Thread: Gamo Coyote .22

Gamo Coyote .22

Hi thought I would do a little review of my friends rifle that he recently acquired Right to make this a bit easier Ill do a list of sorts.

1. Blueing - to be fair its terrible, you can see machining marks all the way down the cylinder and barrel has got a very thin coat.
    2. The Stock - surprisingly nice to look at but the grip is too far back for any normal person you feel like your reaching for the trigger, so much my friend has already started going at the grip area to improve this.
    3. The trigger - cr@p, sorry gamo it truly is, worst trigger Ive used so far and Ive owned a b2
    4. The mag housing plate - its plastic and has crack in it already
    5. The filler port - a plastic sleeve pulls off which exposes the port, which I like really.
    6. The mag - bsa mag works good plus for that
    7. Cocking - fairly hard to cock but not to point of being a pain.
    8. Weight - its got some weight, lighter than a hw97 or tx but heavier than my s400 with its big daft scope on. You would need a sling if hunting.

The main points sorta covered the with all them negative points theres something about it that makes you smile, the accuracy is excellent, the shot count is good at near enough 100 shots give or take perfect for hunting which I know this rifle is best suited. Very very quiet with Weihrauch mod on made my s400 sound like a cannon. Its nothing like a bsa it looks like one but not in the same category, the bolt is fairly dodgy looking but I replaced it with a scorpion one I had lying about.

To sum up its still a cracking rifle and I will give you all an update after we have finished fettling it. I hope this review hasn't upset anyone or come across as a dig at the rifle, I still like the rifle its got loads of charm

Cheers Stu.
    Last edited by Stu83; 10-09-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Nice review, for the money that and the Walther seem excellent value for money, . I have not seent the Gammo myself yet but have tried the Walther and was very impressed. I own the BSA Ultra in .22 with the MMC unit which I find a great rifle., ok the Gammo is built down to a price but hey sounds it works well enough. Please keep us informerd how it progresses

Looking at the walther yesterday it seems to have a better build quality. My friend was round today with the stock, he's done a bit of work on the pistol grip area to make it more comfortable for him. One of the main gripes is the distance from the grip to the trigger seems a bit far even though the length of pull seems bang on

Just thought I would add my two penneth having just bought the Coyote over the Walther RM8,
    First off its a heavy gun, but nicely made and well balanced, which is what put me off the RM8, way to front heavy.
    The trigger is a bit lacking in feel, but can be tweaked to make it somewhat better, I have yet to go into the action to see what I can improve.
    The stock is nice but as said its a bit of a stretch, so it either a case of modifying, or change or make one that suites, which is what I am going to do.
    The action is not bad, but way better feeling than the RM8 which use a modded umarex 850 Co2, which is rather cheap and flimsy feeling to use, just my opinion.

I bought the .177 and it seems to have plenty of power, and is very accurate, however I am still searching for the perfect pellet.

My only gripe is that although the magazine indexing is pretty good, its possible to double load if you don't get it cocked first go, as its still a knochey and stiff, but it should ease with more use.

just to add my bit. i bought one just over a week ago from SGC in Newport. i opted for the beech stock also but after a week although it looked nice i found it uncomfortable so i contacted the shop and asked if i could exchange it under their 2 week no quibble rule, for the black synthetic "whisper" version. No problem a straight swap. Although still not the best of stocks its very user friendly and the adjustable cheek piece gave me a good fit. Yes the finish is not the best but when your shooting it your not looking at the finer details and yes its accurate....so far anyway. It is, imo a BSA Buccaneer tuned down to UK spec. The cocking action, imo is as stiff as my previously owned AA S410 Extra which i owned a few year ago and yes it is possible to double load but if you do fail to pull the bolt back far enough just pull the mag to avoid a double shot...but like all guns you need to get used to their characteristics. The BSA Buccaneer stock is available as a spare from Knibbs.......if Gamo used that stock instead of investing in the Italian made for Giants one they chose, I'm sure these rifles would be more popular....For a vermin shooter these are really god value for the money