Thread: Pocket sharpener.

Pocket sharpener.

Hello gents, I need a pocket sharpener for small knives, any suggestions?, thanks for your help.
    "Never push your Granny while she's shaving"

I use a Gerber one.
    Blade tech are also quite compact.

I have a DC3
    Great for a quick swipe over in the field.
    I'd avoid any of these V shaped jobbies that you pull the blade through.....nasty wee things!

http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...sharpeners/dc3
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....

I'd avoid the BladeTech sharpeners, they are very aggressive and will happily take chunks out of an edge.

Pull through ceramic sharpeners can be similarly aggressive. However, if you limit yourself to using the fine ceramic type and only give the edge a couple of light passes they can be handy. You are limited to the angle at which the rods are set. Best of the lot is probably the Lansky Mini Crock Stick (about £5).

Fallkniven DC4 is my preferred option. Its a small diamond/ceramic stone (about 4x 1.5"). Some sharpening ability required, but it does a good job (£15). There's an even smaller version DC3 which is ok for very small blades. [Edit: Should have typed faster, see above].

+1 on the DC4. I have yet to use a sharpener that gets my knives as sharpe as one of these, including expensive "semi-guided" sharpeners. Plus there is something satisfying about sharpening free-hand

Are these DC sharpeners only mail order or do gun shops or others sell them ?
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I use a small arkansis wet stone sometimes known as a Buck stone they are about 4inches x 2 inches and weigh next to nothing and cost about a fiver from heinni haynes ect, avoid the V sharpener thingies as the ruin good blades and dont put a workable edge on for field dressing stuff anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Are these DC sharpeners only mail order or do gun shops or others sell them ?
    I have seen them in shops but not often.

Item #301120395714 on the bay, £14.95 delivered, may be available cheaper but that was the first one I found. HTH

trend sell diamond stones used to sharpen router bits, great for knifes, just clean off the metal swarf with an eraser to keep it in tip top condition

Another vote for the DC4 here. Have owned one for years and it's still performs flawlessly. It's compact but you can tackle fairly large blades with it. I can't remember the last time I used the diamond side: the ceramic face is usually good enough (light strokes work best). You can also pop a small bit of cut leather into the case as a strop (or just use the case itself). An occasional quick wipe down with some soapy water keeps it looking like new. It won't give you a polished mirror finish but it's an ideal field sharpener.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 15-09-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    I'd avoid the BladeTech sharpeners, they are very aggressive and will happily take chunks out of an edge.

Pull through ceramic sharpeners can be similarly aggressive. However, if you limit yourself to using the fine ceramic type and only give the edge a couple of light passes they can be handy. You are limited to the angle at which the rods are set. ]].
    Good advice,
    I mentioned the Bladetech as they are quite small and the O.P mentioned small knives.
    I must admit though,, I have never used one myself.
    The DC4 looks good.

Diamond dust needle files in Aldi?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Diamond dust needle files in Aldi?
    They are a bit agressive, go for the DC3 or 4 from Fallkniven, & as a supplier Heinnie Haynes is highly recommended.
    Diamond dust on one side & a really fine whetstone on the other.

http://www.heinnie.com/fallkniven-kn...dc4-whetstones

Sooner or later you just have to sharpen that knife properly.

Thanks boys.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, think I will try the DC4, sounds like what I need, cheers.
    "Never push your Granny while she's shaving"

Just popping into to say I was looking for a small sharpener for the field and when I don't want to go to the trouble of soaking my kitchen stone and using that.
    Checked out the DC4 and thought why not.

Ordered from Heinnie on the 17th at 10:05 and the postman delivered it at some point around 9:00 the next day. That was on their standard £2 posting option.

That's some damn fast service!

Simon