Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air arms sideleavers

air arms sideleavers

I have an Air Arms Woodsman in .22 and find it a powerfull accurate rifle in use, in the past have ownded the Jackal Parrabelum and the Hi- Power. Ok the early ones a re a bit rough here and there but a product of there time or a useable and effective rifle even today

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Hi I picked up a secondhand woodsman, did they originally have open sights, there is a hole just In front of the loading port that looks like the foresight could have been located there, if there was a rear sight would it have been located on the scope rail?
    I can't find any pictures showing a new complete one, if they did come with open sight does anyone have any they'd like to sell me?
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

I think early AA side levers had a three post front sight and a peep sight mounted at the back of the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    air arms sideleavers:
    I much prefer the front or back door myself.
    The house where I grew up had a side door, with an internal corridor from it leading to the kitchen, pantry and garage, referred to as the back passage. As children we were restricted to this door to prevent muddy boots wrecking carpets.
    These years of being ordered to "don't' get the carpet mucky, make sure you come in the back passage" are probably responsible for my distain of side entrance and exit. They certainly caused sniggers from my friends in teenage years.

Want List :
    HW55T - Found and I am now in love
    Pictures :

Quote Originally Posted by cptman View Post
    Hi I picked up a secondhand woodsman, did they originally have open sights, there is a hole just In front of the loading port that looks like the foresight could have been located there, if there was a rear sight would it have been located on the scope rail?
    I can't find any pictures showing a new complete one, if they did come with open sight does anyone have any they'd like to sell me?
    no the woosdman is basicly a ar7 fitted in to a wood stock, it never had open sights, it was designed to use optical sights only

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    no the woosdman is basicly a ar7 fitted in to a wood stock, it never had open sights, it was designed to use optical sights only
    Hi thanks for the info, I can give up looking for them now!
    Cheers,
    Cptman.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

aa woodsman

iirc open sights were optional extra hence not many about.And the front was a three post one and the rear as said a peep sight looked very similar to webley vulcan mk2 rear sight.It was fixed by a single screw into the hole at the very rear of cylinder giving maximum distance between front and rear for improved accuracy.The hole you mention near the loading tap may well have been a fixing point for a self load tube . the action on these were all the same just different stocks and barrel lenght of which is held in by a grub screw somewhere i beleive hth.

Quote Originally Posted by leostar View Post
    iirc open sights were optional extra hence not many about.And the front was a three post one and the rear as said a peep sight looked very similar to webley vulcan mk2 rear sight.It was fixed by a single screw into the hole at the very rear of cylinder giving maximum distance between front and rear for improved accuracy.The hole you mention near the loading tap may well have been a fixing point for a self load tube . the action on these were all the same just different stocks and barrel lenght of which is held in by a grub screw somewhere i beleive hth.
    the woodsman is a much earlier model, well before the autofeed on the firepower, good guns actually and lets be fair it went on to make Air Arms Crazy thing is I am not a big fan of the newer Air Arms designs like the TX or Pro Sport, and yes before any one says try them I have I have had A Prosport which I couldnt hold on target due to its f/t stock and the 40% use i have in my one hand and the TX I needed 3 hands and didnt like the fish scale finish The TX Sr series 1 I had was awesome, its now in the hands of Mr John Parry founder of Nelson Airgun club and my very good mate, it was sold has I needed to repair my car, and when money allows will be replaced with another SR series 1.

Pretty sure woodsman is same era it shares the same barrel as the ar7 which was autofeed could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by leostar View Post
    Pretty sure woodsman is same era it shares the same barrel as the ar7 which was autofeed could be wrong
    yes i could be wrong, memorey isnt has good has it was

S.A.L autoload

Leostone If your referring to the auto feed AR7 then that would be the S.A.L (short auto load) rifle which are ultra rare as I have all the original jackals air arms hi power firepowers and even a AA Rapide but have never even seen a SAL autoload ,great guns through and put some of modern stuff to shame.

Refer to www.jackals-lair.com dear chaps

Lots of old mags/adverts on their showing all the range from 1977 onwards

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Refer to www.jackals-lair.com dear chaps

Lots of old mags/adverts on their showing all the range from 1977 onwards

Matty
    Thanks Matty, now I wont all of them
    you rotter

Quote Originally Posted by douglas hatcher View Post
    Leostone If your referring to the auto feed AR7 then that would be the S.A.L (short auto load) rifle which are ultra rare as I have all the original jackals air arms hi power firepowers and even a AA Rapide but have never even seen a SAL autoload ,great guns through and put some of modern stuff to shame.
    100%, question if I may, are the barrels on these and my woodsman Lother Walther, I read somewhere that some of the early ones were Hammerli I have an Hammerli model 2 in .177, I got from Slug Gun, Chris Thrale and thats like a match rifle has to accuracey, its not powerful but its a joy to use.

100%, question if I may, are the barrels on these and my woodsman Lother Walther, I read somewhere that some of the early ones were Hammerli I have an Hammerli model 2 in .177, I got from Slug Gun, Chris Thrale and thats like a match rifle has to accuracey, its not powerful but its a joy to use.
    Hi Fattman sorry for late reply ,I think the hammerli barrel was used in the early sussex armoury Parabellum ,I have one in .22 and it shoots very tight groups but then all the air air arms side levers I have shoot accurately.