Thread: 7.5 K31 loads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7.5 K31 loads

Gents,

Any suggestions as good starting points for this combination?

Privi brass and bullets to hand, would go for N140 but open to suggestions.

Thanks

K31

At 50 yards for a plinking load, 6gns of Red Dot with a 150gn loverin type cast bullet.......half inch groups. Any fast pistol powder will do, Green Dot, Bullseye..6-7 gns... For 100 yards, 150-190 gn cast bullet, 14 gns of 4198, any other fast rifle powder. For Bisley, 200 yards and FMJ I usually use 3031, 32 gns...a very mild, accurate load. Re 7 also good.... N140 has a very good reputation and Vit reloading data is online.

Dodgy Rog has the 190gn NOE k31 cast bullet mould, made especially to fit the k31 bore. Hard cast and GC, Rog shoots them at 600 yards, I understand.

My home range does not allow FMJ so I have experimented with a number of cast bullet types...problem is getting them to chamber in the very tight bore with practically no lead in to the rifling.
    You will have no problems with the PPU FMJ bullets.

Mike95

Mike,

thanks for that - did not think about cast! good idea for short range.

T

Hey, talk to me, you guys! I've been shooting Swiss since a school vacation in the early 1960's, and I'm always happy to talk Swiss to anybody I can get to listen.

I have a 1954 K31, a 1914 K11 and a K31-actioned 300m target rifle in .308Win. I also have both early and later [new] diopter sights, and a scope mount - all from Swiss Products in Kallispel Montana.

I've been a writer and poster on Swiss schtuff on www.swissrifles.com for many years, and a reloader since the unfortunately huge ammunition price hike here in UK made GP11 more expensive than PPU factory stuff, which is, incidentally 200-250fps slower than GP11.

Best

tac

Here's my current load taken from the Lapua loading quide:

155gr Scenar, PPU Case, CCI 200 primer, 46.3gr N140, full length resized cases.

This gives an average MV of around 2850 ft/s, which will be supersonic to over 1000yds. Note that Lapua data predicts a MV of 2490 ft/s. (No, I don't know why, either...)

Your results may differ.

Cheers

Harry

(And Good afternoon Tac... )
    Remember, being ignorant is not your fault. Staying ignorant is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
    Here's my current load taken from the Lapua loading quide:

155gr Scenar, PPU Case, CCI 200 primer, 46.3gr N140, full length resized cases.

This gives an average MV of around 2850 ft/s, which will be supersonic to over 1000yds. Note that Lapua data predicts a MV of 2490 ft/s. (No, I don't know why, either...)

Your results may differ.

Cheers

Harry

(And Good afternoon Tac... )
    Afternoom, Sir. That sounds like a lively load! Mind you, the bullet is 19gr lighter than the usual item. When I win the lottery I'll buy one of those nice bullets and give it a go.

tac, registered skatecheap, shooting PPU bullets at fippencebippence a thousand.