Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet reloading.

.22 Hornet reloading.

Another problem !!!
    Just set up my reloading rig and was de-priming some cases (.22 Hornet, once fired Hornady cases).

After about a dozen cases the pin of the de-primer jammed in the case and became detached from the die, leaving it (the pin) stuck in the flash hole in the case and protruding through it so the case will not come out of the shell holder.

I know tomorrow I can get it out at work but will it fit back into the die ?

On close inspection of the cases I saw that some of the flash holes were not central in the primer pocket, presumably this is what caused the jam.

I'm using Lee dies and I've just checked the full length sizing die, which incorporates a de-priming pin, and the pin won't even fit through the flash hole of a case I've taken the primer out of !

Anyone had this with Hornady cases before ?

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    I've reloaded loads of these cases in the past and never had this before. Must just be a duff batch I'm afraid.
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

it would seem differing makers make there pins in different widths had problems with some of mine
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

.22 hornet reloads

Hi
    If you are reloading S&B .22 hornet, the flash holes in most of them are off centre and will jam the pin of the decapper.
    I try and avoid S&B brass. Most other brass, ppu, rws, winchester etc decap fine, I use a Lee hand loader and de primer.
    regards
    Steve

I had exactly the same problem when trying to de-prime hornady factory cases,the flash holes are slightly smaller than normal.

Rick.
    CZ 452 .22 Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
    Zabala 12 bore.

I fixed the de-caper pin and looked at some Remington and Kynock cases. The holes are central and large enough for the de-caper pins. It must be the Hornady brass.

The bummer is I've bought quite a batch of Hornady, planning on reloading it, now I can't even de-cap it.

Does anyone know of a sensible way of removing spent primers without using the tool, as it will only jam again ? I'm toying with the idea of drilling out the flash holes to centralise and enlarge them.

rcbs lymann pins
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

I've bought another mandrel and intend on turning the de-capping pin down to fit,I've got 175 once fired hornady cases that I can't bear to throw away so this seemed like a good option.

Rick.
    Zabala 12 bore.

yep had the same with S&B cases so drilled hem all with Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer, fine from there on in. In the end used ppu cases which were fine but lacked capacity wish i'd have gone rem.

Hope this helps

John

HandyAndy is offline His Croquembouche is still talked of in hushed tones to this day....
    Chesterfield looking out over them there hill's.
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    yep had the same with S&B cases so drilled hem all with Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer, fine from there on in. In the end used ppu cases which were fine but lacked capacity wish i'd have gone rem.

Hope this helps

John
    I was contemplating this course of action when I got some S & B brass for my hornet, I was most strongly advised not to drill it out as the case design could be compromised. Along with materially weakening the primer pocket area.

Do yourself a favour and thin down your de capping pin end, leave the brass alone, do you really want to reduce the case thickness??

I took mine back and got ppu and Remington brass, no issues at all

Quote Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
    I was contemplating this course of action when I got some S & B brass for my hornet, I was most strongly advised not to drill it out as the case design could be compromised. Along with materially weakening the primer pocket area.

Do yourself a favour and thin down your de capping pin end, leave the brass alone, do you really want to reduce the case thickness??

I took mine back and got ppu and Remington brass, no issues at all
    How would opening the flash hole(to the same size as standard flash holes)reduce the case thickness

Rick.
    Zabala 12 bore.

HandyAndy is offline His Croquembouche is still talked of in hushed tones to this day....
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    How would opening the flash hole(to the same size as standard flash holes)reduce the case thickness

Rick.
    On the face of it you would think that a .22 hornet case would be the same from all manufacturers, but there not, hence why the S & B brass has a smaller flash hole. Yet other manufacturers don't and there's no need to drill them out. If this was brass that was loaded by S & B then you would think it peculiar, but as its brass that is sold for loading and almost all reloading kit suppliers work to standard dimensions then it is definetly strange.

Can you accurately measure the full dimensional details of the cases and say without doubt you are not going to weaken it by drilling it out?

I decided to return the S & B cases I had and held out for the Remmy cases to come available. I find that ppu cases suit my needs as my loads are not compressed and internal case volume is not an issue. I have some Remmy to use but I'll continue with these for now.

The only given standards I can see that case manufacturers stick to are the overall outer dims as they are the ones that determine the fit in the breech / throat of the rifle.

For every positive action, there is an equally positive reaction someone once said

Here's a strange one for you, after having the same problem as the op I bought a new(unopened) bag of Remington brass, when I opened it the headstamp was Hornady but the flash hole was standard size.
    After some research on the net I found out that Remington make the .22 hornet brass for Hornady and somebody in production had forgotten to change the headstamp,same brass,different size flash hole

Rick.
    Zabala 12 bore.

Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Here's a strange one for you, after having the same problem as the op I bought a new(unopened) bag of Remington brass, when I opened it the headstamp was Hornady but the flash hole was standard size.
    After some research on the net I found out that Remington make the .22 hornet brass for Hornady and somebody in production had forgotten to change the headstamp,same brass,different size flash hole

Rick.
    No wonder you're confused, I am too??

You bought a bag of Remmy brass and it was a standard size flash hole but stamped with a hornaday head stamp?

But then after looking on the net, you discovered that it was Remington that made the hornaday brass and the holes are now a different size?

How did the holes change size? What internet browser are you using? That is one strange occurance?? So let me get this correct, Remmy bag, hornaday head stamp, standard flash hole, look on internet, check the flash holes again and now there different size? how's that work? Beats me

Quote Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
    No wonder you're confused, I am too??

You bought a bag of Remmy brass and it was a standard size flash hole but stamped with a hornaday head stamp?

But then after looking on the net, you discovered that it was Remington that made the hornaday brass and the holes are now a different size?

How did the holes change size? What internet browser are you using? That is one strange occurance?? So let me get this correct, Remmy bag, hornaday head stamp, standard flash hole, look on internet, check the flash holes again and now there different size? how's that work? Beats me
    To ease the confusion.

Remmy make their brass with their own stamp and flash hole size.
    Remmy make hornady brass with a hornady stamp and hornady spec flash hole (slightly smaller)

The batch ric bought were run through as remmy brass (therefore remmy spec flash hole not hornady) but they hadn't had the remmy stamp put back in the machine. Essentially, the brass is the same bar head stamp and flash hole size.