Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rifle Scoring for the MPL Postal Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Thank you Bob. Hoping we can carry on with this rifle league as a regular fixture, now the teething troubles are out of the way
    I hope so too.

It has been a long time since we last had the chance to shoot Classic target air rifles at 6 yards in a national postal league and this competition is open to everyone in the UK, so whilst it is not exactly in the same league as the much loved and missed NARPA series it does bring back some happy memories of better times.

The rifle's used then of course were not Classics but "state of the art" for the time period, but the time delay has been long enough for most of the types used such as the Feinwerkbau 300S and Original Model 66 and 75 to become classics and so this competition brings out the 'feel" of what it was like to shoot in those early NSRA and NARPA postal leagues.

The long time delay since then has seen a change of 6 yard targets (that certainly caught me out) but as you say this is only a small teething problem that has now been sorted out so we should be able to move onwards with a strong series for the future.

It is good to see interested persons contributing to the thread that do not currently take part in the competition and hopefully several more reading the thread that may also be tempted to "have a go" - hopefully in the near future - but if not, their help and guidance has been appreciated.

It is never too late to enter any of the MPL series as long as you are willing to "catch-up" before they end ( this one ends in December 2014) so lets hope we continue to gain more entries as we go along.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Phew, that was interesting waiting and watching in the wings as the scores recorder. Great that everyone helped fathom it out and as Bob says it may have sparked interest just by following the debate. I'm holding fast still and not getting drawn into rifle shooting as well as I'm on a mission to improve my pistol shooting through focussed practice. OH but I'm sorely tempted and finding it very hard to resist, perhaps I should get a classic and teach my daughter to shoot it!!!
    Now to revisit the spread sheets and change back the un-corrections I made and repost the results much more fun than other things I'm doing at the moment though.

George

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Just to clarify Rickenbacker's question , "if the shot is really close to the pip but the whole pip remains is it a nine?"
    The answer is possiby, it depends on whether the shot hole (4.5mm) has touched the pip, it does not have to cut it, if it has touched its a ten, if not its a nine. As they are so small its difficult to be sure by eye which is where a guage comes in.
    As already said the targets are inward scoring but also in the rules they are technically inward guaging as well, but Brian was unsure as to whether the NSRA still had .177/4.5mm guages ( I thought the shop still had them) but as the rings sizes are compatible the NSRA rules also define the air rifle outward guage (which is 5.5 flange size) as the one to use on Air 7's.
    If you don't know how to use an outward guage and inward score there is an illustration in the NSRA rules (I think in Appendix A, but if its not I'm sure some one will correct me!) Either guage is a bit fiddly to use and a good magnifying glass helps.
    For those unsure, the NSRA does run scoring courses.
    The answer is of course is the hit the pip clean, have fun which is the key thing and well done Zooma for organising this competition and may it bring many more into the target fold.
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by perlin View Post
    Me too ! Thought it was looking too good. Will adjust and let George know.....
    John
    Hi John, your scores are NOT too good to be true as we now know the AIR 7 targets that we are using are indeed designed to be scored UP so your original scores still stand - sorry for any confusion I may have caused
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.