Thread: Airsporter MK1 repair

Airsporter MK1 repair

I am slowly resurrecting an Airsporter MK1, GB16962 which puts it firmly at 1958 (I believe). There could be a number '7' after that sequence but I doubt it and think it is more likely just a faint scratch. Does anyone know how many MK1s were made?

The rifle was in a sorry state but I think the action is back in operating condition. The piston was vey tight in the cylinder due to accumulated crud but surprisingly the leather washer seems OK. I was fully prepared to make a tool to remove it and them make a new washer but now hope that is not needed. No stock bolt though but a quick inspection convinced me the thread was 5/16 Whitworth and a new one was made from a 5/16 Whit coach bolt, head end cut off and a new slot head fitted. It which fits very well.
    Trigger spring was a very clear home made jobby and it completely 'threw me' to begin with. It only had one operational arm and more kinks and bends than spaghetti junction. All my attempts to make and fit a new spring with two legs in the same orientation failed ... yes, I know, senior moments! Then I realised that the first spring had been 'fitted' back to front as a mirror image of what it should be. A short while later a new spring was made and fitted ... all's well.
    No rearsight though so I guess that is another project as they seem quite rare.
    The stock needs attention as both forend arms have come off at the hand/pistol grip. At best there is about a 3mm thickness of timber, tapering to about 1mm, spread over an area of about 3cm x 2cm. I am now wondering how best to attempt a repair. One arm is currently drying from being glued back into place. I will do the other tomorrow. But I doubt this will be strong enough to withstand a cocking force .. might do, but I suspect not. I cannot see any way of strengthening the joints from inside the action so am wondering if a couple of maybe 3 or 4mm dowels through the pistol grip would help. I have never tried this before ... somehow I think screws would be far more difficult to hide! Has anyone made such a repair, and if so, how did you do it? Maybe more to the point, did it work and survive the cocking action?

Life is so much fun in Collectables revival.

Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil,

I think that you are correct with the date, as my Dad bought GB16190 around 1958, which I still own, and has never been apart yet. The rear sights come up on the auction sight but sometimes realise a good price. Try on here in the collectors corner as I am sure some one will have one kicking about for a reasonable price. I have just paid £20 for a Mk2 rear sight which I thought was cheap.

Good luck with the restoration and please post some picks when completed.

Dean.
    BASC

Stock Restoration

Hi Phil, I have made and fitted two complete new fore ends to my mk2. I found that the secret [other than getting the tapers right on the new fore ends ] is to pin the joints with panel pins to allow pressure to be applied to the joint.The pins can then be cut off and sanded smooth. There is little to worry about cocking breaking the joint, all the pressure is taken on the action. Dont forget to leave the fore ends oversize so that you can remove wood to fit to the action. The repair I have made has lasted about 10 years with light usage. Best of luck with the project.Regards, Daveh
    PS Similar Rear sights may be available on "Track of the Wolf" site but Ihave no experience of them. Others may have used them and I am sure will comment.D
    Last edited by daveh; 19-09-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Additional info
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi Phil, I have made and fitted two complete new fore ends to my mk2. I found that the secret [other than getting the tapers right on the new fore ends ] is to pin the joints with panel pins to allow pressure to be applied to the joint.The pins can then be cut off and sanded smooth. There is little to worry about cocking breaking the joint, all the pressure is taken on the action. Dont forget to leave the fore ends oversize so that you can remove wood to fit to the action. The repair I have made has lasted about 10 years with light usage. Best of luck with the project.Regards, Daveh
    PS Similar Rear sights may be available on "Track of the Wolf" site but Ihave no experience of them. Others may have used them and I am sure will comment.D
    I seem to recall someone saying that the rearsight they purchased from ToTW had a different sized dovetail.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Thanks for the encouragement DaveH ... the first arm semed very solid this morning when I removed the clamp so the second arm is now glued and clamped in position. I am still musing over extra support for the joins ... any leverage is going to be parallel to the glued join, downwards with the action uppermost. Maybe a couple of pins as you say.

while that is going on, the next project is a Webley Jaguar, terrible condition with old bolts holding it together ... could have been worse though ... might have been self tappers.

Cheers, Phil

Repro' MK1 rear sight available here if you don't already know,but pricey!

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...rt-No.-16-598/

ATB.