Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder recommendations for 357 Mag

Powder recommendations for 357 Mag

Hi,

I used to reload a lot for handgun (back in the days… ) started reloading again, but for this time for the Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag.

I have been using GM Hard Cast 158g TC bullets from Henry Krank. The first powder I tried was Titegroup, seemed to be OK to start, then someone recommended Bullseye, wow, what a difference, tightened up the groups quite a bit.

Now I am curious to try some others, any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

6.5gr Unique. Bin shooting that since the late 1960s under 158gr SWC and I'm too old to change now.

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Try Lovex D032. It's very similar in performance to Bullseye, with less fouling, and as it is a ball powder it meters much more consistently. Somewhere around 2.9 - 3.3 grains for a low velocity target load, or if you want more grunt, around 4.3 - 4.5 grains is also a sweet spot in my 1894.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges

check out ba10. its not ideal, but there is data.
    - manufacturers data too.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

My marlin only likes TC bullits, the semi-wadcutters dont feed that well.
    At the moment I use 3.5grns of GM3, but I do have 4 kilos of it. i score an average 94/100 on 20 mtr range.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

3.9gns Trail Boss for 25 metres, gives me a sweet little group with little or no recoil.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

180gn TC bullet.

9.8gn Vectan SP3.

CCI primers (ordinary or magnum)

1.572oal.

For accuracy I sort the bullets by weight and size them (even though using commercially produced lead bullets that have already been sized.)

To speed things up, I sometimes skip the weighing part.

More accurate than any other load I've tried or seen. Works well out of my Marlin and out of S&W revolvers.

The downside is that it is quite a heavy load for target shooting. It is also quite expensive in terms of the amount of powder used.

However, if you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy and willing to accept the cost and recoil, this is the load.

We all use more or less the same at our club, approx 4gr of Vit N320 and 140gr TC lead bullet, basically cos that's what the club buys in.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Try Lovex D032. It's very similar in performance to Bullseye, with less fouling, and as it is a ball powder it meters much more consistently. Somewhere around 2.9 - 3.3 grains for a low velocity target load, or if you want more grunt, around 4.3 - 4.5 grains is also a sweet spot in my 1894.
    +1 to Lovex D032 (AA#2) I use 4.8gr in my Taurus.

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly
    I've also recently switched to D032. Early days yet but getting pretty good results with it.

For light Gallery Rifle loads in my Marlin I used to use 3.8gn of Red-Dot which was accurate, but dirty, ( as are most Alliant powders), so I switched to the same weight of Accurate#2. Much cleaner, but couldn't get the same level of accuracy, (even after trying several different loads).

Currently working up some loads with N320, and trying to find one that works in both my Marlin and my new LBR.... we'll find out this weekend if any of them work well...

HTH

Daryll

I shoot my 1894 at 20-25yds, and use 3.8gr Bullseye behind a 158gr TC (Hannams). More accurate than me
    Used to use RNFP, but find the TCs load into the rifle more smoothly.

I have tried FMJs with both Bullseye and Unique, but didn't feel I'd gained anything - just cost more!

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    I shoot my 1894 at 20-25yds, and use 3.8gr Bullseye behind a 158gr TC (Hannams). More accurate than me
    Used to use RNFP, but find the TCs load into the rifle more smoothly.

I have tried FMJs with both Bullseye and Unique, but didn't feel I'd gained anything - just cost more!
    The problem with GM Hardcast boolits is that they are too hard IMO and that consequently need a really pokey load to obdurate the boolit into the rifling.
    A much softer boolit that fits the rifle well will shoot very well with much lower loads. I make for my own use two cast boolits which work extremely well with 3.2gr Zero powder (similar burning rate to Bullseye and Viht 310). The first is a button nose 148gr wadcutter (H&G mould) and the second is a RNFP 158gr (Lee mould). The alloy is based on range lead (mainly from GM Hardcast) cut with an equal weight of scrap roof flashing or lead pipe from the local scrappy. A good boolit lube is helpful (I make my own).
    The boolits also work well with magnum loads and for that I would use Blue Dot or Viht 340.

i use 4.25gr of bullseye with gm hardcast .358 158gr rn-fp bullets.this has a velocity of about 1030fps and muzzle energy of 373ft/lbs.with this load i average about 95/96 out of 100 at 20 yards on the hendon league open sights comp

Thanks for the replies.

I have calling around all my local suppliers and I get the same response about Bullseye, it not available and no idea when it will be, if ever again.

So, to find something new, I have now got some Lovex D032 to try, lets see how that goes.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…