Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fwb sport open sights query.

fwb sport open sights query.

Esteemed gentlemen, did the mk1 sport ever come with the interchangeable element foresight or not? I've read numerous posts about the wraparound / crosspin / dovetailed tunnel, so my presumption is that the interchangeable element isn't a mk1 feature. Help!

Fwb sights

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    Esteemed gentlemen, did the mk1 sport ever come with the interchangeable element foresight or not? I've read numerous posts about the wraparound / crosspin / dovetailed tunnel, so my presumption is that the interchangeable element isn't a mk1 feature. Help!
    Hi P.sharp
    The mk1 127 I had in the 1970,s did
    not but the 1980,s mk2 124 I have now does
    The mk1 124 may have had interchangeable elements with it been .177
    Regards
    Les

I thought that to be the case looks like i'll be on the lookout for a mk1 foresight as mine is currently fitted with a 124 rear & mk2 foresight.

124/127 sight

The wrap round sight was interchangable element yes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I currently have a dovetail foresight with interchangeable element which, I suspect isn't right for the mk1.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I currently have a dovetail foresight with interchangeable element which, I suspect isn't right for the mk1.
    I wouldn't be sure of that. I've seen 'Mk1' 124s and 127s with both types.

I think that two thirds or more of all FWB Sports were made/sold in the earlier phase of its circa 15-year production run. (There was a sharp tailing off of the numbers produced during the '80s, with the large majority sold, it seems, in the first period - at least in the UK).

It seems quite possible to me that the interchangeable element front sight was brought in while 'Mk1' rifles (ie. those with plastic trigger) were being produced, although I vaguely remember the advertising of the Mk2 boasted of removeable elements as one of the 'new and improved' features.

I've only ever seen "MkII" stamped on the breech, not Mk1 or Mk3, so these labels weren't used consistently, at least by Feinwerkbau itself, and even when "MkII" was used, it was largely a marketing ploy, it appears.

Remember also that some dealers would have had Mk1s in stock well after the Mk2 introduction date, so new owners (or perhaps the dealers) could have upgraded triggers and sights themselves, muddying the waters further.

The above might be wrong and I would be happy to see someone come out with clear developments linked to serial nos! An exact introduction date for the FWB Sport would be helpful too. I've seen US adverts for it as early as 1973, but I have a feeling it didn't hit the shelves here until at least 1975 (or later still?). Does anyone who was a dealer at the time know when it was first imported here?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hmm, so the foresight could be correct. The serial is 18000 ish (plastic trigger / nice stock), so could it be close to the mk2 introduction (not sure)

The rear sight is wrong though, i'll have to put a wanted ad up, on the off chance somebody has a 127 rear sight on their 124 - unlikely!

Hmm, so the foresight could be correct. The serial is 18000 ish (plastic trigger / nice stock), so could it be close to the mk2 introduction (not sure)

The rear sight is wrong though, i'll have to put a wanted ad up, on the off chance somebody has a 127 rear sight on their 124 - unlikely!
    I think the Mk2s were nearer the 40,000 mark. One here is 42xxx.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...

Just bought an FWB124

I have just bought an FWB124 Sport serial 42xxx with tunnel foresight some small marks on stock but bluing is really good. Going to the range tomorrow,so should i shoot it just with open sights or fit a scope ? and what scope do think will look better on it ? Regards Gordon. ps What Mk would you say it is, there`s no Mk on the breech area
    Last edited by gordon; 05-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.

My mk2 is 38xxx it has the asi sticker like the one pictured, but has the odd shaped, pressed checker stock

Opens are good Gordon, providing your eyes are. Any scope will do....as long as its 80's period & gloss black

4xxxx will be mk2

It is well possible as you have pointed out & can't confirm any of this either way.I have a small collection of Sports 11 or so & the only things that are definite as to models are the rear sight difference between cals,butt pad, the MKII stamping all of these have the metal trigger ,the safety differs also but is same on a couple of early ones but these could have been changed.The checkering changes then reverts back to MKI style in between the years some where & some of what i believe are MKI's have metal triggers again could have been changed later.
    Then to complicate it more the 124 i have looks to be a MKII numbers start with 42 does NOT say MKII on breach & has the interchangeable elements so as you see hard to define.
    Just put on which ever you like no one will mind.

Thanks for the replies, i will post some pictures later.

Yes it seems they were built with whatever parts were to hand. My mk2 has a little window in the safety slide, the mk1 doesn't...but that wouldn't mean all mk1 didn't have that feature.

Safe to say its all as clear as mud! I'll just set about getting the rear sight exchanged

Opens are good Gordon, providing your eyes are. Any scope will do....as long as its 80's period & gloss black

4xxxx will be mk2
    It`s been some time since i last shot a rifle with open sights`s, should be interesting