Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mark 2 webley service

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    What about the values were the barrels are replacements and how would you tell replacements would they be longer or shorter than the originals would the serial numbers not match
    Hi,

As you rightly surmise, the Ser No on the barrel should match that on the frame of the rifle. However, I believe if a barrel was replaced by Webley during the original manufacturing period, it would be supplied without a Ser No.

I have an third series Mk2 Service with a matched .25 barrel which has surprised me with its grouping given that .25 wouldn't normally be considered a target shooting calibre.

The John Knibbs replacements nearly always require some fettleing to make them fit the original guns.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    What about the values were the barrels are replacements and how would you tell replacements would they be longer or shorter than the originals would the serial numbers not match
    Even though they are correctly numbered to the rifle and all match in length and finish, I have been informed by someone more knowledgeable than I that two of the barrels in my cased set are quite possibly not of original Webley manufacture, although they all fit, cock and fire correctly.
    Apparently, it's the slight difference in the crown of the barrels that is the main giveaway. I bought the cased set many years ago in the early days of my collecting, in the belief that all were genuine Webley, and had no reason to doubt the seller, who may not even have been aware of the non original barrels himself. The cased set is still worth considerably more than I paid for it, but not quite as much as if it had all been genuine Webley
    I have seen and handled other replacement 'Service' barrels which are obviously replicas, but caution should be exercised, particularly when presented with multiple barreled sets. You really need a known genuine Webley produced barrel for comparison.

I would think you would have to pay between £450 - £650, as advised by a previous poster, for a really good 3rd. pattern Service rifle in either .22 or .177, although the latter calibre sometimes commands a small premium, and add at least £100 or more to those prices for an original .25 example. Boxed, cased and multibarreled examples cost considerably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

As you rightly surmise, the Ser No on the barrel should match that on the frame of the rifle. However, I believe if a barrel was replaced by Webley during the original manufacturing period, it would be supplied without a Ser No.

I have an third series Mk2 Service with a matched .25 barrel which has surprised me with its grouping given that .25 wouldn't normally be considered a target shooting calibre.

The John Knibbs replacements nearly always require some fettleing to make them fit the original guns.

Regards

Brian
    thanks You Brian, so lots to think on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Even though they are correctly numbered to the rifle and all match in length and finish, I have been informed by someone more knowledgeable than I that two of the barrels in my cased set are quite possibly not of original Webley manufacture, although they all fit, cock and fire correctly.
    Apparently, it's the slight difference in the crown of the barrels that is the main giveaway. I bought the cased set many years ago in the early days of my collecting, in the belief that all were genuine Webley, and had no reason to doubt the seller, who may not even have been aware of the non original barrels himself. The cased set is still worth considerably more than I paid for it, but not quite as much as if it had all been genuine Webley
    I have seen and handled other replacement 'Service' barrels which are obviously replicas, but caution should be exercised, particularly when presented with multiple barreled sets. You really need a known genuine Webley produced barrel for comparison.

I would think you would have to pay between £450 - £650, as advised by a previous poster, for a really good 3rd. pattern Service rifle in either .22 or .177, although the latter calibre sometimes commands a small premium, and add at least £100 or more to those prices for an original .25 example. Boxed, cased and multibarreled examples cost considerably more.
    thanks for the advice, by march I should have the requiste cash, allways wanted one and am having one for my 50th, thank you so much for the info , its most appreciated, thanks for all replies and the most informative info.

yes that is a nice one, just dont have the cash at moment, oh well I now have an idea what to look for, thanks for the link and the info guys.