Thread: 12 guage cartridges

12 guage cartridges

Hi all,
    I am new to shotgun shooting and am thinking about getting into loading my own cartridges, apart from having to get an explosives licence, is it worth it in the long run.#
    I know I would be able to set up my own carts., but is it a financial benefit.
    Any info will be gladly received.
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

You do not need an explosives license for nitro powders only black powder.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to shotgun shooting and am thinking about getting into loading my own cartridges, apart from having to get an explosives licence, is it worth it in the long run.#
    If you are planning to load with nitro powder then you need no explosives licence. The money saving is not all that great unless you shoot a lot of carts, and have a lot of time to reload them.

If you are planning to load Black Powder cartridges, then you will need an explosives licence - the money saving is much greater as BP carts are relatively expensive and hard to find.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    Hi all,

No financial benifit at all. Just the ability to load exactly what you want.

As a newcomer I would suggest you stick to factory ammunition for a couple of years, see where the sport takes you then maybe consider it.

Rifle reloading is addictive once you get into it, it is also cost effective. There is so much competition in 12 bore shells that prices are (or were last time I looked) driven down to below what you can reload for.

A

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..
    Hi,

There's no financial benefit to reload bird shot. I do practical shotgun and get through 300-350 carts a day. It's still cheaper to buy it. Buck shot and solid slug ( if you have it on your FAC ) is allot cheaper to reload.

Vasbyt
    Gas operative extraordinaire

only 20 /28 & 410 are cheaper to reload
    12 are ok to load steel or buck shot loads

Smile 12 guage reloading

Thanks to all who have given me their advice, I will take it and just stick to factory ammo.
    Thanks again to all.
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.