Thread: 100M Target Shooting - Pellet Recommendations

100M Target Shooting - Pellet Recommendations

Are there any recommendations for long range pellets?

I'm finding it hard to get wind free days to do this, but there does seem to be a problem with the traditional waisted pellets at about 50M where the groups open out ridiculously, whereas the old Logun Penetrators & the Defiant Ogives seem OK.

I just used AA field 4.52 in my recent long range group, mate. Weather conditions are a far more important factor in my experience to be honest.

ATB - Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

It could be something other than the pellet shape effecting you groupings in the wind, I have no idea why but longer barrels seem to be better at bucking the wind than shorter barrels pushing pellets at the same speed. That said try JSB heavies or bis mags, they might show some improvement in the wind.

Bb

Well if one person is geting good results with a waisted pellet, then we all should - obviously there's no major problem with the shape. I'll just have to keep trying until I find the right pellet.

Cheers chaps.

Grouping in an outdoor situation with any .177 pellet and an <12 fpe airrifle is hardly to be achieved at 100m.
    10 inch groups might be achieved. But < .50 inch groups will be very hard to shoot.

ATB,
    emi
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

Quote Originally Posted by 100m airgun View Post
    Grouping in an outdoor situation with any .177 pellet and an <12 fpe airrifle is hardly to be achieved at 100m.
    10 inch groups might be achieved. But < .50 inch groups will be very hard to shoot.

ATB,
    emi
    What's the Dutch word for *******...

That's a good group.

What sort of pellet was he using?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    What's the Dutch word for *******...

That's a good group.

What sort of pellet was he using?

Cheers.
    Hi,

The smallest group during 100m matches has been shot with a Theoben and JSB 5.51 ammo.

ATB
    emi
    100mairgun.nl (TRANSLATOR on top! )

I was just about to ask a question about 100yrd shooting as yesterday I tried my R-10mk2 at 100,there was a bit of a wind and I was shooting at a 6/10yrd airpistol target.
    I shot 10 rounds all went on the target but deffo no group,I have to say after the shoot I was disappoint thinking it would be a better than that but now I thinking maybe that was ok

Quote Originally Posted by bsa-nige View Post
    I was just about to ask a question about 100yrd shooting as yesterday I tried my R-10mk2 at 100,there was a bit of a wind and I was shooting at a 6/10yrd airpistol target.
    I shot 10 rounds all went on the target but deffo no group,I have to say after the shoot I was disappoint thinking it would be a better than that but now I thinking maybe that was ok
    You need heavy pellets (or bullets) and some speed. JSB Heavies, JSB Monsters and H&N Baracudas shooting at 860 fps or more would be my recommendation. .22 also has an edge here. people have tried .177 in 100M competitions but results have been poor so far. Wind really messes up things, in my last competiton the wind was really bad and I could only master 91mm 10 shot group. Take away 3 fliers and it shrank down to 53mm -> learn to read the wind.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

I will try some heavier pellets,I assume you shoot of a rest

Best results , well ...

Let me rephrase that , from what i've seen, ONLY the JSB's group well at longer ranges. Keep the JSB's at around 275-290 m/s .

The exceptions are some type of RWS solids that are shot by ridiculously expensive high power air rifles.

I've tried literally every pellet at longer ranges, some with a much higher quality in finish and weight consistency, but they still group like rubbish compared to the JSB's .
    Not sure why, but if i had to guess, JSB has their softness of their lead just right.

+ 1 for heavier pellets. The heavier the better - as long as those are (true 8 times of 10) JSBīs.
    Keep in mind that the heavier/longer the pellet the more oomph is needed to get it into proper rotation. Like someone mentioned the sweet spot for most airgun pellets (and for all JSBīs iīve ever tried) is at 275-285 mps. Not all Guns are capable of putting the heaviest pellets in that velocity though so use the heaviest pellet your gun is able to set to 290 mps and tune for the best velocity for your barrel/gun from there. Yours may like 280 mps instead and so on.

Itīs a shame that the barrel makers donīt do barrels with steeper rifling since that would help those guns unable to get the heavier pellets upto proper speed. The faster/steeper rifling would do it instead.