Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Scoring for the MPL Postal Series.

Rifle Scoring for the MPL Postal Series.

I have made this post following enquiries from competitors regarding the scoring method to be used when scoring their MPL Postal League Rifle targets.

The reason for this clarification is that some people are either entering a target air rifle competition for the very first time, and others are contemplating entering their very first target air rifle competition and would like to know the basic difference between scoring their air rifle targets as opposed to scoring their air pistol targets as they are aware that there was a difference.

The basic difference is that 6 yard air pistol targets are always scored UP, whereas the 6 yard air rifle targets were scored DOWN. This was the case with the original 6 yard (AIR 1) air rifle targets but the current AIR 7 targets have been designed for scoring UP.

What this means as far as scoring an MPL AIR 7 air rifle target is that if any dividing line between any of the scoring rings is touched or cut then the shot is scored UP to the next rings marked score.

This method applies to all of the scoring rings, so basically if any scoring ring is touched or cut then it must be scored UP to the next ring score.

If anyone who has already shot and scored their MPL postal league rifle cards has made a mistake or unwittingly scored their cards incorrectly it is not a problem - just score your cards again and re-submit your revised score so we can update the monthly records.

I also think it would be a great idea for anyone who does score a perfect card of 50 ex 50 in this MPL Postal Competition to submit a photo of it to inspire the rest if us and to prove to the doubters that it can be achieved.

This post has been revised to accommodate the difference now made clear between the original 6 yard air rifle targets (AIR 1) and the current type 6 yard air rifle target (AIR 7) that we are using for this competition.
    Last edited by zooma; 09-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Yes, I've scoring mine up, please remove scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Daniels View Post
    Yes, I've scoring mine up, please remove scores.
    No problem Neil - just check your cards again and re-submit the revised scores.probably no need - the AIR 7 cards are designed to be scored UP - sorry for any confusion

From the enquiries I have had I feel sure you will not be the only one to have done this - I shot some cards last night and did the same thing !

..it looked OK for at first, but when I re-scored the cards using the scoring DOWN process and I was about 4 points per card worse off!
    Last edited by zooma; 09-09-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Me too ! Thought it was looking too good. Will adjust and let George know.....
    John

waiting with spread sheet at the ready - I did not know that either!! Thanks BOB.

George

Bull

The bull (10) is the tiny white dot in the middle of the target right? if we break the line into the nine ring it counts as a nine,it is therefore impossible to score a ten as the ten is 0.5mm and a .177 pellet is 4.5mm and will always break the line into the nine,therefore the highest score possible on each card is 45 is this correct?i am very confused.Would it not be better to leave the scores as they are as we are half way through the comp and alter the scoring to outward gauging for the next comp?obviously everyone is using inward gauging at the moment and i don't see any unrealistic scores on the score sheets at the moment.
    Last edited by buzzz; 07-09-2014 at 06:31 AM.

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    The nine ring is bigger than 4.5mm,it is possible to score 10 and not hit the ring.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    The nine ring is bigger than 4.5mm,it is possible to score 10 and not hit the ring.
    If you are counting from the centre out the ten is the white dot the nine is the next black section which the pellet will enter every time due to its size therefore it will score a nine not a ten.

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip

Cool

I see your take on it.but as long as you don't hit the 9 line you will have as close to a perfect shot as humanely possible.I have done it a few times at 10m,but I always say its better to be lucky than good.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

I see your take on it.but as long as you don't hit the 9 line you will have as close to a perfect shot as humanely possible.I have done it a few times at 10m,but I always say its better to be lucky than good.
    You can not avoid the nine line,are we talking about the same targets? the one i have in front of me is the NSRA air7 6 yard target.

Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzz View Post
    If you are counting from the centre out the ten is the white dot the nine is the next black section which the pellet will enter every time due to its size therefore it will score a nine not a ten.
    If you do not touch or break the dividing line then it is a 10 - no problem

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If you do not touch or break the dividing line then it is a 10 - no problem
    If you break the next WHITE line is scores an eight if you are scorned DOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzz View Post
    If you break the next WHITE line is scores an eight if you are scorned DOWN.
    Hi Buzz,

#7. The nine ring is bigger than 4.5mm,it is possible to score 10 and not hit the ring.
    Last edited by zooma; 09-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Buzz,

The previous postings already cover the situation clearly enough for it to be workable and understandable.

I will copy those that are the more clear and decisive for you and repeat them here again:-

#1. Here is a clear cut example.

A perfect score of 50 can only be achieved if every shot is dead central and exactly in the middle of the 10 ring - but if any part of any hole even touches (or cuts) the dividing ring between the 9 and the bull then it will become a 9 and not a 10.

This same method applies to all of the scoring rings, so basically if any scoring ring is touched or cut then it must be scored DOWN to the next lower ring score.

This is very important - especially when shooting a match rifle at 6 yards to avoid any unrealistically high scores.

#7. The nine ring is bigger than 4.5mm,it is possible to score 10 and not hit the ring.
    You can keep on repeating it but it does not make it right,take one of the targets and place a pellet dead centre of one of the targets look directly down on that target at least 75% of that pellet is sat in the nine ring,how can that be a ten if most of the pellet is in the nine ring,if you touch the next white line then you score eight,
    Lets look at it another way,how do you score a nine?