Thread: Hornet V-max needed

Hornet V-max needed

A bit cheeky, but do any of you gents know of an RFD with Hornet 35gn V-max bullets in stock ?

otherwise I'll be forced to buy another box of factory ammo

According to Hornady's latest production list, they're back making them so it should be pretty soon that we start seeing them... say 3 to 4 years time. I'm down to my last half box having cleaned out my local earlier this year.

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    I've got a box of 35gn Hornet Vmax and a box of 45gn Hornet Vmax that are surplus to requirements if you know anyone passing J8 on the M5?

They'll both be 2012 vintage, so you can have them for whatever price is on the boxes - I'll check in a few minutes.

I've got a load of S&B new brass too, plus a couple of hundred Federal & Winchester once fired cases and a few hundred magnum pistol primers I've no use for now I'm finally selling my .22 Hornet.

Adam.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

angrybear - they are in very short supply, I've been getting away with reloading using Hornady V-max 40gr. They are a little longer than the true Hornet 35gr. but they work fine in my CZ. I can give you the specs. if you want.

aj leamon lists .224 35g Vmax on his web site.
    If that's the right ones?
    http://ajleamon.co.uk/shop/?product=224cal-35g-v-max

Those are the right ones, I'd have some as well, trouble is you can't get them by post. Bit of a daft rule I think, you can order FMJ bullets but not expanding ones, I don't see the point.

Hornady 45 grain Hornet V-Max

Typical, as a friend of mine has 85 of these that he no longer needs, but they're located in Lincoln.
    He also had / has a box of 34 grain dog towns (500 box, but a few shot, not sure how many), but again given the FTF requirements, unless you going up north....

You could do an RFD to RFD transfer, if you buy enough could justify the fees.

Saw on my email that you tried to reply to my PM AB, cleared some space now.
    Thanks for looking

Was just to thank you for the PM info, alas not really cost effective to visit them.

Thought it may be, my local RFD has ordered some for me, if he does manage to get hold of any I'll let you know Exeter to Devizes is not too bad.
    Thanks for looking

I got some Nosler 40gr. flat bottomed. tipped yesterday, they measure the same as the 40gr. Hornady V-Max (0.678"), quite a bit longer than the 35gr. (0.514") but they seemed to seat fine o.a.l. 1.783 which just fits in the magazine and has plenty of clearance from the lands so I'm just off out to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    I got some Nosler 40gr. flat bottomed. tipped yesterday, they measure the same as the 40gr. Hornady V-Max (0.678"), quite a bit longer than the 35gr. (0.514") but they seemed to seat fine o.a.l. 1.783 which just fits in the magazine and has plenty of clearance from the lands so I'm just off out to try them.
    Which Rifle Bud?
    Thanks for looking

CZ 527, .22 Hornet. The Nosler bullets did quite well with Hodgdon H110, loads from 10gr. to 11gr. in .2 gr. increments. The were better than the same loads with Hornady V-Max bullets and at least an inch difference in POI. between the Nosler and Hornady.

Now, if i can find some shorter Hornet bullets I can start testing all over again !

Everyone I've spoken to about alternatives has suggested trying Midway Dogtown 34 grn, I've gt 250ish VMax to get through once I pick the rifle up Saturday
    Last edited by 223AI; 18-11-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Thanks for looking

I had a friend pick up a box of 500 of these for his hornet, shooting not too bad and reasonably priced. A shame these cant be posted either