Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon Photon, what's wrong ?

Yukon Photon, what's wrong ?

Hi chaps has anybody got any experience with a "Yukon Photon" scope, I was considering buying one so I went on the "bay" to find out if any second hand ones were available and one particular scope on there was £285 !!!

Now keep in mind this scope is £400 new and it was only three weeks old, that's a hell of a loss !...

So my question is, is there something wrong with them that we should but don't know about ?

For example do they break easily or are they crap at the job they were designed to do ?

Any views would be appreciated !...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 11-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.

You might get a better response in the NV section, but from what I have read some people find the reticle too thick to be accurate enough, especially for airgun use and I've also read complaints that the daylight performance is pretty poor.
    But the main complaint seems to be that they need a lot of illumination, so maybe the seller doesn't know that & just thinks it's c*ap.

Having said that there are people who rave about how good they are so "horses for courses" as they say.

Think I'll stick to the "ole" scope mounted lamp then, not prepared to spend £400 (I would have bought new) to then have to spend Christ knows how much more on extra illuminators and stuff for it !...

Cheers buddy !...

That's pretty much it really,still getting to grips with mine plenty of people with tips for using them.I don't bother with it for day use & i find the reticle fine i think its getting on with the digital image that may put some off.

I got a yukon photon on my lr and apart from coming with a crap ir i cant really fault it.
    Get a aftermarket ir torch and they are good for 150 yrd .

Don't dismiss it entirely. As a package it is a great little unit let down mainly by the near eye display which is poor. Personally i quite like the reticule. If it cost another £100 with a better display then it would be twice as good.
    Last edited by Norfolkngood; 11-09-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Thanks for the views lads !...

hello

i have just been ratting and find my photon very good just needs getting use to using and put a cap on the front with a 25mm hole, for much better clarity, i dont use extra IR for air rifle, but a good T20 with IR led for extra distance. had mine about a year and no probs, yukons warranty is good.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Think I'll stick to the "ole" scope mounted lamp then, not prepared to spend £400 (I would have bought new) to then have to spend Christ knows how much more on extra illuminators and stuff for it !...

Cheers buddy !...
    Most NV will need extra IR to be of any use.

NV is a totally different world to using a lamp, you will be amazed at what you can see which would have buggered off at the first sign of a lamp

Alan.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've got the Pulsar n500 and I aquired a yukon with another rifle I bought. The two don't compare in terms of image or reticle quality (you can change the ret on the N500). As said the Yukon is poor in daylight. At airgun ranges I don't require an additional IR with the Pulsar, although I will sometimes place one remotely from the rifle to illuminate a specific area when ratting. The Yukon I use one on the scope all the time.

The only advantages I can find for the Yukon are price, weight, and only requires two batteries. It's a cheap inroad to the world of NV, but I personally wouldn't buy another.

Dave

Hi chaps has anybody got any experience with a "Yukon Photon" scope, I was considering buying one so I went on the "bay" to find out if any second hand ones were available and one particular scope on there was £285 !!!

Now keep in mind this scope is £400 new and it was only three weeks old, that's a hell of a loss !...

So my question is, is there something wrong with them that we should but don't know about ?

For example do they break easily or are they crap at the job they were designed to do ?

Having owned one my view is that they are awful, a view not shared by some on here.

I've lamped and got a photon, I think the photon is a great device for the price, as said with a 25mm iris and a cheapish ir I can see rabbits and foxes easily or to 100+.

Rabbits at 30 yards are easy to see and shoot, so I can see why they get bad reviews, I got mine of the bay been out ratting with it, no problem.

The red dot is spot on between day and night on mine although some have reported otherwise needing a slight rezero.

As a day scope it's obviously grey scale but acceptable with in hunting ranges but would obviously opt for a standard scope for general shooting, but low light it's great.

It's obviously not gen 2 but within normal airgun ranges who cares, within 30 yards if i can see it I can shoot it, whether gen 1/2/3 or photon.

Save the money get a 2nd hand one from a good seller, buy a ir torch and a 25mm oil gasket that fits on the end a great set up all round, no issue with build just don't drop a brick on it and you should be good to go.

Atb

Used one to great effect on rabbits...in daylight too.
    Sold it on ...only because i will no longer be able to use it anymore due to new job commitments.
    Good kit... if you need cheap effective NV on an air rifle....Superb on a silenced Rapid .177.
    No complaints from me......a fair few rabbits would ...if they could..
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

For the money the Photon is a good VFM piece of kit. The on board IR is ok for short stuff but but it makes the image in the eyepiece sparkly.

At range this is not helpful. However a Marky light torch with an IR LED will change things totally.

Bearing in mind you will probably loose the VAT on one your into £333 so it isn't too far from £285.

Ask the user if there are any issues. Ask for the serial number and contact the company to see where it was sold through and if it has been back for warranty.

Also a £16 quid reversing camera screen from plugged into the video out gives a much better resolution image so you can double check quarry before you squeeze the trigger. On the TV screen the image is amazing.

The unit has two issues for me - firstly I don't like the ret - I prefer ladder rets so you know what to aim at for distances that are not on zero distance. the dot is OK but the dot size can make it difficult to zero at 100 on a rimmie HMR.

The other issue is the little tv screen in the eye piece does not have the resolution to show the CCD image as good as it can. High def video eye piece screens are pricey and this is not pricey bit of kit if you compare to some of the other digital or even tubed scopes and it is a very capable unit. So its the eyepiece that holds it back.

Get the IR LED torch and you will be stunned how differently this performs.

I am never keen buying stuff off the net though.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!
    Nothing wrong with mine

This is fitted with a doubler and no lens cap or filter.

I see on the pics there is a bright area, must be the way it works when taking a picture through a lens, you don't see it with the eye. Also, the image seems to have picked the lines up a little, which I can't see when looking through the scope.

So here goes.

from where I was sitting to the subject I was aiming at

the tv areal, remember I haven't focussed as I done this in a rush

I just took a few as they all came out different as I was trying to hold the phone to the scope

you can get a sharper image, but seriously, what is the issue here?

I can make that shaper by focussing properly.

Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical