Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Scoring for the MPL Postal Series.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

what a web we weave ,my understanding based on the above is that where the greater area of the hole lies is the position scored [for rifle] where as
    the pistol is given the score where its outer edge lies or breaks a score line on the edge nearest the bull.
    a perfect 10 is as bob says , "dead centre" with all edges of hole equi distant from the 9 ring once again confirming that the majority of the hole determines score.
    this method seems to score consistently through the disc if ive understood correctly.
    Last edited by red bob; 08-09-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by buzzz View Post
    You can keep on repeating it but it does not make it right,take one of the targets and place a pellet dead centre of one of the targets look directly down on that target at least 75% of that pellet is sat in the nine ring,how can that be a ten if most of the pellet is in the nine ring,if you touch the next white line then you score eight,
    Lets look at it another way,how do you score a nine?
    Buzz, I think you've either got hold of the wrong target, or the wrong size pellet.

If I place a pellet in the center of one of the 5 diagrams on the Air 7 card, I can clearly see the white 9 ring all the way around the pellet. That's how to score a 10.

More than around 1mm from dead center - the pellet will break the 9 ring. Scoring a 9.

As Zooma says - the rules is OUTWARD scoring. He should know, being the competition organiser.

HTH, but if you're still confused, take a photo of yours. And if you like, I'll take a photo of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Buzz, I think you've either got hold of the wrong target, or the wrong size pellet.

If I place a pellet in the center of one of the 5 diagrams on the Air 7 card, I can clearly see the white 9 ring all the way around the pellet. That's how to score a 10.

More than around 1mm from dead center - the pellet will break the 9 ring. Scoring a 9.

As Zooma says - the rules is OUTWARD scoring. He should know, being the competition organiser.

HTH, but if you're still confused, take a photo of yours. And if you like, I'll take a photo of mine
    The white line is the line that takes you into the Eight ring if you are scoring down

Quote Originally Posted by buzzz View Post
    The white line is the line that takes you into the Eight ring if you are scoring down
    I know what you are saying.

I have just shot a card where the pellet takes away half of the small 10 spot but also breaks the ring between the 9 and the 8 scoring rings.This will score as a 10

I also have have a shot that is directly in the 7 scoring ring but it also cuts the 8 scoring line. This is scored as an 8.

Hi Buzz, now we know the Air 7 target was designed to be scored UP I have adjusted this posting to read correctly.
    Last edited by zooma; 09-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Not trying to confuse the issue, your competition so your rules on scoring, however you are trying to use 'outward' scoring technique on a target that was designed for 'inward scoring. Technically, it's not possible to outward score a target that has a 10 ring smaller than the projectile being used.
    No matter whether a target is scored 'inward' or 'outward' the 'boundary' for score change is the outside of the line e.g. for inward scoring, if the hole (or plug) touches the line the higher score is given and for outward scoring the high score prevails until the line is broken.
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Having read the thread from the beginning I feel that it would be worth referring to NSRA Rules Appendix A, section dealing with the use of the
    4. 5 mm OVERSIZE GAUGE FOR 10 m AIR RIFLE AND RUNNING TARGET AND FOR 6 yard AIR RIFLE. In particular it should be noted that the gauge size used for scoring on the next outer ring is 5.5mm. If you are using a 4.5mm gauge then you should score inward. As Romah observes, that is the way the targets are designed, the oversize gauge is only used to improve scoring accuracy because of the small highly curved rings.

A "10" using outward scoring with a 4.5mm gauge on the 6yd Air 7 Target would give a value of the approximately 10.6 were decimal scoring used vs. inward scoring. I doubt that it was intended to be so difficult.

Rutty

The NSRA Rules may be downloaded from the Reference Section of the NSRA website

Quote Originally Posted by Romah View Post
    Technically, it's not possible to outward score a target that has a 10 ring smaller than the projectile being used.

As far as scoring goes we are only interested in getting everyone to score in the same direction so we have comparable scores between all competitors, and if you read all of the threads here you will see that I continue to check everything that has been submitted so far with the intention of resolving all issues as soon as possible.

The next thread I submit should shown a positive response from all of the information I have been able to gather.

All Change - we will score the AIR 7 targets UP.

One of our good friends who has many years of international shooting experience with air rifles (and rim fire and centre fire) has been doing some research into target sizes for us to help resolve this scoring problem, and he has come up with some interesting information to help us explain and resolve the issues we have had raised here on this thread.

Basically 6 yard air rifle shooting is not an international standard ( this is 10 meters) but a national sport that is seldom practiced in many UK target shooting clubs anymore (bell target excepted), and very few competitions are organised for the discipline since the unfortunate demise of NARPA who championed the national 6 yard standard events for us here in the UK for many years.

Previously the old adage - " if it is an air pistol you score UP and if it is an air rifle your score DOWN" may no longer apply on all targets as some of the newer 6 yard air rifle targets have been scaled rather differently to the older 6 yard air rifle targets.

Our friend spoke to Brian Woodal at the NSRA about the 6 yard AIR 7 target on our behalf (he is the man for this type of thing), and he said the Air 7 target is actually the same size as the old pre 1989 10 metre air rifle target but it is easier to shoot at 6yds and was intended to encourage newcomers to target air rifle shooting.

He did point out that the previous 6 yard air rifle target (the Air 1) was designed for outward scoring but it was made obsolete in 1989 leaving the only NSRA rifle target left that was designed for outward scoring as the .22 prone 25 yard target.

So there we have it.

The last time I shot 6 yard air rifle at a paper target it must have been in the early NARPA days and the current NSRA 6 yard air rifle target then was the AIR 1 and it was specifically designed for what we refer to as scoring DOWN.

The revised ( and current) NSRA 6 yard air rifle target is the AIR 7 and the reason why we have had the problems scoring the cards in the "traditional way" for 6 yard air rifles is because the target has been changed for specific use when scoring UP.

Now we are aware of this we should change our scoring method for this 6 yard MPL postal competition to scoring UP exactly as we do in the 6 yard MPL postal air pistol competition.

I will make a change to the first thread so anyone reading it for the first time can see that we have debated the issues caused by different competitors scoring their cards in different ways and that our "traditional" 6 yard rifle scoring DOWN method will not work since the change form the original AIR 1 targets to the current stye AIR7 targets that we are using now.

Looks like Buzz had got it right then. My scores entered have been scored upward

Please can I just check to confirm how we score a 10?

i.e. If a shot takes the pip out, it's a 10?

If a shot takes half the pip out, it's still a 10?

If a shot is really close to the pip, but the whole pip remains, it's a 9?

Not that I'm planning on hitting many tens....

i.e. If a shot takes the pip out, it's a 10?

If a shot takes half the pip out, it's still a 10?

If a shot is really close to the pip, but the whole pip remains, it's a 9?

If you look on the NSRA site under scoring there is a diagram (right at the bottom of the page) showing the correct way score a card

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    waiting with spread sheet at the ready - I did not know that either!! Thanks BOB.

George
    George you can put your spreadsheets away now.

i.e. If a shot takes the pip out, it's a 10?YES

If a shot takes half the pip out, it's still a 10?YES

If a shot is really close to the pip, but the whole pip remains, it's a 9?YES

Hopefully we will now have everyone scoring their cards in the same way so all scores will relate to each other. You have got it right

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    As far as scoring goes we are only interested in getting everyone to score in the same direction so we have comparable scores between all competitors, and if you read all of the threads here you will see that I continue to check everything that has been submitted so far with the intention of resolving all issues as soon as possible.

The next thread I submit should shown a positive response from all of the information I have been able to gather.
    As stated in my original post 'Not trying to confuse the issue', the reply was intended to try and relate to some of questions being asked, no criticism intended.
    Good to see the issue has been resolved in a swift and sensible manner..... Well done Zooma
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hopefully we will now have everyone scoring their cards in the same way so all scores will relate to each other. You have got it right
    Thank you Bob. Hoping we can carry on with this rifle league as a regular fixture, now the teething troubles are out of the way