Thread: webley eclipse 2 and omega

webley eclipse 2 and omega

What are these rifles like?
    Power wise, weight/balance wise..
    Whats their firing cycle like? And their trigger?
    Omega looks a lot like a little Patriot. And the Elipse also seems to have similar Patriot trigger and rear end.

Still looking for a nice webley addition for some indoor shooting.
    Indoor, so short range, so max power isnt relevant (or wished).
    ATB,
    yana

Good guns

If you like FWB Sports, you'll like the Omega. Not quite FWB build quality but a proper Brum Webley, with some detail improvements over the FWB(better safety, barrel lock).

Eclipse is just a bit funny looking, though I suspect it's really a good gun.

Both came out too late and at too high a price to succeed against HW's in the mid-late 80s market. Omega in 1984 was a flop. In 1982 it would have been a big seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If you like FWB Sports, you'll like the Omega. Not quite FWB build quality but a proper Brum Webley, with some detail improvements over the FWB(better safety, barrel lock).

Eclipse is just a bit funny looking, though I suspect it's really a good gun.

Both came out too late and at too high a price to succeed against HW's in the mid-late 80s market. Omega in 1984 was a flop. In 1982 it would have been a big seller.
    Have to say I like the Omega, mines in .177 and is a rarer carbine model. Its a bitza in looks, the barrel lock is straight fom an Anschutz 335 for example. Mine was bought a few years back has its from a time when I was out of the sport. Ok its not an HW but its to my mind one of the best of old Webley The Eclipse I cant really comment on has its a rifle I have shoot only a few times , build quality was ok, it was very light and if I remeber was made from an alloy rather than the usuall materials.

The Omega is a good gun especially in .22.
    Not very exciting but it works well.

Avoid the Eclipse.
    Especially if it has been worked on.
    Fragile and not very good.
    If the wrong spring has been put in (and they usually are ) it can be very unpleasant to cock and shoot and will destroy itself.

I've had a Webley Omega .22 for about a year now though I reckon it's about 25 years old. Build quality is good, despite it's age everything is tight and functions correctly eg the barrel lock and safety catch, trigger is 2 stage and compared to a PCP feels relatively violent when fired!

It's not particularly heavy, similar to my AA S510 and S400 and definitely lighter than many modern guns eg HW100.

It's delivering 10.9 ftlb and in my view consistently accurate, certainly up to 45 yards, but very hold sensitive - so use the lightest possible hold (think artillery hold), lightest possible contact between cheek and butt, and follow through on the trigger. Do that and it'll hit the target consistently, don't and it'll miss consistently . Put it another way, the gun's as accurate as the shooter
    Don't just do something - SIT THERE!

Brum stingray might also be an option. But those are rare too these days..
    Looks like the Eclipse doesnt have many followers here?
    ATB,
    yana

Both not bad efforts

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    The Omega is a good gun especially in .22.
    Not very exciting but it works well.

Avoid the Eclipse.
    Especially if it has been worked on.
    Fragile and not very good.
    If the wrong spring has been put in (and they usually are ) it can be very unpleasant to cock and shoot and will destroy itself.
    A little harsh on the Omega although I understand what you mean although I've just bought a .22 Omega carbine that is an absolute gem: light, accurate and high quality. The Eclipse, yes, very unpleasant if its been 'tuned' poorly. I've rebuilt 6 of them and the issues mainly stem from the use of alloy for the compression tube and the lack of weight during the firing cycle. I've 3 of them and all 3 feel completely different to shoot, and I really mean completely different. The Chambers tuning kit helps although to be fair machining custom buttons and guides of differing weights along with careful spring choice was the answer. They are one of the most difficult guns to consistently tune as what works on one doesn't necessarily work with others.

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    Its a bitza in looks, the barrel lock is straight fom an Anschutz 335 for example.
    Strangely enough there was an Anschutz 335 in the Wallis & Wallis auction when Webley went bust. There was also a FWB Sport. Has anyone else noticed the scope arrestor grooves on the Omega/Eclipse look very similar to those on a 'Sport?

The Omega is one of the best, if not the best, rifle produced by Webley, yes, IMO better than the Mark 3 and Service. In my experience the Eclipe cylinder, being made of alloy (?) is susceptible to power fluctuations due to weather/temp changes.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Strangely enough there was an Anschutz 335 in the Wallis & Wallis auction when Webley went bust. There was also a FWB Sport. Has anyone else noticed the scope arrestor grooves on the Omega/Eclipse look very similar to those on a 'Sport?

The Omega is one of the best, if not the best, rifle produced by Webley, yes, IMO better than the Mark 3 and Service. In my experience the Eclipe cylinder, being made of alloy (?) is susceptible to power fluctuations due to weather/temp changes.

HTH
    Ian
    yes they do ian, to me it is undoubtably one of the best from Webley. At the moment my fave is my .22 Tomahawk in sub 12 ft/lbs set up

I didnt mean to be churlish about the Omega Kurt.
    It is a very pleasant shooter in .22 and a favourite Webley of mine.
    Just quietly gets on with the job.

yes they do ian, to me it is undoubtably one of the best from Webley. At the moment my fave is my .22 Tomahawk in sub 12 ft/lbs set up
    Not owning and not having shot a Tomahawk for any length of time, I'm reluctant to comment on its performance. The B/ham Longbow (I was given minus stock - then a stock given by one of our club members ) is a nice rifle to shoot but I.M.O. it doesn't have the character of the Omega. I have, in my collection, the prototype Omega and an adjustable gas ram model. Now that IS nice to shoot.

ATB
    Ian

Not owning and not having shot a Tomahawk for any length of time, I'm reluctant to comment on its performance. The B/ham Longbow (I was given minus stock - then a stock given by one of our club members ) is a nice rifle to shoot but I.M.O. it doesn't have the character of the Omega. I have, in my collection, the prototype Omega and an adjustable gas ram model. Now that IS nice to shoot.

ATB
    Ian
    yes I would love to shoot that gas ram Omega of yours one day, and if youre ever in the area your most wellcome to try my Tomahawk, its is truley an awesome rifle(after some surgery by mr Will Gerke aka Welsh Willi) .

yes I would love to shoot that gas ram Omega of yours one day, and if youre ever in the area your most wellcome to try my Tomahawk, its is truley an awesome rifle(after some surgery by mr Will Gerke aka Welsh Willi) .
    Im sure or paths will cross, maybe next year, and we will be able to compare these rifles and others.

ATB
    Ian

Im sure or paths will cross, maybe next year, and we will be able to compare these rifles and others.

ATB
    Ian
    that would be good . atb