Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers Gerald Cardew (Blue Nose)

Quote Originally Posted by douglas hatcher View Post
    There's some old names although im sure it was John Atkins that did collectors corner, Geoff Boxall on testing I think, the others I think all did hunting columns/ pages in the mag.
    John Atkins is alive and kicking, and is still a regular contributor in 'Airgunner' with his 'Collectors Corner'.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Douglas, compared to the 'original' mags, you'll find the Airgun World ads-edit ratio is far more edit-heavy these days.

As for 'the same plastic guns', we report on the guns being released, mate. It's kind of what we're supposed to do, really.
    Ah that maybe so Terry but they were only 25p .

I may be wrong but I cant remember Gerald Cardew writing for AGW Didnt he write for Airgunner. I also think Bluenose was another writer and not Mr Cardew.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    I may be wrong but I cant remember Gerald Cardew writing for AGW Didnt he write for Airgunner. I also think Bluenose was another writer and not Mr Cardew.
    I thought in the early days he went under the name of blue nose as he was working for the government or something where he could not at that time use his his real name, or maybe I just got got it wrong?

Cardew

Met him on several occasions and even visited him at home with my club (Merton AR&PC) in about 1983/84. He was a very friendly and had a great knowledge on the field of spring airguns.

I even had him make up a 10 inch barrel to fit a Webley Mk1 of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Douglas, compared to the 'original' mags, you'll find the Airgun World ads-edit ratio is far more edit-heavy these days.

As for 'the same plastic guns', we report on the guns being released, mate. It's kind of what we're supposed to do, really.
    Hi Terry , I know your right its just like I said I live in the past a bit with lots of my interests i.e classic 80,s motocross bikes, classic Tamiya rc cars and the period magazines lol and quite a few of my firearms are from this period, its just a childhood thing and I do think they were happier times, you cant stop progress and I do appreciate the technical advances of some of the air guns today and I do have more modern stuff as well, but find the original guns more rewarding to shoot. I still like to read your old tests and ft pages from that era as I have some of the rarer guns that you tested back then.
    Atb Doug

Gerald Cardew was a real gent and a very knowledgeable individual. He did a fair amount of work on guns I owned in the past such as an Excellent CII, Britannia, Walther LP53, etc. He even made me some synthetic piston rings for a Webley Service air rifle, which are still going strong, some 20 years later.

Gerald was indeed a true pioneer in respect of the technical aspect of our sport and is very much missed by this anorak as well as many others, I'm sure.

John

I first met Gerald in about 88-89 and worked with him on airgun projectile designs. I designed the projectiles which he then made and fired. I still have some of the samples, even fired some a year ago over the chronos.
    I analysed his experimental results and regularly traveled up to his house. Later I provided some assistance in Trigger to Target. A real gentleman and always keen to talk and learn about the aspects of projectile flight which he did not already know or understand.

I have both books, excellent

Wink GC2

I remember Gerald Cardew every time I shoot my Sportsmatch GC2 (No215)

Nearly 30 years old and it's still out shooting EV2's, Steyr's and FTP 900's......

Here's a bit of a write up thanks to Google..

"In its day, the GC2 was probably the most coveted rifle a shooter could own; it was akin to owning a Ferrari. Most were sold for use in UK field target competitions, but some were fitted with sporting stocks. The name was derived from 'Gerald Cardew', the famous airgun engineer who designed the GC2 air regulating mechanism. 'GC1' was a testbed for the regulator and not a production rifle. The GC2 was produced in three marks from 1986 to 1993. In all, around 350 guns were produced, some were sold as 'action only' and were married to custom-built stocks from the likes of John Welham. Weight varies accordingly, but these guns have alloy cylinders and are quite light for their size. The two-stage flat blade trigger is fully adjustable. The Lothar Walther barrel was fitted with a fluted muzzle brake to prevent barrel lift on firing. Most were .177 caliber, although any caliber was available. A bullpup version called the Scimitar was available, although only twelve were made.

Thanks guys, nice memories you have of the man, I would have loved to have spent a day with the man talking airguns and anoraking the day away.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wolverine View Post
    I remember Gerald Cardew every time I shoot my Sportsmatch GC2 (No215)

Nearly 30 years old and it's still out shooting EV2's, Steyr's and FTP 900's......

Here's a bit of a write up thanks to Google..

"In its day, the GC2 was probably the most coveted rifle a shooter could own; it was akin to owning a Ferrari. Most were sold for use in UK field target competitions, but some were fitted with sporting stocks. The name was derived from 'Gerald Cardew', the famous airgun engineer who designed the GC2 air regulating mechanism. 'GC1' was a testbed for the regulator and not a production rifle. The GC2 was produced in three marks from 1986 to 1993. In all, around 350 guns were produced, some were sold as 'action only' and were married to custom-built stocks from the likes of John Welham. Weight varies accordingly, but these guns have alloy cylinders and are quite light for their size. The two-stage flat blade trigger is fully adjustable. The Lothar Walther barrel was fitted with a fluted muzzle brake to prevent barrel lift on firing. Most were .177 caliber, although any caliber was available. A bullpup version called the Scimitar was available, although only twelve were made.
    Good to hear just might try and add one to my ever growing collection.

lube

did anybody try his red and black synthetic lubes

Quote Originally Posted by gunstock View Post
    did anybody try his red and black synthetic lubes
    Not familiar with those lubes what year would that have been?
    Doug

lubes

i think it must have been early 80,s i think they had a peculiar smell to them, i also used to buy springs off him for a fiver,