Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who remembers Gerald Cardew (Blue Nose)

Quote Originally Posted by lbl25a View Post
    I missed this thread as haven't visited this forum for some time. Found it following a search.
    No one mentioned that Gerald Cardew was the original inventor and designer of the Sportsmatch GC2. In this I believe that his contribution to airgun technology was greater than his experiments on Springers.
    In its day the GC2 was regarded as the ultimate quality PCP and although it's design was revolutionary there is no equivalent airgun available on the market today.
    Gerald took the Dump valve design used in the Sharp Innova and applied it to the PCP. The Webley Rebel has provided a modern equivalent of the Sharp Innova which was so popular because the action of the Dump valve was much nicer to shoot than the conventional hammer.
    I wonder if a modern equivalent of the GC2 with some of its drawbacks designed out and made at a competitive price would be as popular.
    Lots of GC2s still out there, and performing fantastically.

Making that gun today, to those standards, would make it a very, very expensive gun. But then, there does appear to be a market for high-end, special PCPs, so maybe viable?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Storrington (except when in Spain for the winter)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Lots of GC2s still out there, and performing fantastically.

Making that gun today, to those standards, would make it a very, very expensive gun. But then, there does appear to be a market for high-end, special PCPs, so maybe viable?
    I am not suggesting that the GC2 be remanufactured in its original form but that a new rifle might be created based on the technology pioneered by Gerald Cardew and taking advantage of advances in modern design and manufacturing technology. I have never handled a GC2 let alone stripped one down, but if the construction corresponds to the description in his Patent, there is a lot that could be simplified or replaced by other components such as those used in the Paintball industry. For example, for the sum of £35 I recently bought a brand new 200 CC Aluminium buddy bottle incorporating a patented pressure regulator at the output with pressure gauge and safety burst discs. This was made by Guerilla Air for paintball guns but will provide the perfect power source for a lightweight take down survival type rifle that that I am building for myself.
    TonyB
    Last edited by lbl25a; 31-10-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Correction of memory lapse