Thread: .22 Hornet reloading.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

.22 Hornet reloading.

Another problem !!!
    Just set up my reloading rig and was de-priming some cases (.22 Hornet, once fired Hornady cases).

After about a dozen cases the pin of the de-primer jammed in the case and became detached from the die, leaving it (the pin) stuck in the flash hole in the case and protruding through it so the case will not come out of the shell holder.

I know tomorrow I can get it out at work but will it fit back into the die ?

On close inspection of the cases I saw that some of the flash holes were not central in the primer pocket, presumably this is what caused the jam.

I'm using Lee dies and I've just checked the full length sizing die, which incorporates a de-priming pin, and the pin won't even fit through the flash hole of a case I've taken the primer out of !

Anyone had this with Hornady cases before ?

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    I've reloaded loads of these cases in the past and never had this before. Must just be a duff batch I'm afraid.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

it would seem differing makers make there pins in different widths had problems with some of mine
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

.22 hornet reloads

Hi
    If you are reloading S&B .22 hornet, the flash holes in most of them are off centre and will jam the pin of the decapper.
    I try and avoid S&B brass. Most other brass, ppu, rws, winchester etc decap fine, I use a Lee hand loader and de primer.
    regards
    Steve

I had exactly the same problem when trying to de-prime hornady factory cases,the flash holes are slightly smaller than normal.

Rick.
    CZ 452 .22 Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
    Zabala 12 bore.

I fixed the de-caper pin and looked at some Remington and Kynock cases. The holes are central and large enough for the de-caper pins. It must be the Hornady brass.

The bummer is I've bought quite a batch of Hornady, planning on reloading it, now I can't even de-cap it.

Does anyone know of a sensible way of removing spent primers without using the tool, as it will only jam again ? I'm toying with the idea of drilling out the flash holes to centralise and enlarge them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevef View Post
    Hi
    If you are reloading S&B .22 hornet, the flash holes in most of them are off centre and will jam the pin of the decapper.
    I try and avoid S&B brass. Most other brass, ppu, rws, winchester etc decap fine, I use a Lee hand loader and de primer.
    regards
    Steve
    I was told that Hornady took over S&B and was using their brass for the .22 Hornet and new brass for the .17 Hornet and that the S&B was poor quality with misaligned holes a common problem. I'm using Lee equipment and it seems fine with "regular" sized holes.

Well I can now officially join the club, bought a reloading kit this afternoon & having de-primed the first 9 no problem, number 10 has pulled the pin from the mandrel, ho hum, & so it begins