Thread: Ensign Elite

Ensign Elite

reading fatman's thread on guns you always wanted , the old grey matter kicked into gear and i remember when i bought one of the above in the mid 80's. read about them for yonk's in airgun world but must say what a disappointment the gun turned out to be. seemed really well built but that was about it - came with a portable pump which was about as portable as carrying a shopping trolley and heavy , pumping up the cartridge for the pellet while on ya knee's was like levering up a rusty man-hole cover up and had to do that i don't know how many times just for one shot! first shot was then very disappointing as there seemed to be little on power on it - tried and tried shots but it was way behind the power on other guns (sharp ,airspoter,45 etc) . took it back to litts and they agreed , so exchanged for a hw177 and never looked back .

anyone else have one of these and your thoughts on them please.....

Yes, I have a few of them. A .177 and a .22.
    It's nice to shoot them but still looking for some more air cartridges.

If somebody is willing to sell a few cartridges please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    reading fatman's thread on guns you always wanted , the old grey matter kicked into gear and i remember when i bought one of the above in the mid 80's. read about them for yonk's in airgun world but must say what a disappointment the gun turned out to be. seemed really well built but that was about it - came with a portable pump which was about as portable as carrying a shopping trolley and heavy , pumping up the cartridge for the pellet while on ya knee's was like levering up a rusty man-hole cover up and had to do that i don't know how many times just for one shot! first shot was then very disappointing as there seemed to be little on power on it - tried and tried shots but it was way behind the power on other guns (sharp ,airspoter,45 etc) . took it back to litts and they agreed , so exchanged for a hw177 and never looked back .

anyone else have one of these and your thoughts on them please.....
    yes , I can remember Arthur Shepard spoke higley of them in AGW. I couldnt afford them then and when I could the bloody govt had banded the bloody things

I had one

Yes i owned one in the late eighties ,i bought it secondhand from the gun & sport in Exeter, And i loved it as it was like owning a centrefire rifle and yes your right the pump was cumbersome and hard work, could not help but laugh at your 'on the floor comment' as i remember doing that a lot ,x2 pumps per cartridge although i never chronoed the gun it was very powerfull and coupled up with bentley x6 scope/eley wasps it was the most accurate gun i had owned up to that time and accounted for some 50/60+ yard rabbits and a good old foot+ holdover, those were the days before i had even heard of a mil dots and made me feel like some long range sniper lol , i was only seventeen and only had springers before and was a bit green in the correct hold of them back then . I sometimes wonder where the gun is now as i sold it long before the nonsense ban and i would imagine its still floating around out there somewhere as some folks who own air guns casually for the odd shot from time to time probably would not even be aware of that stupid law sorry for that digression but i would have definitely tried to buy one again for my collection if they had not effectively banned them!
    Cheers Doug

two pumps ? i thought it was more than that doug - but it was a long time ago and a lot of ale as pickled my brain in the last 30 years.. what were they banned for?

two pumps ? i thought it was more than that doug - but it was a long time ago and a lot of ale as pickled my brain in the last 30 years.. what were they banned for?
    Fell into the Self Contained Air Cartridge Ban (Aka the Brocock Ban) when it transpired that certain herberts in the ghettos of the land had taken to drilling out the barrel of their .177 or .22 Brocock revolver and acquiring .38 Special ammo to fit...Ownership is still allowed, but transfer, sale, swap, manufacture and import are banned.
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint.

Hi ,Yes it was only two pumps on the big bench pump and more if you had the FAC cartridges and as to the ban as the gent answered below is correct, but i wonder how many criminals would go out with a Saxby and palmer rifle to commit a crime, utter rollocks and i wonder how many of the pistols were actually converted and not the manipulated figure the police gave and of course the criminals would have handed there's in after the ban....sorry just pee's me off as i miss the rifle a bit now

Some info I collected over the years.

I loved mine

I had the huge bench pump that needed 1 1/2 pumps for full power (used to blow off half way through the second pump ) most accurate air rifle I had ever owned up to then
    shot dozens of collared doves on the farm at about 50 yds I still have the 28 bore cartridge belt I used to wear I had about 60 of the cartidges and used to spend about an hour filling them after a session
    Px ed it for a saxby and palmer Herald and that WAS a bag of shite and had the slim jim pump that took about six or seven pumps wish I had kept the Elite

Yes I had one liked the gun nice looking pump massive cartridges size of 12 bores nice idea at the time but brake barrel springer lot easier

Had 2. Nice short light gun. Nice looks.

The air cartridge system was never either very reliable nor accurate. Just too many variables changed from cartridge to cartridge. I got quickly tired of fliers, and trying to take a shot from a cartiridge that had lost its charge. The metal ones were no improvement on the original plastics, just heavier. I really wanted them to be good and spent ages fiddling before deciding the flaws were inherent to both the concept and the manufacture.

Quiet even with a very simple silencer.

Two quirks I remember. The bolt only locked very lightly. If knocked when cocked it would fly open (fast), driven by the hammer spring, in the direction of your strong hand on the grip (and had sharp edges). So l learned to keep my thumb on top of the bolt handle when carrying it. And the things made a great big springy twang (with a lot of vibration) when fired.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    I had the huge bench pump that needed 1 1/2 pumps for full power (used to blow off half way through the second pump ) most accurate air rifle I had ever owned up to then
    shot dozens of collared doves on the farm at about 50 yds I still have the 28 bore cartridge belt I used to wear I had about 60 of the cartidges and used to spend about an hour filling them after a session
    Px ed it for a saxby and palmer Herald and that WAS a bag of shite and had the slim jim pump that took about six or seven pumps wish I had kept the Elite
    You had better luck than me.

Yes, the Herald was rubbish. A very expensive toy. Not only did it inherit the accuracy and reliability problems of the Elite, and charging was a pain, but the rounds would rattle around noisily in the magazine, and often the NATO bullets would fall out, causing a really lovely jam. They were far heavier than empty fullbore rounds, so the ejectors broke a lot. The rapid fire feature was useless because I was always worried where the expensive empties would fly off to on ejection, assuming they all actually went off in the first place.

Brocock later had a thing called I think a Safari which was a rather ugly single shot that used regular pellets and might have been the least bad of the lot. But by the time it came round, I'd given up on air cartridges, realising that my HW77 was both cheaper and much better at just about everything.