Douglas, compared to the 'original' mags, you'll find the Airgun World ads-edit ratio is far more edit-heavy these days.

As for 'the same plastic guns', we report on the guns being released, mate. It's kind of what we're supposed to do, really.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge