Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weston park game fair

They make it more condensed each year to cram in the ever decreasing exhibitors who will pay the exorbitant rates. Psychology.

Thought the airgun, shotguns and centrefire stuff was near on non existent this year.
    Nice to see ASI make a come back after several years away, wonder if they will attend next year.

Realistically what did the airgun Expo offer, nothing of interest no high end stuff with just BSA, Daystate, Umarex, SFS, MTC, dive bottle place have a go ranges and out of sight the European Champs. May have missed one, sorry if I have.
    Same with shotguns and centrefire, what was there just some night vision, traps, a few shop fronts and reloading stuff, no importers except ASI or proper manufacturers as years gone by.

If I want to buy tat, a spoon, cup, sweets, kids toys, cheapo tools and the like i'll go to a reliable establishment. Its nothing more than a Sunday market from a shooters perspective.
    Its been mentioned for years to get the punters in they have to get the trade and exhibitors there. Without the trade they have nothing so why rip em off. I think most would be shocked how much a tent costs, think three zeros at start point which comes out of profits, most make a loss.

weston park

took two of my mates up yesterday who have never been before, I said to them its the best game fair there is, didn't I look a right prat when they couldn't find anything to buy, what a waste of time and money.

I too got a nice deal on a second hand MTC at their stand. A Mamba 1.5 -6 x 42 no less, and Im very pleased with it. Got some half price Grubs wellies too.

Been going for the last 4 years and Ive come to the conclusion that If you want a pair of wellies, a crap knife from one of the three bladetech stands or a insanely expensive shotgun, you're well catered for. Just go with low expectations if your wanting anything airgun, because in my opinion its been getting noticably worse each year in this area.

You've all just outlined the problem for yourselves.
    As Jon ( Hareng ) says, it's expensive to have a stall there ( from memory, a grand for the weekend for a eight foot wide frontage - considerably more for bigger stalls ) - which means as a business you have to recoup a hell of a lot before it's even worth going, let alone being profitable. Yet, nigh on every post on here is a moan about how businesses weren't discounting products, or offering 'show specials'. Not one has said thanks to the guys who were there for making an effort - and trust me it is a lot of effort to do the whole weekend.
    It's a sad fact that a high percentage of the public, trundle off to these shows in full expectation of coming home carrying boat loads of gear that they've paid next to f - all for, when they return without that boat load of gear, they complain (they buy the products they were looking for anyway at full RRP at some point) but don't attend the show again. Traders see the attendance fall and don't rebook for the following year. Simple to see, even without much up top.
    Why should Jon, Shaun, MTC, Gary Cane or any of the other contributors on here, practically give their products and labour away FOC, just because it's a show? Why should Jon produce a wheel, or rail or tune a rifle for X amount of pounds usually, only to be expected to knock money off it on that day because he's gone to the trouble of paying for a pitch, transporting it to the ground, set up a stall and answered questions all day? In my opinion, the product should be offered at a higher price to cover all that.
    Surely half the enjoyment of going to shows is to see and handle products in the flesh, along with enjoying a few shows and displays along the way and nattering to mates you meet up with. If you can 'haggle a bargain' whilst you're there, then good luck to you - but you're wrong for expecting it. I've always been happy to pay for whatever I've fancied that my local shops don't stock, just so I can take it home there and then and not wait for postage.
    Tight fisted attitudes of saving a few quid on something you'd have bought in the long term regardless, will eventually ruin what should be, and what has been for me for as many years as I can recall, an enjoyable weekend away.
    If you want bargains, start drinking Anti-Freeze instead of your usual tipple.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I thought it was crap, hardly any airgun stands, only one stand that sold cartridges, thought the clothing was ok mind. I think they must be charging to much for the stands.....

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Craig-P

Nailed it in one, speaking as a high street retailer...

If you want cheap you'll get cheap, all day long. Quality costs, sometimes a lot. But worth it in the long term.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Only started shooting a few months ago and first time at a game fair. I thought it was ok plenty to see and do. Bagged a few bargains, deer hunter camo jacket and mtc range finder with good money off at the show. Enjoyed watching the gun dogs working and listening to the musicians as we ate.
    For £20 it was reasonable value given that normally to park anywhere for the day is at least a fiver to start with.
    There were some nice little craft stalls and swmbo came away with a designer bag and some earrings lol.
    Will be trying the one at Doncaster race course in October to see how it compares.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Slightly off topic, but related.

The state of Country fairs comes down to the general make up of people attending. For over ten years I have attended the Royal Norfolk Show, for most of my life prior to that I went to the East of England show. These like all the others started off as agricultural shows, so catered for those with an interest in agriculture and Countryside activities. Over time fewer people are employed in countryside related professions and so that particular audience has naturally shrunk. The majority enjoying huntn, fishn and shootn, now do it as a leisure activity when they get way from their day jobs. So their interests are more varied, i.e. the wife comes along wanting some Joules wellies to walk her shitfreezer down the high street in. The highly succesful retailers identify where the money is being spent and that's what they try and sell. Also there's the Internet of course, which is where we buy just about everything we can, so a retailer can't pay for the stall selling anything that's freely available from the ether (I have a shop if you couldn't tell).

Then there's the organisers, thousands of pounds for a stall, already covered.

Then at the Royal Norfolk the cheeky monkeys want to charge you TEN POUNDS to park on their field. That was it for me, never again, will I trample their muddy field.

These days I go to the Sandringham Game fair, it's smaller than the Royal, but a very nice atmosphere. Loads of dogs to admire and stroke, I also have a Lurcher, who can't resist sniffing everyone. You can see what's going on in the ring while your going round so you don't need a programe, and there's a good mixture of stalls. My son and I had a go at the clays, and the black powder guns, but not the air rifles, £3.50 for ten shots seemed a bit much, given the arsenel we have at home to play with.

It really does need more gun dealers there (I had nearly all my money intact when I left), but for £28.00 for four of us, I class it as a good value day out.

Dave

Shitfreezer = Bichon Frise / Shih Tzu cross, I swear it was done deliberately.

I went this year. 1st visit to the MGF in 18 years. I liked it to be honest. Got to meet up with a few guys and had a great day. As with the remarks of only the newest gear on display etc... it's only realistic that the dealers would want the newest gear they have on show. I thought it was well laid out and well run. Stalls were well managed and the staff eager to help. Got some new gear and am going to shoot in the open next year i think. If they will have me ?
    Probably for the last time. Used to be a yearly thing for a few years but then stopped. Course has changed and not sure i like the look of the new version really ? The older way was best i think. In the wood shooting through it, instead of outside shooting in, but each has their own challenge i guess !
    Down side was Mr Doe didn't make it this year due to a leg injury. A nasty one too. Best wishes to Terry and i am sure he will soldier on despite a fair old quantity of pain.

All in then, did i enjoy the fair....
    Yea i did. Going back next year so no gripes from me. I would think there is a fair old bit of work in setting it all up too so hats off to those involved

Was nice to see impact airguns there too. Spoke to Chris and got my Rapid 7 booked in for a service and got a great deal on the new GSX-T500 in FULL LEFTY MODE for just another £25.
    Very cool.
    Last edited by STEVIE JINX; 23-09-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    the latter, cider makes fat women look nice maybe if they gave you a couple of pints before you go in ...
    Just remember that the difference between a dog and a fox..... is about eight pints.

weston park game fair

well I havnt been for years cos its been getting worse but I fancied it this year so went on their web page to see what stands were going and saw bugger all of any interest so didn't bother cant understand why you lot didn't do the same you all know its gone downhill but you still go then moan its crap! if you want a show without all the tatt the indoor shooting show is the only one worth the entrance fee so go to that and be satisfied. atb tony

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    They make it more condensed each year to cram in the ever decreasing exhibitors who will pay the exorbitant rates. Psychology.

Thought the airgun, shotguns and centrefire stuff was near on non existent this year.
    Nice to see ASI make a come back after several years away, wonder if they will attend next year.

Realistically what did the airgun Expo offer, nothing of interest no high end stuff with just BSA, Daystate, Umarex, SFS, MTC, dive bottle place have a go ranges and out of sight the European Champs. May have missed one, sorry if I have.
    Same with shotguns and centrefire, what was there just some night vision, traps, a few shop fronts and reloading stuff, no importers except ASI or proper manufacturers as years gone by.

If I want to buy tat, a spoon, cup, sweets, kids toys, cheapo tools and the like i'll go to a reliable establishment. Its nothing more than a Sunday market from a shooters perspective.
    Its been mentioned for years to get the punters in they have to get the trade and exhibitors there. Without the trade they have nothing so why rip em off. I think most would be shocked how much a tent costs, think three zeros at start point which comes out of profits, most make a loss.
    says it all rip off britan