Thread: Shroud or silencer

Shroud or silencer

Hi All,

I'm after you thoughts please. I have a BSA R-10mk2 VC and I'm wondering about putting on a Huub Shroud. It will cost the best part of £100, and so began the thinking of "why would I?"

What are the benefits of a shroud?
    Is it just a cosmetic thing?

Any of you that have made the swop, maybe you could let me know why you did?
    Thanks
    Mart
    BSA R10 Mk2 .177 V Discovery Hi 4-16 x 44 SF IR
    AA S510 .177 Konus 4-16x44 SF IR
    Walther RM8 .22 Hawke 4-12 x 50 AO IR

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Hiya Mart, well I went the other way, I removed the shroud from my Mk2 and shot it with, and without a moderator.

The barrel finishes some 4" short of the shroud inside the tube. It has several sprung baffles inside it which do suppress the noise somewhat. However, shooting the gun with just the shroud fitted, and no moderator, isn't really an option as it still has quite a loud "crack" to it. Shooting the gun with the bare barrel and no moderator, it is "really loud" as I'm sure you will have tried.

The best solution I found, was to have the standard shroud shortened by about 4", so that it sits flush with the end of the barrel, with just the thread poking out. You then fit your moderator directly onto the barrel thread, making your gun some 4" shorter, making it much more compact, but still nice and quiet. All you can hear is the twang of the spring when you pull the trigger.

I have used an R10 with the Huub shroud, and although good, it isn't as quiet as the setup I used.

I have some pics somewhere of what it looks like, I will post them for you later.
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurve View Post

The best solution I found, was to have the standard shroud shortened by about 4", so that it sits flush with the end of the barrel, with just the thread poking out. You then fit your moderator directly onto the barrel thread, making your gun some 4" shorter, making it much more compact, but still nice and quiet. All you can hear is the twang of the spring when you pull the trigger.

I have some pics somewhere of what it looks like, I will post them for you later.
    Would you mind posting the pictures to me as well, as this is the setup I'm favouring.

Thanks
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Here are some pics of my setup

As you can see, the gun is a lot shorter when the shroud has been shortened.

The moderator by the way, is a "Swift stumpy" highly recommended.

Cannot see the point putting a shroud on a R10 vc with treaded barrel,I just put a Hugget silencer on mine looks better and quieter

Hiya Mart, well I went the other way, I removed the shroud from my Mk2 and shot it with, and without a moderator.

The barrel finishes some 4" short of the shroud inside the tube. It has several sprung baffles inside it which do suppress the noise somewhat. However, shooting the gun with just the shroud fitted, and no moderator, isn't really an option as it still has quite a loud "crack" to it. Shooting the gun with the bare barrel and no moderator, it is "really loud" as I'm sure you will have tried.

I have used an R10 with the Huub shroud, and although good, it isn't as quiet as the setup I used.

A bit surprising that a Huub shroud is not as quiet as a silencer. I made a smaller diameter copy and it is more or less on par with my HW moderator. The point in these aftermarket shrouds is that they are some 2" shorter than a silencer while still providing the same sound reduction. Then there's of course the looks for those who prefer it.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Quote Originally Posted by MARSH View Post
    Cannot see the point putting a shroud on a R10 vc with treaded barrel,I just put a Hugget silencer on mine looks better and quieter
    The shroud is there so it doesn't look like you have a piece of string linking your moderator to your action

Shrouds on PCPs where originally brought in to cater for our fellow export air gunning customers across the pond, from what I've been told a silencer for any weapon must be purchased in the same way a firearm is (licensed application in some states), however a shroud if already attached to a legal powered airgun can be bought without the technicality of a licence. This is one reason why hugget shrouds do so well in USA.

Having a shroud fitted to a airgun allows a owner of said rifle to effectively turn the shroud into a moderator, I don't think it's legal In the USA to turn a shroud into a silencer, I'm not saying its not being done either. Most FAC shrouded weapons come with longer shrouds to allow for more baffles to make the rifles quieter. For example R10 export models have longer shrouds, HW100 fsbs have longer shrouds.

The UK versions of these shrouds do nothing to quieten the rifles effectively, infact are purely there for cosmetics. A Huub shroud is designed to quieten the rifle. Most aftermarket shrouds still need selencers.

I do have a full length bull barrel S10, shoots pretty quiet (like a mouse farting) now that I've changed the baffles, the volume of space within the shroud allows the air to be dispersed quietly, a small silencer or shroud with less volume struggles to do this. The new huggeT bellita has a smaller volume than say the weihrauch or the vc moderator, i think the Belitta must be designed to work inline with the hugget back venting shroud (it works wonders on daystates allready fitted with hugget shrouds)so if you stick one on a non shrouded barrel like a r10 or ultra do not expect great results (it works but just not as effective).

The new air arms silencer is larger than the weihrauch moderator but when I tested it on my decibel meter I found the weihrauch moderator to out perform the air arms unit on price and report. Lloyd at bar has review on YouTube of the new air arms moderator.

There are a few aftermarket shrouds available and can cost upwards of £100. I can't understand why someone would buy a R10 without the shroud buying a shrouded R10 allows the owner to remove the shroud at a later date and fit a silencer that can be bought for £30-£40 new. the new R10 barrels are already threaded beneath that shroud, well at least mine was and it came with a Ultra barrel.

Tinbum on here and on the other forums including the evil bay does a great cheap alternative to a after market shroud and it's pretty quiet when I tested it. It's not as good as a dedicated silencer but does the job.

ATB
    Ray
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggsmakaveli View Post
    There are a few aftermarket shrouds available and can cost upwards of £100. I can't understand why someone would buy a R10 without the shroud buying a shrouded R10 allows the owner to remove the shroud at a later date and fit a silencer that can be bought for £30-£40 new. the new R10 barrels are already threaded beneath that shroud, well at least mine was and it came with a Ultra barrel.

ATB
    Ray
    Ray, the American market thing explains a lot. I bought my R10 VC as standard, without a shroud - no choice! I think that I'd rather spend my money on an XTX service or similar. Thanks
    BSA R10 Mk2 .177 V Discovery Hi 4-16 x 44 SF IR
    AA S510 .177 Konus 4-16x44 SF IR
    Walther RM8 .22 Hawke 4-12 x 50 AO IR

Tinbum on here and on the other forums including the evil bay does a great cheap alternative to a after market shroud and it's pretty quiet when I tested it. It's not as good as a dedicated silencer but does the job.

ATB
    Ray
    I think its because if you buy the VC you get a silencer, if your only going to remove the shroud you may as well save yourself the cash of the silencer

But you have to spend half an hour shaking out all the giingsters pasty flakes as he eats them while making anything, think its the law in Cornwall or something!

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    A bit surprising that a Huub shroud is not as quiet as a silencer. I made a smaller diameter copy and it is more or less on par with my HW moderator. The point in these aftermarket shrouds is that they are some 2" shorter than a silencer while still providing the same sound reduction. Then there's of course the looks for those who prefer it.
    I have a huub shroud on mine, no meters used etc but everyone who has used it has said its like a mouse farting, its more then quiet enough for most people, only if the rabbit has his head on the other side of your stock when your shooting will he hear the action!

I found that you had to play around with the baffles to get the best, I think I used a full coil, the one cut in half to give me a three chamber baffles, and it works extremely well IMO. But perhaps the one you shot he just stuck two full lengths in which I didn't find the best solution.

Oh and the huub looks good on as well, so you just have one same size shroud rather then it tapering when it reached the silencer.
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Quote Originally Posted by shining_bullet View Post

But you have to spend half an hour shaking out all the giingsters pasty flakes as he eats them while making anything, think its the law in Cornwall or something!
    No don't do that the Cornish pastry flakes are a design feature, they work along side the felt wadding and decrease the report a fraction more

Next time I have a Cornish pasty I'll put some flames aside for you to replace the ones you've lost, but you'll have to collect I don't trust the postman with them

I can understand you get a VC moderator with the VC model R10 but look at it this way, knibbs sells the shrouds for £90 and a VC mod costs £40, why not buy the shrouded version, sell the shroud and buy a moderator and make yourself £50.

No don't do that the Cornish pastry flakes are a design feature, they work along side the felt wadding and decrease the report a fraction more

Next time I have a Cornish pasty I'll put some flames aside for you to replace the ones you've lost, but you'll have to collect I don't trust the postman with them

I can understand you get a VC moderator with the VC model R10 but look at it this way, knibbs sells the shrouds for £90 and a VC mod costs £40, why not buy the shrouded version, sell the shroud and buy a moderator and make yourself £50.
    Thanks for the offer but I find the smell of the pasty flakes rather distracting when shooting

I see your point about the VC but how much do you think you would get for the shroud second hand? I imagine if you need to post it to someone you will barely get enough to cover the silencer cost.
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Quote Originally Posted by shining_bullet View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I find the smell of the pasty flakes rather distracting when shooting

I see your point about the VC but how much do you think you would get for the shroud second hand? I imagine if you need to post it to someone you will barely get enough to cover the silencer cost.
    enough for a cup of tea to go with your pasty